Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dark Souls 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
Ham Woopan
Praisin' the Sun

Ham Woopan Jr's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   1,000 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Blue Cathedral Boss *Spoilers*

I'm sure anyone who's played the first Dark Souls knows why I'm talking about this boss in particular. When I first entered the fog door and saw the name Old Dragonslayer I thought "Well this doesn't sound fun" but once he dashed towards me my mouth dropped. I felt mixed emotions of confusion and amusement as Ornstein started to stab away at me. I loved how he had most of the same moves as I beat him with ease and I understand the fan service of adding one half of one of the most beloved bosses from the first game but after defeating him I sat in the Cathedral for an hour just thinking of a logical reason as to why he's here and I can only come up with two.

1. This is the real Ornstein. The O&S we fought in Anor Londo was just another of Gwyndolin's illusions and somehow the real one ended up here. It would make sense as to why his armor looks tattered and why has the Leo Ring in his position although this would mean he's got be thousands of years old and this fact alone seems very unlikely. Also doesn't make sense as to why he would resort to using Hexes but I'm sure after all these years his faith in the Gods could have diminished.

2. The one I believe is that this is just an impostor/really big fan. Somehow he either got hold of Ornstein's armor or just crafted their own which explains the absent of the golden aura. They also could have found the Leo Ring either somewhere in Anor Londo or maybe The Chosen Undead's equipment was strewn about throughout the years. I keep thinking about the corpse where you find the Wolf Ring; it's just sitting on a ledge in the Darkroot Garden worn by a regular human-sized body so it's not uncommon for someone else to own a Four Knight ring. The description of it being old and tattered is just that, withering away with age. The fact that he's not as agile and can't float above the ground anymore can go towards either theory.

So far all I've cleared out was the Forest of Fallen Giants and half of Heide's Tower of Flame but I already know this is going to be one of my favorite bosses in the game purely from the fan service alone.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
BloodGodAlucard

BloodGodAlucard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I agree. I loved the fan service of seeing Ornstein again. He was one of my favorite bosses in the first game. I really hope at some point in the game that we can acquire a set of that sexy new black armor he has. I'd definitely be interested in wearing it. Even if only for cosplay/roleplaying purposes.

Completed: 74 Retail Games and 7 Arcade Games

Proudest Completion to Date: Dark Souls 1000/1000 on Xbox 360 and 1000/1000 on PC
BloodGodAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Puppys
Dawn of the Final Day

Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff Club - KillerBEA   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Community Gaming - Silver
Total Awards: 39 (more» ...)
Very interesting theories, I wish we knew more about the lore.

18 Destiny raid clears and I'm still not level 30. Isn't RNG the best???
Puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
xXZDeadpoolZXx

Send a message via Skype™ to xXZDeadpoolZXx

xXZDeadpoolZXx's Gamercard
Ornstein was by far my most favorite and memorable boss fight out of the whole Soul's series. Intense fight, sick armor, amazing weapon that could be crafted later on, it was just truly epic let alone the soundtrack used to make the battle much more awesome! I was amazed to see him make a comeback in the game! As for if he is an illusion or not I don't think so, but with Dark Soul's you can never be too sure.
xXZDeadpoolZXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
H1gher Reflex

H1gher Reflex's Gamercard
I'm of the opinion that it's the same Ornstein from 1. When you die you go hollow. Who's to say he's not hollow himself under that armor? Died and ended up in Drangleic and started collecting souls. Possibly restored his humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A R 4 D View Post
Who gives a fuck if you're a bad sport, you have a tank..
H1gher Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Considering he uses dark magic I would imagine he may have been brought back by the power of the Abyss. Who is to say a fragment of the old one didn't just find a suitable host (without spoiling any of the story for DS2)?

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #7
a hippyslayer

xThe LArchitect's Gamercard
While I slayed the Dragonrider easily, I needed help with this one. My sorcerer just couldn't cut it yet...

Currently Playing:
Dark Souls (Windows Live), El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Battlefield 4 (X1), Ruse, a grip of Windows Phone Games and Windows 8 games

No worries I'm not an Xbox Live rock star. Send friend requests and messages as you will and I will respond. You're playing video games, you're not busy curing cancer.
a hippyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
My mouth hit the floor too. It was a serious nerd-out moment as soon as I saw him. I kept waiting for Smough to come falling out of the sky. It was awesome and a let down he ended up being so easy to beat... I kinda felt bad for it. I kinda hoped he'd just beat my ass about 6 dozen times before I finally got passed him, but it only took the first try. Still an awesome inclusion and I hope there are more surprises like this! Just imagine an Artorias AND Sif fight AT THE SAME TIME... yeah!

Even if his inclusion has nothing to do with the lore and is pure fan-service, it is still going to be my most favorite boss fight and I still have quite a bit more game to go, as far as I can tell.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
KillerBEA
New Job!

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA
Total Awards: 27 (more» ...)
My first reaction when I saw him was "Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him." I was terrified that Smough might come busting through the wall like the Kool-aid man during the middle of the fight or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H1gher Reflex View Post
I'm of the opinion that it's the same Ornstein from 1. When you die you go hollow. Who's to say he's not hollow himself under that armor? Died and ended up in Drangleic and started collecting souls. Possibly restored his humanity.
Yeah thats one of the reasons I came up with for him being there. It's very possible that he went hollow and he was gathering souls for himself.

My other theory is that its one of Ornstein's fellow Dragon Slayer buddies. Something in my gut tells me its not actually Ornstein but one of his companions in Dragon Slaying.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Puppys
Dawn of the Final Day

Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff Club - KillerBEA   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891   Community Gaming - Silver
Total Awards: 39 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBEA View Post
My first reaction when I saw him was "Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him Why him." I was terrified that Smough might come busting through the wall like the Kool-aid man during the middle of the fight or something.
Ahahaha, new sig time!

18 Destiny raid clears and I'm still not level 30. Isn't RNG the best???
Puppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Int3rnalF3ar

Krayzie OutKast's Gamercard
My friend and I were discussing the game, and we started to talk about the Blacksmith's daughter. When she goes back to Majula, if you talk to her, she mentions how Drangleic wasn't always there, and it's believed to have just been built on top of a old kingdom. She says that several kingdoms existed before, but they just keep building on top. My friend has the theory that Drangleic was simply built over Lodron, and it could be the very same Ornstein, which is why he's the "old" dragonslayer now. And over time, he became more corrupted, I guess, which is why he uses dark magic and has a darker look to him.

1200/1200 Halo Wars
1700/1700 Halo: Reach
1000/1000 Halo: CE Anniversary
1000/1000 Halo 2 (PC)
1000/1000 Halo 3: ODST
1750/1750 Halo 3
250/250 Halo: Spartan Assault (Windows 8)
250/250 Halo: Spartan Assault (Windows Phone)
400/400 Halo: Spartan Assault (Xbox 360)
1000/1000 Halo: Spartan Assault (Xbox One)
2000/2000 Halo 4
0/4000 Halo: Master Chief Collection

532/932 total achievements unlocked.
Int3rnalF3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Shiftie

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Int3rnalF3ar View Post
My friend has the theory that Drangleic was simply built over Lodron, and it could be the very same Ornstein, which is why he's the "old" dragonslayer now. And over time, he became more corrupted, I guess, which is why he uses dark magic and has a darker look to him.
A lot of the NPCs talk about how countless kingdoms have come and gone in the land now known as Drangleic, and this was just another one of many. Considering what you can do when you join the Pilgrims of the Dark, I think the Old Dragonslayer is just Ornstein reborn a man possessed by the Abyss and he just escaped (or was let lose?) the Dark Chasm of old somehow.

(^Literally the coolest part of SWTOR)
Shiftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Ham Woopan
Praisin' the Sun

Ham Woopan Jr's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   1,000 Posts   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
I killed one of the pyromancers in Central Earthen Peak and it dropped the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring+1 from the first game. The description is:

"A ring used long ago in a land that existed where Drangleic does now. Extends length of spell effect.

Presumably, this is ring was used by a high sorcerer, but no proof of suck remains."

That basically confirms that Drangleic was once Lordran or at least Vinheim. It also explains as to why everybody is being drawn to this place once they go undead. Still have not beaten the game but the theory seems pretty solid.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
Dart572

Dartflame572's Gamercard
I want to believe it's the original Ornstein, somehow corrupted or even just really old, turning away from Gwyn and the light to maybe embrace a different path, if you notice, he has his butt slam attack, and maybe that means he did have to absorb Smough at some point, all I can say for sure is that his boss theme is awesome.
Dart572 is offline   Reply With Quote