PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Dragon's Lair
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #91
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Minty   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaThrice View Post
When I said entering the lair I meant the final scene (dragon's lair).
Oh, when I tested it out, it didn't give out the 49 points for the first point-awarding scene (which was the Crumbling Vestibule). I still don't know why they did that; it seems stupid if you ask me, or maybe it wasn't intentional and they didn't realize it before it was released. The only difference between the modes *should* be that on Arcade the scene after you die is random and on Home you keep repeating it until you clear it.

And why the hell is the first whirlpool missing from the Hard difficulty? What purpose does it serve? Yeah, I can understand the extra moves required for a higher difficulty, but to completely cut out and entire move? Dumb.

Maybe people are assuming that you aren't getting the 49 points for entering the dragon's lair because their they only notice then that the points are 49 less than they should be (288,494 as opposed to 288,543), but in reality it goes all the way back to the first scene where they don't get the points and they aren't noticing that.

Another thing I gotta test out, but I think I'm right, since after 6 or 7 games in Home mode, none of them gave me 49 points for the first point-awarding scene. I never made it to the dragon's lair since I had thought I figured it out.

Also, according to the forums on PS3T.org, Yoshi_Girl also states that you miss out on the 49 points for the first scene at the beginning of the game (not the lair) in Home mode.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/1583647-post4.html

Last edited by bLaKgRaVy; 05-27-2012 at 05:01 PM.
bLaKgRaVy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #92
Ddraig Gymraeg

Scary Superstar's Gamercard
Great guide - got Lair King on my first attempt. Thanks!
Ddraig Gymraeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #93
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Platinum   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Minty   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 2   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Gymraeg View Post
Great guide - got Lair King on my first attempt. Thanks!
Awesome, glad to hear it!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #94
L0cke89

Send a message via ICQ to L0cke89 Send a message via MSN to L0cke89

L0cke89's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLaKgRaVy View Post
Ok, I do think that the missing 3,255 points is user error, and here's why:

The scoring guide says:
3-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given at any of the three stops."
9-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given for any one successful move at ANY of the nine stops."

This is false, plain and simple. The rest of the scoring guide is dead on balls accurate, but here it isn't. Again, this was written from the original arcade cabinet scoring method, not any of the 66 iterations after that.

I just tested both the 3- and 9-ledge scenes, and you are NOT awarded 3,255 points for jumping off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. If you jump off at the 1st or 2nd of the 3-ledge platform or jump off at the 1st through 8th ledge of the 9-ledge platform, you get ZERO points. You do, however, get the bonus points on the 9-ledge platform for waiting until you reach the third set of ledges (the points are different in the regular and mirrored scenes), but only jumping off at the last possible ledge awards you 3,255 points.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling anyone a liar when they say they jump off at the correct platform, but people are miscounting; that's got to be it. Why do some people get it and others don't? If the game was glitched, it would glitch for every single copy, not a select few people. I'm sorry, but it has to be because of user error. There is no other explanation.

I can't stress enough that you save every time you reach this scene. For good measure, pause the game and write down the points you have when Dirk jumps on the platform (the 49 points for starting the scene have already been added), and let the platform fall. If you are still alive when the 4th ledge appears, then count correctly and jump off at the 9th ledge. If you crash, reload and jump off at the 3rd. Then, when the next scene starts and you see the 49 points added, pause it again and write that number down. Then subtract the lower number from the higher one. Depending on if it was the 3- or 9-ledge scene, you should get:

3,304 points for either 3-ledge scene (regular or mirrored)
5,292 points for the regular 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his left hip)
5,619 points for the mirrored 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his right hip)

This is the only (and simplest) way to check if you've been having trouble with "Lair King".
I've just done that with arcade cabinet turned on and both move and beep guide turned off. Still just 285288. I did everything according to all the guids, which I've read several times before.

There has to be some kind of glitch. Just because not everbody experiences it, doesn't mean it can't be a glitch. If not, it is something else, but I did every other thing accoarding to your walkthrough and only saved at the beginning of each scene right when I got the 49 points.

Well, will try again tomorrow.

EDIT: Got it today, first try. This time with everything turned on. I sure as hell didn't do anything different. I looked where it was possible to jump at the 9th stage and did 3rd and 9th both 2 times. Once normal and once mirrored. The same way I did it yesterday. Nothing else was different, except I was WAY quicker since I used the move and beep guides.

Well, at least I'm done now, though it was fun to play. And I never played this game before, only watched playthroughs of this, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2.

1st on x360a to 200/200 Bastion and 400/400 THPS:HD

Last edited by L0cke89; 05-31-2012 at 02:32 PM.
L0cke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #95
Turdboi

Turdboi's Gamercard
Thanks alot for this guide, amazing detail and really easy too follow, and the complete walkthrough was just as good bud. Cheers.

Turdboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #96
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0cke89 View Post
I've just done that with arcade cabinet turned on and both move and beep guide turned off. Still just 285288. I did everything according to all the guids, which I've read several times before.

There has to be some kind of glitch. Just because not everbody experiences it, doesn't mean it can't be a glitch. If not, it is something else, but I did every other thing accoarding to your walkthrough and only saved at the beginning of each scene right when I got the 49 points.

EDIT: Got it today, first try. This time with everything turned on. I sure as hell didn't do anything different. I looked where it was possible to jump at the 9th stage and did 3rd and 9th both 2 times. Once normal and once mirrored. The same way I did it yesterday. Nothing else was different, except I was WAY quicker since I used the move and beep guides.

Well, at least I'm done now, though it was fun to play. And I never played this game before, only watched playthroughs of this, Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2.
When I got it, I had the move guide off, but the move beeps on. I played again with the move guide on got to the dragon's lair with the correct score. I've never played a game with the move beeps off, and really don't intend to (maybe I should just to verify). I can't imagine that having either of those on or off would make a difference in the scoring, same with the arcade overlay vs. full screen. It just doesn't make any sense. This are visual and audio settings that should have nothing to do with the scoring in the game, but, stranger things have happened.

Glad to hear you got it. It's an easy game; I don't know why I had so much trouble with it in the arcade when I was 12.

I played Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II only a handful of times. I found them confusing as they weren't separate scenes like Dragon's Lair, they were continuous "movies", and I could never get the moves right.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #97
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdboi View Post
Thanks alot for this guide, amazing detail and really easy too follow, and the complete walkthrough was just as good bud. Cheers.
Thanks for the support!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #98
MindVortex

MindVortex's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLaKgRaVy

Lair King - 20
[I
Got a high score of 427,469 (Controller Mode).[/I]

[*]After your first death, after Dirk says "Wow", you should have 315,388 (4 lives left). Save the game.
Slight correction here. That number should actually be 315,338.

Last edited by MindVortex; 06-16-2012 at 01:56 AM.
MindVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #99
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindVortex View Post
Slight correction here. That number should actually be 315,338.
Got it. I probably calculated it correctly but just typed it wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #100
MikeRo

Send a message via ICQ to MikeRo Send a message via MSN to MikeRo Send a message via Skype™ to MikeRo

Konung l's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Got it. I probably calculated it correctly but just typed it wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.
Yep, I was intending to point that out too.
I had to play all 5 sequencies without saving as I wasn't sure if my 315 338 were correct. The truth is that one replaying sequence (except 5th) gives you 26795 points.
Anyway, it's a gorgeous guide, thank you.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRo View Post
Yep, I was intending to point that out too.
I had to play all 5 sequences without saving as I wasn't sure if my 315 338 were correct. The truth is that one replaying sequence (except 5th) gives you 26795 points.
Anyway, it's a gorgeous guide, thank you.
I'm sorry you had to do that! Hopefully you didn't die while in the lair. That would have sucked to be on the last life then die and have to do it all over again (although it's only like 5 minutes). My bad for not typing the score right. I should have caught that in my many proofreads.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #102
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Ok, I do think that the missing 3,255 points is user error, and here's why:

The scoring guide says:
3-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given at any of the three stops."
9-Ledge - "The score of 3,255 would be given for any one successful move at ANY of the nine stops."

This is false, plain and simple. The rest of the scoring guide is dead on balls accurate, but here it isn't. Again, this was written from the original arcade cabinet scoring method, not any of the 66 iterations after that.

I just tested both the 3- and 9-ledge scenes, and you are NOT awarded 3,255 points for jumping off at any ledge other than the 3rd or 9th. If you jump off at the 1st or 2nd of the 3-ledge platform or jump off at the 1st through 8th ledge of the 9-ledge platform, you get ZERO points. You do, however, get the bonus points on the 9-ledge platform for waiting until you reach the third set of ledges (the points are different in the regular and mirrored scenes), but only jumping off at the last possible ledge awards you 3,255 points.

Make no mistake, I'm not calling anyone a liar when they say they jump off at the correct platform, but people are miscounting; that's got to be it. Why do some people get it and others don't? If the game was glitched, it would glitch for every single copy, not a select few people. I'm sorry, but it has to be because of user error. There is no other explanation.

I can't stress enough that you save every time you reach this scene. For good measure, pause the game and write down the points you have when Dirk jumps on the platform (the 49 points for starting the scene have already been added), and let the platform fall. If you are still alive when the 4th ledge appears, then count correctly and jump off at the 9th ledge. If you crash, reload and jump off at the 3rd. Then, when the next scene starts and you see the 49 points added, pause it again and write that number down. Then subtract the lower number from the higher one. Depending on if it was the 3- or 9-ledge scene, you should get:

3,304 points for either 3-ledge scene (regular or mirrored)
5,292 points for the regular 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his left hip)
5,619 points for the mirrored 9-ledge scene (Dirk's sword is on his right hip)

This is the only (and simplest) way to check if you've been having trouble with "Lair King".
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0cke89 View Post
I've just done that with arcade cabinet turned on and both move and beep guide turned off. Still just 285288. I did everything according to all the guide, which I've read several times before.

There has to be some kind of glitch. Just because not everybody experiences it, doesn't mean it can't be a glitch. If not, it is something else, but I did every other thing according to your walkthrough and only saved at the beginning of each scene right when I got the 49 points.

Quote:
When I got it, I had the move guide off, but the move beeps on. I played again with the move guide on got to the dragon's lair with the correct score. I've never played a game with the move beeps off, and really don't intend to (maybe I should just to verify). I can't imagine that having either of those on or off would make a difference in the scoring, same with the arcade overlay vs. full screen. It just doesn't make any sense. This are visual and audio settings that should have nothing to do with the scoring in the game, but, stranger things have happened.

Glad to hear you got it. It's an easy game; I don't know why I had so much trouble with it in the arcade when I was 12.
Ok, so maybe it isn't user error... I'm sorry if it seems like I accused anyone of lying or anything like that. That was never my intention, but I couldn't think of any other explanation since it had never happened to me (until now). And I couldn't fathom why it would glitch for some and not for others. If it's a glitch, it should happen on all copies, no? I guess this falls in the same category as Lego games...

I just played through the game three times in the past 3 days for two friends of mine. The first two times I came up with the score of 285,288 (first time the Move Guide was off, the second time it was on. Both times I was playing in Full Screen). No clue how that happened, since I've always played every scene the same exact way for 29 years.

So my first friend has all the achievements except for "Lair King" (didn't feel like running through again at the time). I'll get it for him eventually. When I played it last night for my other friend, again, I got 285,288 (with the Move Guide on/Full Screen). I had saved at the beginning of every scene every time. I was like WTF? Is the score not calculating correctly? So I decided to run through on Easy Arcade a second time.

This time, after saving, I noted the score at the beginning of the current scene and at the beginning of the next scene, subtracted and compared the score to the scoring chart to make sure I got the correct amount of points. Everything for every single scene was correct, and I got to the lair with 288,543. I think the game knew I was checking the score so it decided not to fuck up to make me even more confused.

I made sure that on moves that you can do two moves (i.e. pressing Up or Right, for example, with the same results) gave me the same amount of points. I thought that maybe if I had done it one way it wouldn't give me the points, but I was incorrect in thinking that.

I didn't do the shortcut move on the Giddy Goon scene the second playthrough either (but did the first time). But it has been proven that it has no affect on the score (I've tested it both ways many times and I end the scene with the same amount of points).

I also didn't miss that third move in the Snake Room for 49 points. But that point is moot since I wasn't missing 49 points, I was missing 3,255 points.

I did notice, however, that on the falling platform scene, I played all four like normal. I did the 9-ledge one first then the 3-ledge. Then I played the mirrored 9-ledge and then the 3-ledge one again NOT mirrored. I thought that was very strange, because in all my other playthroughs, I'm 99.99% positive that there were two regular and two mirrored. Am I wrong? Although it didn't affect my score, maybe that had an affect on the score previously?

As DakotaThrice pointed out in post #45, there are 9 possibilities where the score might be glitching. My suggestion for these scenes is save at the beginning of these scenes (as you should be doing already) and check your score at the beginning of the scene in question. Play through it then at the beginning of the next scene, subtract and see if you got the correct amount of points (do not save when you get to the next scene in case the score glitched. Save only when you are sure you got the correct amount of points on that previous scene). It's a little work, but avoids all kinds of headaches. Believe me.

Scenes with a move worth 3,255 points (move is in bold):
  • Falling Platform (Three Floors, both regular and mirrored) - Only jumping off at the 3rd ledge awards you with 3,255. - 3,304 points total
  • Cauldron Room - U, S, D, S, R - 12,267 points total
  • Giddy Goons - S, R, S (or U), U - 5,009 points total
  • Pool Room - L, U, R, U, L, U, S, R, U - 28,762 points total
  • Pool Room (mirrored) - R, U, L, U, R, U, S, L, U - 31,462 points total
  • Throne Room - R, R (or U), R, R - 9,244 points total
  • Falling Platform (Nine Floors) - Again, Only jumping off at the 9th ledge awards you with 3,255. - 5,292 points total
  • Falling Platform (Nine Floors, mirrored) - Again, Only jumping off at the 9th ledge awards you with 3,255. - 5,619 points total
  • Dragon's Lair - L, L, L, L, L, R, U, S, S, U, S - 31,795 points total
Hopefully if people who play this try this method, they'll have no problem getting "Lair King" in one playthrough. I'm sorry if I doubted anyone.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #103
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Ok, if no one else can see an issue with the guide, I'm going to submit it (not that it's going to be published anytime soon; my Mayhem guide was submitted over a year ago and it hasn't been published yet).

I'll wait a couple of days before submitting in case someone has a question about something or if I need to change/edit anything. Thanks everyone for the input and support.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #104
MikeRo

Send a message via ICQ to MikeRo Send a message via MSN to MikeRo Send a message via Skype™ to MikeRo

Konung l's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
I'm sorry you had to do that! Hopefully you didn't die while in the lair. That would have sucked to be on the last life then die and have to do it all over again (although it's only like 5 minutes). My bad for not typing the score right. I should have caught that in my many proofreads.
Don't worry. By the time I made it to the last scene I was a PRO in these QTE, so I made it 4 times without saving
This even improved my skills in Asura's Wrath.

Quote:
I just played through the game three times in the past 3 days for two friends of mine. The first two times I came up with the score of 285,288 (first time the Move Guide was off, the second time it was on. Both times I was playing in Full Screen). No clue how that happened, since I've always played every scene the same exact way for 29 years.
My first run for a highscore ended with incorrect score, though I've got all the ledges scenes to the max.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #105
* Clueless *

Clueless 726's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - * Clueless *   Submit - Silver   The Helping Hand   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Congrats bLaKgRaVy!
Your guide has been published!
Dragon's Lair [Guide & Roadmap]
It was written and organized really well!! Keep up the good work
Cheers!
* Clueless * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #106
bLaKgRaVy

bLaKgRaVy's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Like Me View Post
Congrats bLaKgRaVy!
Your guide has been published!
Dragon's Lair [Guide & Roadmap]
It was written and organized really well!! Keep up the good work
Cheers!
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #107
envint251

robandines's Gamercard
Congrats on the guide, although try as I might I cannot get Lair King to unlock. I've given up at this stage. Great guide though!

envint251 is offline   Reply With Quote