PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Flashback
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
Thanks For Nothing Vector Cell

I remember the day I heard the news, Flashback was coming to the Xbox Arcade. I was insanely excited, this is a game I had owned on two consoles growing up, played it through a dozen times on each, and was one of my all-time favorite games.

There was finally a release date, and I counted down the days until it released. I sat on the 800 MS Points to buy it for over a month in anticipation just to completely ensure that there was no way possible I wouldn't be able to buy it the first minute it was released.

FINALLY ITS HERE! I boot up the game and decide the first thing i'm going to do is fire up the original from the menu just to bring back a few of those fuzzy memories of gaming past. The screen is tiny, and there's some strange glare disrupting the already small visual area. The cut scenes begin, absolute silence... I mean nothing. No sound? Is this broken? Was there an error while downloading? So I delete it and redownload it again, same issue. Surely they didn't put the original game on here with no sound, something that obviously broken wouldn't go unnoticed, would it?

Apparently it was, yet the game released anyway. Disappointed by this I finally head into the normal game. At first i'm excited, playing on the first stage, retracing my steps like I had long before and pick up that holo-cube.

Then the bugs begin.. jumping in the air to grab a ledge that my back is to, going into an odd climbing animation and falling down taking damage. Then my game freezes, after booting back up I fall through the terrain at some point, apparently there was a hole in the log I was walking on that punishes you so badly for stepping in it that you have to dashboard and restart the game.

Then there are the Virtual Challenges, oh the randomness. The stealth challenge made my skin crawl, its been a long time since i've encountered so many BS situations that I experienced while attempting to finish this challenge. Walk up behind an enemy, prompted to hit B, you do, punch him twice and he hits the ground with a yellow flash followed by "you have been spotted" and you start over again.

And then there's the randomness of sphere collecting, most notably the last one, collect 22 spheres. It was so much fun to sit on 19 or 20 spheres, health severely depleted just to kill 5-6 enemies in a row and have them drop NOTHING. Will they drop one? two? three? Or torture you in a string of nothingness and you get to start all over again.

By the time I finished the campaign I hated the entire experience, the controls sucked, the jumping was irritating, the mechanics of throwing grenades while attempting to aim them was just atrocious, I was literally using both of my thumbs to steady my thumbstick to keep the grenade path steady enough to throw it where I wanted it to go. Move it a fraction of a millimeter and chaos ensues starting the entire damn grenade aiming fiasco all over again.

So thanks Vector Cell for stomping on my childhood memories and releasing this unfinished and bugged out turd of a game that I looked forward to so rabidly and spent my 800 points on. Maybe game development isn't your thing, maybe it's time to start making cell phone apps or flash games or something, because its becoming obvious that developing a fully functioning and quality xbox arcade game is beyond you. First Amy and now this.

I retract any initial positive comments I left on these forums when I prematurely was slightly enjoying this game. Maybe some great games are better left in the past and in our memories, because bringing this one back left a sour taste in my mouth about Flashback as a whole now, and i'm not sure how I feel about it anymore.
MabusScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Man I can only agree with you. I was so pumped to play this game and after 2-3 playthroughs I was like .

The most stupid/weird/not logical part for me was that the leveling system exceeds LV30 and you gain nothing after that point. Not more power, health nor any further skill-points to spend on.

Oh well I still got the good old memory from back then in 1992 when I played the classic.

Signature by BAD VII

1st worldwide who "officially" completed [FLASHBACK] a 100%!
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Durdens Wrath

DURDENS WRATH's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuSt BLaZe View Post
Man I can only agree with you. I was so pumped to play this game and after 2-3 playthroughs I was like .

The most stupid/weird/not logical part for me was that the leveling system exceeds LV30 and you gain nothing after that point. Not more power, health nor any further skill-points to spend on.

Oh well I still got the good old memory from back then in 1992 when I played the classic.
My biggest bitch is that I could swear that I 100% every map, and didn't get the explorer. Should I just check before the last section and see the completion %?

Durdens Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
JuSt BLaZe

BLAZE VII's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Diamond   5,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Gold   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durdens Wrath View Post
My biggest bitch is that I could swear that I 100% every map, and didn't get the explorer. Should I just check before the last section and see the completion %?
That's is exactly the key to get the 100% achievement!

Signature by BAD VII

1st worldwide who "officially" completed [FLASHBACK] a 100%!
JuSt BLaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Pp79

Pp79's Gamercard
In my first run, the squares forgotten were in the basement of the club and the right one before the first brain in the last level.
A check in stats before finishing a level is the best idea indeed to get this achievement.

Last edited by Pp79; 08-25-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Pp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Earthbound_X

EarthboundX's Gamercard
Did people not realize this was being made by the same developers who made Amy?

I personally didn't look it up until I beat the game for the first time. I have no attachment to the original, so I didn't pay attention when this was announced.

But yeah Vector Cell made Amy, one of the worst reviewed games of 2012.

Earthbound_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Wicelow

Wicelow's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Yeah it's a shame that the game is so bad :-/
Last "funny" things I ran into is a corrupted save... Not quite sure I'm gonna start again at level 1

Wicelow is offline   Reply With Quote