Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Crackdown
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
JoeBacofoil1

JoeBacofoil's Gamercard
Anyone enjoying this?

I appreciate its free and 'retro' but anyone else finding this game very tedious?
JoeBacofoil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
It's not 'retro', it's just old. Probably cutting edge for the time.

I like it. It's packed with stuff to do and there's enough variations in the combat to stop me getting bored. If I had to manually aim it'd be too slow and I'd be playing very conservatively but I'm mowing people down mid-air with my LMG whilst doing 180s, tossing grenades across rooftops and spin kicking any enemy who dares to get too close. Maybe give their corpse a good kicking to drive the point home.

Speaking of driving, it's probably the weakest point of the game. Most of the cars vary from annoying understeer into annoying oversteer missing out that sweet spot in the middle, but I've found a few cars that suit my style like The Agency Buggy.
Oncoming traffic has a tendency to swerve right in front of me during races, but once I get one of the BIG cars they won't be a problem.

Also impressed with the vast space and the ability to jump anywhere you feel like. Lots of freedom, cuts down on road based tedium of having to drive the same routes again and again. The draw distances are phenominal too. You can stand on the agency tower and see all the skyscrapers on all 3 islands as well as cars travelling across the bridges.

Maybe you have to play some ancient pop-up infested turd like Carmageddon on the PS to appreciate something technical like that. You couldn't even see the end of the road in most cases.

Lots of stairwells, tunnels, climbable signs and alternate ruotes into boss liars show that a lot of detail was put into this place to make it more than just a bunch of big boxes you stand on then jump off of. The labyrinth of those La Mugre apartments on the Los Muertes island is pretty impressive.
Only issue I have is that some windows that look climbable actually aren't and can leave you with an impressively twisted corpse.

That said I can see leaving this game being pretty easy. Easy to pick up, easy to put down.

Last edited by Hurricane Of 87; 08-21-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
JoeBacofoil1

JoeBacofoil's Gamercard
You make some good points and I suppose I just get spoilt by the new games and the innovation they bring, I must admit I do like the combat idea, but not the execution, the auto aim constantly locking onto dead bodies..

Cant play for long before another game calls to me so making very slow progress through this game, one gang leader at a time.

RE carmageddon: That game looks insane, love how you get less than a second to take a 90 degree corner!
JoeBacofoil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
MabusScarab

Mabus Incarnate's Gamercard
Even with it's age I still think it's a pretty brilliant game personally. I wish games like GTA would expand out more like Crackdown does, you can literally go anywhere you want on the tallest building or mountain or inside 90% of the buildings. I don't find it tedious in the slightest, if I get bored hunting down gang bosses, i'll work on Orbs. If that gets boring i'll work on building skills with specific killing methods. The races, stunt rings, collection of vehicles, and pretty varied fun achievements makes it very wide open to hold your attention. It's a game I played when it originally released, never got all the achievements for, and now i'm back into it liking it as much as I used to.
MabusScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Creech
Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Creech

Just Creech's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff - Administrator   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 2   Thought, Precision and Planning Club - Tier 1   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Andrew x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Micro Guide - Gold   Achievement Guide - Emerald   Road Map - Emerald   CABS Beta Tester   Artist of the Month
Total Awards: 40 (more» ...)
Agreed, this is one of the better games on the 360 in my opinion. I had a blast all the way to the very last orb, and Crackdown 2 was even better. That being said, it isn't for everybody and that is okay.

You might try co-op with someone who has unlocked every weapon if you get stuck. When my son started playing it a few years back, we actually went through the entire campaign in about an hour just by going in guns blazing with decent hardware.

Awake, Alert, & Enthusiastic!
The Silicon Rule: If the product is free, then you are the product.
Creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
JelmerF

jelmerf's Gamercard
It's not bad at all. I remember playing the demo years ago when it came out, but never liked it. Now I'm further into the game, it's really fun. In my case, the demo didn't do justice to the game, too bad. Would have bought it back then when it came out would I have known it was an OK game.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Ninja Eagle

Captain Cotchy's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Glad you guys like the game. It may be old, but it sure as hell is fun and addicting. Very underrated and deserved some more accolades. Hopefully they make a Crackdown 3, because it's a day 1 purchase for me!

Ninja Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Galarzaa90

Galarzaa90's Gamercard
I had never heard of this game before, and when I downloaded it I thought it was going to be a boring game, small map, etcetera.

Then I started playing and I inmediatly liked it, I see it as a more relaxed GTA, kinda like the old GTA's, I've been having a lot of fun with this game.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
The Duke of Darkness

The Allslayer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galarzaa90 View Post
I had never heard of this game before, and when I downloaded it I thought it was going to be a boring game, small map, etcetera.

Then I started playing and I inmediatly liked it, I see it as a more relaxed GTA, kinda like the old GTA's, I've been having a lot of fun with this game.
Well it was made by the guy that created GTA.
The Duke of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
wow if you think Crackdown is "retro" then you must be like 15.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Dumple Pumpskin

Dumple Pumpskin's Gamercard
I'm honestly not enjoying it too much. I abandoned the game before completing all the achievements years ago, and now I am reminded why. It's age really shows. The controls and camera can be just terrible at times ... the map is pretty useless, featuring no points of interest (orbs, races, stunts) ... there is no in-game indication that any given race has been completed ... a maxed out character can still die in a matter of seconds when confronted with the endless waves of low-level grunts...
Dumple Pumpskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
xRaW CaRNage x

Send a message via Yahoo to xRaW CaRNage x Send a message via Skype™ to xRaW CaRNage x

xRaw Carnage's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
There is some obvious flaws to crackdown but overall it is a very enjoyable game for me. I like most played it on release and now have come back to it to mop up some achievements. Yes you can tell it's age but being able to leap buildings is pretty fucking cool to me.

I also like the wide open feel to it. Much like prototype had. Being able to coop the entire game is great too. Blowing up everything in your path is great. Really crackdown is mindless fun.

My biggest gripe is the driving controls. Terrible maneuvering, over steering, bad camera angles etc etc.
xRaW CaRNage x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
AHZacary

Send a message via Skype™ to AHZacary

PEECHEEBUMBUM's Gamercard
I think its a very great game in the fact that its very original and had a new type of gameplay
AHZacary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Hurricane Of 87

Hurricane Of 87's Gamercard
Quote:
The controls and camera can be just terrible at times ...
Only poor controls are with some of the vehicles and the cameras been great most of the time. It gets a bit too close and then makes sharp turn when you go running of in any direction that isn't forward which is slightly disorientating. Still, at least they had the foresight to make your character transparent in those situations (Camera too close) so you could still see the environment.

Quote:
the map is pretty useless, featuring no points of interest (orbs, races, stunts)
Bosses and supply points! Agreed on the races, not sure why they couldn't have been on the big map instead of having to comb the islands before they pop up on the minimap. Or their light columns reach into the sky Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon style.
The orbs and stunt markers absence are obvious a choice they made to increase the game's longevity, feelings may vary.

Quote:
there is no in-game indication that any given race has been completed
Pause. Achievements. Scroll down to Road Warrior or Over Our Heads. You'll see the sub-achievements that tell you the appropriate races you've done/missed. Pretty ahead of it's time I'd say. Lucky if we get a counter sometimes.

Quote:
... a maxed out character can still die in a matter of seconds when confronted with the endless waves of low-level grunts...
Wouldn't be much of a game if you couldn't be killed. Yeah that's right Saints Row The Third, I'm talking about you!
Hurricane Of 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
IEO500

IEO500's Gamercard
Give the game a break! I mean it's 2005 OLD! It is a bit like... cartoony style graphics but personally I thought some parts of this game surpassed features in GTA IV and Saints Row! If you want it to be better go buy Crackdown 2...
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #16
petmill

petmill's Gamercard
it didn't have the best graphics. But it was an entertaining game.
petmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #17
Squidward568

Squidward568's Gamercard
Whilst the graphics were a hinderence, I believe that this was one of the best games to ever have been released. With a vast array of things to do, I found myself never getting bored!
Squidward568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Thatcat8

thatcat8's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Lovin it'.
Thatcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #19
StrangeStatic

Strange Static's Gamercard
Loved this game. Wanted to get all the gamerscore for it, but after I finished it, I ended up deleting my save file and now I don't wanna go through the hassle of redoing the game.
StrangeStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #20
Thatcat8

thatcat8's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeStatic View Post
Loved this game. Wanted to get all the gamerscore for it, but after I finished it, I ended up deleting my save file and now I don't wanna go through the hassle of redoing the game.
Lookin for a co-op partner mate.
Thatcat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #21
Chaz Of Sparta

Chaz Of Sparta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The stunt rings and hidden orbs were quite tedious, but other than that I really enjoyed Crackdown. In fact, it's one of my favorite 360 games of all time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Big advantage of a console? Don't have to play with "PC master race" idiots.

Chaz Of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Dinh Master

Dinh Master's Gamercard
Crackdown was my favourite game when it first came out. I couldn't get enough of it. Was really disappointed in the sequel though. Tedious??? Not at all.

100%
Prey, Avatar:TLA:TBE, Call of Duty 2, Crackdown, Skate, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Galaga, Marble Blast Ultra, Gears of War, NHL 07, Dash of Destruction, Oblivion, Call of Duty 4, Pac-Man, Bomberman LIVE, Ultimate MK3, Jetpac Refuelled, Smackdown vs. RAW 2007, Skate 3, Frogger, Worms, Halo 3, Minecraft, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Halo: Spartan Assault, Guacamelee!

100% (Original Score)
Halo: Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, Skyrim, Fallout 3
Dinh Master is offline   Reply With Quote