Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Games
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #61
KillerBEA

Send a message via Skype™ to KillerBEA

KillerBEA 91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Community Gaming - Platinum   Donator - Level 2   Staff Club - Madhatters13   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 28 (more» ...)
I hate collectibles, even if a game is shitty I will do a for fun playthrough and tack on another playthrough for the collectibles. They are also the last achievement in any game that I go for it on. I could sit down and grind out Seriously in Gears of War 1 and still not have found all the collectibles and that would be normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavindathar View Post
The first spiderman had 700 odd comics. At least they unlocked stuff. Didn't saints row 3 have 1300?

I don't mind collectibles, hunting is fun.

I'm waiting for a game with a dynamic collectible system, so they are random for every game. Therefore video guides can't be used.
Fear 2 had something to this effect.
KillerBEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:11 AM   #62
Slaughter XBA
Lost

Cpt Slaugh7er's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   Subscriber - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD View Post
I've only played two games where collectibles were done right: Fallout 3 and Halo 3.

Other than those games, collectibles suck donkey balls. They add no value to the game, usually are just there with no real PURPOSE of being there, and usually give no real incentive or reward to the game other than an achievement.
Exactly this. Sleeping Dogs had a good collectible system since they had in-game rewards.

Other than that, most developers seem to throw in collectibles with no real reward other than to pad out the game's length.

My Gallery
| XBA Blog
I put the laughter in slaughter.
Slaughter XBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #63
Spade.

Send a message via Skype™ to Spade.

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Donator - Level 2   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Minty   Over Achiever - Bronze   Micro Guide - Bronze   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Second Place   Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 14 (more» ...)
No one has directly mentioned the Halo games' skulls.

They are very well hidden, and give you something that can potentially increase your playtime within the games.
Spade. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #64
Puppys

Send a message via Skype™ to Puppys

x1001x Puppys's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff Club - KillerBEA   5,000 Posts   Staff Club - DEG23   Subscriber - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - rekikire   Donator - Level 2   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - troy0891
Total Awards: 40 (more» ...)
Saint's Row IV doesn't seem like it will be that bad. there are 1022 odd clusters (plus 50 other random collectibles) but you can get them quickly.

Crackdown was just about the same way.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 AM   #65
Lewie B I ReQ

Lewie B I ReQ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
Saint's Row IV doesn't seem like it will be that bad. there are 1022 odd clusters (plus 50 other random collectibles) but you can get them quickly.

saints row 4 really wasnt that bad it was actually fun
crackdown tho screw that game lol i dont remember the orbs appeariing on map either. its been a while tho

credit and thanks to Slaughter for the avatar and sig. check him out if your looking for a signature
Lewie B I ReQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #66
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
I liked to look for those fruits and white-tailed lizards in Shadow of the Colossus. The fruits increased your health bar and the lizards gave you more stamina.

And in Resident Evil 4 I also liked to look for those treasures such as the mask, butterfly lamps, beersteins, etc. Combining those treasures with those catseyes and gems scattered around made the treasures more valuable. Always was looking to sell something to the merchant.

The dog tags in Metal Gear Solid 2 were excessive but they became easier to get after collecting a certain amount so you received the wig for infinite ammo and the stealth camo suit. And the various face paints and uniforms for MGS3 were amusing.

Those are some of my favorite collectibles in games and there are plenty of other good examples. As others pointed out though some collectibles can just be far too excessive. I would've liked Murdered: Soul Suspect more if it had fewer collectibles...still feel kinda bad that I rented the game after what happened to Airtight.

Edit: Just realized those examples I gave are all sixth gen games...can't think of many games from 7th/8th gen which featured collectibles I liked, lol

Last edited by LickableLemons7; 07-20-2014 at 02:24 AM.
LickableLemons7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 AM   #67
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001puppys View Post
800 collectibles isn't easy, but it's also not too difficult. Play with the volume up and listen carefully, you will find those 500 agility orbs in no time. As for the hidden orbs, screw 'em!

iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #68
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
I liked to look for those fruits and white-tailed lizards in Shadow of the Colossus. The fruits increased your health bar and the lizards gave you more stamina.

And in Resident Evil 4 I also liked to look for those treasures such as the mask, butterfly lamps, beersteins, etc. Combining those treasures with those catseyes and gems scattered around made the treasures more valuable. Always was looking to sell something to the merchant.

The dog tags in Metal Gear Solid 2 were excessive but they became easier to get after collecting a certain amount so you received the wig for infinite ammo and the stealth camo suit. And the various face paints and uniforms for MGS3 were amusing.

Those are some of my favorite collectibles in games and there are plenty of other good examples. As others pointed out though some collectibles can just be far too excessive. I would've liked Murdered: Soul Suspect more if it had fewer collectibles...still feel kinda bad that I rented the game after what happened to Airtight.

Edit: Just realized those examples I gave are all sixth gen games...can't think of many games from 7th/8th gen which featured collectibles I liked, lol
in resi 4 you never had to collect the treasures at all really they got you alot of money they were optional, even in the hd remake there wasnt a collect all treasures achievement.

mgs3. camos/facepaints were cool but. those kerotan frogs, fuck those frogs. i never did them on ps2 cause i got stealth by not getting spotted. then comes the hd remake with its find all kerotan frogs which almost all of them are missable. progress to far and you must reload or start over which happened a lot during the end cos they thought it was good to have kerotans spread across the damn bike chase. at least dog tags carried over but still miss one and you gotta restart. would of annoyed me if i missed one on extreme lol

credit and thanks to Slaughter for the avatar and sig. check him out if your looking for a signature
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #69
DEG23
Listening to 1989

DEG23 x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff Club - DEG23   Donator - Level 5   CABS Beta Tester   Staff - Moderator   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff Club - Rajeanero   GRID 2 Award   Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Minty   Staff Club - Nozza x360a
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
I'm getting sick of collectibles which serve no purpose, especially those which require you to follow a guide. However, since I stopped caring about achievements or going for 100% they don't bother me any more.

The only collectibles I really enjoyed going for, so much so that I went for them on subsequent playthroughs, were the diamonds in Far Cry 2 and the collectibles in Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect in particular was fun because it often involved exploring the uncharted planets and most had a nice little story to go with them. The best part was when you were rewarded in Mass Effect 3 if you collected them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I refuse to use Spotify because they have no Taylor Swift albums.
DEG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
FatalDeathSG45

BloodScourge88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Collectibles don't bother me too much. I mainly get them if they actually improve my game a bit (such as in Saints Row IV, where you needed to collect Data Clusters to get upgrades for your powers) and not just improve my Gamerscore. Of course, if achievements aren't involved (at least ones that I care to get) or even gameplay, then why bother?
FatalDeathSG45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #71
LickableLemons7

SublimeThugLife's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - DEG23   Micro Guide - Bronze   Staff Club - DeekBoy   Submit - Bronze   2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 10 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewie B I ReQ View Post
in resi 4 you never had to collect the treasures at all really they got you alot of money they were optional, even in the hd remake there wasnt a collect all treasures achievement.

mgs3. camos/facepaints were cool but. those kerotan frogs, fuck those frogs. i never did them on ps2 cause i got stealth by not getting spotted. then comes the hd remake with its find all kerotan frogs which almost all of them are missable. progress to far and you must reload or start over which happened a lot during the end cos they thought it was good to have kerotans spread across the damn bike chase. at least dog tags carried over but still miss one and you gotta restart. would of annoyed me if i missed one on extreme lol
I wanted the treasures for the money though! I sucked when I first started RE4 and always ended up trying to buy the first aide sprays.

I shot the kerotan frogs in the HD version for the stealth camo, never tried to get it without alerting anyone. The Yoshis in the 3DS version were pretty funny. I forgot, did you earn anything special when you earned the markhor code name? I actually struggled with that achievement more than the kerotans! Hated that tsuchinoko and it took me a while to find The End's parrot.

I kinda hope The Phantom Pain will have a decent challenge though, the cassette tapes in Ground Zeroes were well hidden but once you find them that's it. I want to see more stuff like getting the iPod track when you earned the Big Boss emblem from MGS4 for the Sounds of the Battlefield trophy, but earning S-ranks in Ground Zeroes was easy enough and the recent E3 demo for The Phantom Pain makes it seem like S-rank requirements will be even more forgiving. Maybe you'll get something for earning an S-rank in every mission for The Phantom Pain but it shouldn't be so hard to anyone who's played the previous games.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #72
Lewie B I ReQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickableLemons7 View Post
I wanted the treasures for the money though! I sucked when I first started RE4 and always ended up trying to buy the first aide sprays.

I shot the kerotan frogs in the HD version for the stealth camo, never tried to get it without alerting anyone. The Yoshis in the 3DS version were pretty funny. I forgot, did you earn anything special when you earned the markhor code name? I actually struggled with that achievement more than the kerotans! Hated that tsuchinoko and it took me a while to find The End's parrot.

I kinda hope The Phantom Pain will have a decent challenge though, the cassette tapes in Ground Zeroes were well hidden but once you find them that's it. I want to see more stuff like getting the iPod track when you earned the Big Boss emblem from MGS4 for the Sounds of the Battlefield trophy, but earning S-ranks in Ground Zeroes was easy enough and the recent E3 demo for The Phantom Pain makes it seem like S-rank requirements will be even more forgiving. Maybe you'll get something for earning an S-rank in every mission for The Phantom Pain but it shouldn't be so hard to anyone who's played the previous games.
ah i was pretty damn good at res 4, didnt even buy guns until a gun i actually would settle with popped in the shop never bought the biggest case either

the markhor rank if i remember right unlocked the ez gun which is usually only available if you play on very easy.
i get stealth by doing the game without being spotted it was more fun that way and felt more like i earned stealth. those frogs tho grrrr f those frogs haha

i hope s ranks are harder to get in the phantom pain, they seemed too easy to get in ground zeroes. big boss rank in mgs4 was hard. that bike part in act 3. damn man that was a pure rage fest hahaha

Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #73
Explicitlyy

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
What's worse is if one or two of the collectibles glitch out and you can't find them AKA the FUCKING reason I haven't got 100% on AC1. Can't find 1 or 2 flags (or whatever they were) in one city and followed a couple guides for it and still can't find them. SO aggravating.

88% Avoided, 40% Unsporting.
Explicitlyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #74
Edword

Sprinklez88's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitlyy View Post
What's worse is if one or two of the collectibles glitch out and you can't find them AKA the FUCKING reason I haven't got 100% on AC1. Can't find 1 or 2 flags (or whatever they were) in one city and followed a couple guides for it and still can't find them. SO aggravating.
I'm so glad that I never ran into that glitch with AC1, although I did have to go back through a lot of flag locations before finding the one I missed. Not fun at all for a pointless collectible. Not worth the achievement in my opinion.
Edword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #75
xxJUSTINxx

OddFull Metal's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
I'm so glad that I never ran into that glitch with AC1, although I did have to go back through a lot of flag locations before finding the one I missed. Not fun at all for a pointless collectible. Not worth the achievement in my opinion.
It didn't help that even following a guide it was still so vague, trying to find an exact roof top was tricky at times.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #76
Explicitlyy

DRKR HALF's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
Yeah I haven't touched it since my Tigers lost game 4 in the World Series. The game's a plague and it would have to take an extreme amount of boredom to go back to it and find them all.

88% Avoided, 40% Unsporting.
Explicitlyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #77
Lewie B I ReQ

i never even bothered with those ac1 flags didnt even have internet then.

did they even do anything other than trigger a save lol

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #78
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Road Map - Emerald   Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Collectibles can be pretty sucky. I thought Dead Space 3 was one of the worst games for this that I've ever played.

I don't mind collectibles but would prefer that there were less than 10 for every hour of campaign gameplay. At that pace, I'm more ok with them than in other scenarios. Additionally, nothing is worse than a game that was an absolutely insane amount of collectibles, but also has no tracking of any sort. It's almost rage inducing when games can't properly display what you're missing, and during what part of the game it can be found.

Also, nowadays, collectibles feel so useless. I liked the Halo 2/3 formula where there is only 1 per level, but it is very well hidden or a secret, and each collectible can actually affect the game. Squirrels in Trials are also unique. Almost impossible to figure out on your own, but at least they require you to go out of your way and play the game in a different way. I also didn't mind Voxophones in BioShock Infinite. Although there were a lot of them, they did add a little bit of meat to the story.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #79
WalterWhite

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   5,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
I also didn't mind Voxophones in BioShock Infinite. Although there were a lot of them, they did add a little bit of meat to the story.
While I enjoyed the story aspect of the game that Voxophones offered, I think that audio diaries are drastically overused in games these days. It boils down to lazy game design if you ask me. Think about how long a playthrough of Infinite actually takes and then think about how much of that time you spend looting bodies and wandering around roped off environments looking for diaries to flesh out chunks of the story that they couldn't be bothered to include organically. Take the audio diaries away entirely and the whole story suffers, probably to the point of not making sense at all. Your average gamer (as in nobody you would likely see on a site like this following a guide) would probably blow through that game maybe finding a dozen of the Voxophones. You couldn't really blame them for playing the game the right way and then walking away confused.

Other games are even worse offenders. Take Borderlands for instance. Not that anybody bought that game for the story, but I can't count how many times I was fighting for my life (pun?) while there was narration buzzing in the background, all of which was lost on me because I was preoccupied.

Last edited by WalterWhite; 07-22-2014 at 08:48 PM.
WalterWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #80
FullMoonBeaver

FullMoonBeaver's Gamercard
Saints Row 4 hasmd about 1200 of them power orb things. Thankfully, they were useful for upgrades, and I got the vast majority, about 1050, by the time I finished the game, so getting the rest wasn't too bad.

Where the Wild Things Are. Played this game on my old tag a few years ago. What a crap game, and most the achievements were for collectables! I hated this game so much, I wanted to smash the disc after I completed it.

On the whole, I despise collectables, as they add nothing but frustration to a game. If I was a developer, I would not have collectables in a game. If for some reason I did, I would make them useful, but not tied to any achievements. I am not that twisted haha.

It does seem like there is a lack of creativity by just chucking a load of collectables in a game, as they are pointless as hell. I would rather see more challenging achievements added. Like complete a level on super hard mode without dying. Just get rid of collectables, and I'll be happy. Just don't think it will ever happen. But we can dream damn it!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #81
v SnOwMaN v

CW Rozay's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I'm tired of them also, games like Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3 make it better.

U N P L U G Y A E T H E R N E T B O Y

v SnOwMaN v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #82
Fire Hawk D

Fire Hawk GYJS's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Gold   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I must be one of the few people that enjoy collectibles. For no other reason than I just like collecting stuff. Especially in big open-world games.
Fire Hawk D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #83
Odd Future

Driserie's Gamercard
I don't mind collectibles so long as they serve a purpose like in Dishonored or Saints Row 4 where they are used for upgrades/perks. I hate running around a map collecting random things simply for the sake of an achievement.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #84
Chaz Of Sparta

Chaz Of Sparta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Over Achiever - Bronze
Most of them aren't so bad, but they can be quite tedious. Unlike most, I actually enjoyed finding all the orbs in Crackdown 1 and 2, mainly because I found the games so much fun.

I actually lost my save on Crackdown 2 when I was nearly done and did it all over again, without a guide! Definitely one of my most satisfying gaming moments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhunterrrr View Post
Big advantage of a console? Don't have to play with "PC master race" idiots.

Last edited by Chaz Of Sparta; 08-25-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Chaz Of Sparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #85
PsychoDelusion

No you're not. It's the main reason I avoid almost half of the console games
PsychoDelusion is offline   Reply With Quote