Assassin's Creed Hands-On Preview

Maka

An Assassin's Paradise

Published July 12, 2007

Ubisoft's action/platformer hybrid Assassin's Creed™ is no mere fancy trailer or slick press release at this year's E3, but instead stands proud and ready to play, demonstrating a radical evolution in the genre that is next-gen in gameplay and its stunning graphics.

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/DCB79B71-2902-40BE-B065-8B009AB456CA/0/ilmassassinscreed001.jpg

Altair eyes the target.

That you play a cryptic, lethal, and acrobatic assassin is well known, but until now, the game's mechanics were little understood.

Free Running

Grab hold of every crevice, climb any structure, leap across a web of narrow beams, or soar across rooftops, you can do all of this in truly impressive fashion. Instead of a complicated combination of button presses for each unique action, Assassin's Creed employs a one trigger/one button approach to nearly every acrobatic move.

Hold down the right trigger and your hero, Altair, is prepared for action. Combine that with the A button and Free Run mode is enabled, causing Altair to interact instinctively with whatever obstacle is in front of him. For example:

• Run off a ledge or platform with Free Run active, and Altair will automatically leap into the air.
  • Run at a wall, and he'll scamper up the wall and grasp the first available handhold.
  • Press in the direction of any protrusion (a ledge, crack, knob, or windowsill) while climbing to maneuver up, around, and over walls.

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D96442D4-751C-49F2-96A7-161D4E00DC12/0/ilmassassinscreed013.jpg

Free Run in action.

Right Trigger, No Trigger

While Free Run may be the game's most high-profile feature, it's also important to understand the two "stances" of Altair. When maneuvering him normally, Altair walks slowly and uses gentle actions, such as softly pushing a passerby out of the way, in an effort to appear inconspicuous. The right trigger prepares Altair for more aggressive action (including Free Run). With the right trigger, Altair will knock the passerby out of the way or even tackle him.

Clashing Blades

Though straight-ahead swordplay isn't the preferred violence of choice for a silent assassin, Altair fares quite well when confronted with a blade. You can initiate strikes on your own with whatever weapon you hold, but your deadliest blows come courtesy of counter attacks.

Time the thrust or swing of your opponent and press X before it connects. Altair will then block the attack, and momentarily stun his enemy. Press X again and a vicious fatal blow will be delivered.

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/C9210B44-7DBB-4C2D-9122-F20E6E17F337/0/ilmassassinscreed008.jpg

There's irony in there somewhere.

Fun Facts

Beyond the essential mechanics for movement and action, hands-on time with Assassin's Creed has revealed a number of interesting facts and features.

• Every character you meet operates on their own agenda and in relationship to those around them. Bump into a woman and knock away the jar she's carrying. She may become frustrated. But do so with a guard nearby, and the situation takes a dire turn quickly.
  • Once guards have been alerted to your presence, it's up to Altair to find a hiding spot until the coast is clear. Last year's E3 taught us to hide among the monks, but there are more options. Altair can hide in haystacks scattered throughout the city, or even sit casually on a neighborhood bench as if nothing was amiss.
  • Guards and vigilantes possess nowhere near the athletic prowess of Altair, but they are dogged in their pursuit. Where you may scale a wall to reach a roof, enemies will search out ladders and stairs to track you down until you're lost from sight.
  • Haystacks are certainly handy for hiding, but they can also break your fall from long, otherwise bone-crunching drops.

Assassin's Creed is well on its way to hitting retail stores with a bang this coming November. Keep tuned to Xbox.com for more extensive coverage as this no-doubt blockbuster nears release.

Link

Personally, I dont know if this game has persuaded me to buy it yet, although it looks good. I dont know why, But I may just rent it. *Hides*

Link

Personally, I dont know if this game has persuaded me to buy it yet, although it looks good. I dont know why, But I may just rent it. *Hides*

Where are you *looks for Maka* your lucky your hiding :p Seriously though, this is probably going to one of the best games ever. The gameplay looks awesome and the graphics are phenomenal, for me it will come down to the story and the length of the game. So far i like the idea of the story, ill just have to see how the execute it. The length is the only thing that has me worried, but if you have to travel from city to city and have a lil countryside to wonder then this game will be one of my favorits.