Ubisoft overestimate MP player base

Hurricane Of 87

As you (may not) know, AC III had it's first multiplayer event this week

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13411-Revolution--Assassin-s-Creed-III-s-First-Multiplayer-Event-is-Underway.html

Well it started on Wednesday and it's Sunday when I post this.

As you can see in the pictures below, they're going to fall far short of that generous estimate. So much so that they halved the target from 3 million to 1.5 million.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/656/imag0438m.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1262/imag0439hj.jpg

....and yes, they're still going to miss that by about 500,000 kills. d'oh.

To put that in perspective, AC III has sold 3.5 million copies, that mean less than 2/7 of its purchasers are playing it online. And that's being generous assuming that's one kill per player.

It can't be an online pass because as established in another thread that's only for unlocking perks and other doodads past level 10.

Did Ubisoft simply aim too high?

Why 3 million kills, because that's what Mass Effect 3 was doing?

Big difference between killing real players than AI.

Also you need to be playing the 'event'. Playing in any other non-event player vs. player modes don't count towards the total. That was silly.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only bveen playing multiplayer for a little more than 3 days and am ranked around 3,000 in the world. I would say that not many are actively using the MP feature.

As for this event, I forgot it was on and have been participating in the regular MP. Simply put, AC 3's multiplayer menu system is pretty bad. I definitely didn't see a MP menu option to play this event and how would I know that I need to go search for it somewhere in that less than intuitive menu system.

that is what happens when you force multiplayer into a single player game. you have a small minority who will grind out the mp achievements, an even smaller who will continuously play the mp, and a vast majority who will enjoy the great single player mode and never touch the mp.

I enjoy the AC multiplayer as I feel it's very unique however it has it's flaws.

One in particular is rewarding good/experienced players with the more OP abilities making it VERY hard for noobs to join and not get slaughtered.

Also every since Revelations as mentioned before the menu is HORRID and only continues to get worse. Also the fact that I can't get a party and search for random matches is pretty dumb.

I've only bveen playing multiplayer for a little more than 3 days and am ranked around 3,000 in the world. I would say that not many are actively using the MP feature.

As for this event, I forgot it was on and have been participating in the regular MP. Simply put, AC 3's multiplayer menu system is pretty bad. I definitely didn't see a MP menu option to play this event and how would I know that I need to go search for it somewhere in that less than intuitive menu system.

This... the only way of finding out about the event is to notice the little ticker thing on the right hand side, scroll over to the news to read more about it then search for rooms through a menu named Event. That is hardly obvious to most, especially when most will ignore the little message and just play.

Sure you can still find the 'event' through the matchmaking options... but it isn't prevalent there either considering it's at the BOTTOM of the list.

The fact they haven't reached their target does not in any way mean the multiplayer is a failure, because it's not. It's active. To sum up further: the most active playlist in the game (according to the game itself) is the Free For All playlist... that playlist does not count for the event.

that is what happens when you force multiplayer into a single player game. you have a small minority who will grind out the mp achievements, an even smaller who will continuously play the mp, and a vast majority who will enjoy the great single player mode and never touch the mp.

Nonsense. AC mp was always going to be somewhat of a niche market, but the implication that it's somewhat dead and a complete failure is nothing short of bullshit.

It's a unique MP so I'm glad they've stuck with it, just hope they'd do something about those damn smoke bombs. Maybe make it essential to lock on to kill/stun/contest as it feels like you can just mash X when you see a red arrow behind you.

grind out the mp achievements.

ekekekekekek. The MP achievements aren't a tall task. Hunter/Killer can be done in less than 5 minutes if you're racking up good quality kills. Hell you can do it in a slightly longer time even if you're running about like a jackass, directly confronting the enemy and getting 150 points per kill.

You can even 'grind' out Level 20 by playing Wolf Pack solo or with a mate if getting stomped by people who've already prestiged doesn't appeal to you.

They weren't tough enough in my opinion.

Level 35 and Complete a Wolf Pack game (25 sequences) would have been more like it.

DoosMakhina: Big agreement on the MP menu.

Too many menus within menus.

The Vote for The Next Map section is in it's own sub-menu as opposed to being instantly available on the post match screen.

The Acccolades are separated into 3 different menus for no real reason. Yeah, yeah, 'style, ability and modes' but it's not terribly important.

The NEWS should be on the Game Mode menu because not many are going to go out of their way to see if there's anything new.

Etc.

Should take a page out of Rockstar's book. On Max Payne 3 news about new DLC takes up the top right of the screen and any multiplayer event is above all other playlists with a star next to it to get your attention.

As little as I care about the Abstergo stuff I'd be better if it told be what task I had to complete instead of the name of the task.

i.e. Kill 50 after using knives > Complete Ass Shanker

It's a unique MP so I'm glad they've stuck with it, just hope they'd do something about those damn smoke bombs. Maybe make it essential to lock on to kill/stun/contest as it feels like you can just mash X when you see a red arrow behind you.

Animus Shield says hello. :p

Seriously though, if you haven't tried it... do so. Granted I don't use it on every class, but on modes that are dominated by Smokes (such as Manhunt) it's an absolute godsend to just hit it whilst they throw their bomb and just waltz through it like it's nothing.

The MP is horrible, it always has been horrible, and anyone who enjoys it is a masochist.

Obviously, just my opinion... by my opinions are facts, in my opinion. :p

Anywho, to clear up something... the MP in AC has never been created by the team that does the SP. It's two different teams sharing various assets to create what is largely, two different games. Though I am of the opinion that MP in Assassin's Creed was and always will be a stupid idea. But to say that they "should have spent more time on SP instead of MP" is a baseless assumption. The fact is, there were a lot of things done with Assassin's Creed 3 that were very new ideas... a lot of work went into this game. I agree it has (a lot) of flaws, but a lot of those flaws are being fixed with this week's patch as well, so at least Ubi is readily supporting the game.

And why should the achievements for multiplayer be harder? I was happy that there were only four and that I was able to earn them all with 4 total hours of gameplay with a friend playing Wolf Pack. We were also lucky enough to win the only game of Manhunt that we played. Neither of us have touched the MP since. I don't have much of a problem with the Wolf Pack. In fact, I think that mode is the only logical mode that should have ever been implemented into AC. Maybe by now, it would have had more features and been a little more interesting.

The MP is horrible, it always has been horrible, and anyone who enjoys it is a masochist.

Obviously, just my opinion... by my opinions are facts, in my opinion. :p

Anywho, to clear up something... the MP in AC has never been created by the team that does the SP. It's two different teams sharing various assets to create what is largely, two different games. Though I am of the opinion that MP in Assassin's Creed was and always will be a stupid idea. But to say that they "should have spent more time on SP instead of MP" is a baseless assumption. The fact is, there were a lot of things done with Assassin's Creed 3 that were very new ideas... a lot of work went into this game. I agree it has (a lot) of flaws, but a lot of those flaws are being fixed with this week's patch as well, so at least Ubi is readily supporting the game.

And why should the achievements for multiplayer be harder? I was happy that there were only four and that I was able to earn them all with 4 total hours of gameplay with a friend playing Wolf Pack. We were also lucky enough to win the only game of Manhunt that we played. Neither of us have touched the MP since. I don't have much of a problem with the Wolf Pack. In fact, I think that mode is the only logical mode that should have ever been implemented into AC. Maybe by now, it would have had more features and been a little more interesting.

Your opinion is correct

When I get this game I want to play the MP more than single player, I loved it on Revelations.

Animus Shield says hello. :p

Seriously though, if you haven't tried it... do so. Granted I don't use it on every class, but on modes that are dominated by Smokes (such as Manhunt) it's an absolute godsend to just hit it whilst they throw their bomb and just waltz through it like it's nothing.

An abilty to counter smokebomb :woop:

Edited by cjdavies

I hit level 20 and that's the extent of my MP. Nothing really sets it apart from previous games other than WolfPack from what I could tell. Even with WP it's pretty annoying getting messages from people pissed off you're not playing it the way they want you to. If you play like everyone else is by running around killing everything on sight people get pissed. If you try to get incognito kills its impossible because as soon as your meter fills everyone else runs up and kills someone in the group ruining your focus meter. It's a no win situation basically so in order to get kills you just have to do it as fast as possible, leading to others getting passed at you. Can't wait for those mp dlcs ;)

I tell you why they are overestimating their MP:

1. You have to change the disk everytime you go from SP/MP. This sucks totally. Why they haven't done it like Halo 4, so you install the second disk and can play it while you have your first disk in.

2. I don't know if i am the only one, but the MP is exaggerated. Too much options, too much menu points. I needed 2 days to get an overview. And then this micro transactions for erudito. Who the hell need this? This is totally stupid, as someone will spend all of his money to get Erudito Credits and buy everything directly instead of playing.

3. And yes. The MP is by far not so popular like Halo MP or CoD: MP.

I have to agree with you guys. Multiplayer in Brotherhood was the best, in Revelations it was good but 3 - they have botched.

I hit level 20 and that's the extent of my MP. Nothing really sets it apart from previous games other than WolfPack from what I could tell. Even with WP it's pretty annoying getting messages from people pissed off you're not playing it the way they want you to. If you play like everyone else is by running around killing everything on sight people get pissed. If you try to get incognito kills its impossible because as soon as your meter fills everyone else runs up and kills someone in the group ruining your focus meter. It's a no win situation basically so in order to get kills you just have to do it as fast as possible, leading to others getting passed at you. Can't wait for those mp dlcs ;)

Sounds similar to Manhunt, annoying as hell.

1. You have to change the disk everytime you go from SP/MP. This sucks totally. Why they haven't done it like Halo 4, so you install the second disk and can play it while you have your first disk in.

Surely before you put it on you are going to do one or the other.

Edited by cjdavies

Hated multiplayer with a passion largely due to im shit at it, but also because i don't find it fun. Then this game basically threw the little interest i had in multiplayer out the window by putting it on a 2nd disc. Ok on AC 1 and i think 2 the maps were massive but also they didnt have multiplayer on them, but this one has massive maps and multiplayer but surely there is some way they could have put it on one disc?

Too bad they couldn't of had the naval battles on multiplayer. Apart from one fleet of ships versus another, they could have had a fleet going up against a fort and stuff like that.

The current MP is entertaining for a few hours, but it gets old pretty quickly. For the most part I've bveen playing domination and artifact.

There used to be more people playing AC's MP in previous games. The thing that has changed in AC3 is the addition of Wolfpack. It allows you to get EXP without having to play with randoms. You could even earn XP without even playing with any real human-beings. This is the reason I think why the "actual" MP sessions are so underwhelming.

This is why you play Wolf Pack with friends.

I only played with one of my friends for a few hours over the course of two days and got to a point where we can clear all 25 sequences every time. It's really not that hard. In fact, it's so easy... we did better when we didn't bother communicating. The most we'd say that was even related to the game we were playing was "I've got the extra target." :p

Really what kills the MP for me is exactly what you said, but in the multiplayer. The community is terrible. I got sick of attempting to score a large kill, only to get shanked for 100 points two seconds before hitting the button. This is a problem that is never going to be fixed... which is why the multiplayer is a bad idea to begin with. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with these people in Wolf Pack as well.

However hard I try I just can't find any love for the multiplayer in Creed, even without Ubisoft trying to ram it down my throat. I've had the game since day one release but everytime I think I'll give it a whirl I have flashbacks to a) how horrible it was in the previous versions and b) how much I totally suck at it. The final straw for me was standing next to my intended target pounding the kill button for absolutely ages and nothing happened, target then turned round and stabbed me in the throat in one flawless move. I'll stick to the SP there is more than enough going on there to occupy myself than having a rage fit on multiplayer.

However hard I try I just can't find any love for the multiplayer in Creed, even without Ubisoft trying to ram it down my throat. I've had the game since day one release but everytime I think I'll give it a whirl I have flashbacks to a) how horrible it was in the previous versions and b) how much I totally suck at it. The final straw for me was standing next to my intended target pounding the kill button for absolutely ages and nothing happened, target then turned round and stabbed me in the throat in one flawless move. I'll stick to the SP there is more than enough going on there to occupy myself than having a rage fit on multiplayer.

If your "target" killed you, then he/she wasn't your target.

The problem with AC MP is that it has a HUGE learning curve. They even made tutorials for new players, but I guess that still isn't enough...

The problem with AC MP is that it has a HUGE learning curve. They even made tutorials for new players, but I guess that still isn't enough...

I guess the thing is that it isn't worth it. You can try to play properly, but you'll lose to rushers anyway. And damn, abilities are too overpowered (not to say essentials)... that's just not the assassin way but well, after all you're a templar XD

I guess the thing is that it isn't worth it. You can try to play properly, but you'll lose to rushers anyway. And damn, abilities are too overpowered (not to say essentials)... that's just not the assassin way but well, after all you're a templar XD

Rushers get barely any points... You shouldn't be losing to them full stop.

This is why you play Wolf Pack with friends.

Really what kills the MP for me is exactly what you said, but in the multiplayer. The community is terrible. I got sick of attempting to score a large kill, only to get shanked for 100 points two seconds before hitting the button. This is a problem that is never going to be fixed... which is why the multiplayer is a bad idea to begin with. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with these people in Wolf Pack as well.

Never going to be fixed? It's only a problem if you are being too obvious so a rusher knows who you are... Rushers are by and large idiots, they will frequently go for the wrong target if there is a choice. If there isn't a choice then that's where you have gone wrong, not the game. Be less obvious = get killed less.

Edited by DoosMakhina