Finally i found something about this game i hate.

ThtPepsiNagger

to me rock band 1 and 2 have been the perfect games. nothing wrong with these games at all except one thing. im walking around the mall and i see a kid wearing a dream theater shirt and i think to myself "woah someone in a DT shirt i have to talk to them" cause any Dream Theater fan knows that there are very few in this world under the age of 30. and i introduce myself and we talk and i finally bring up dream theater. i said whats your favorite song... he said "well i only know of panic attack cause of rock band but its the best song in the game so i bought their shirt." needless to say i called him a fag and walked away. not without him screaming some childish insult back. I HATE PEOPLE WHOS NEW FAVORITE BAND IS CAUSE OF ONE SONG OFF ROCK BAND! same thing happened with Metallica and The Who. One came out on GH3 and everyone in my damn school when i was in school had an ...And Jusice For All shirt on a little under a week later... people who didnt even know metallica wrote other music. and Wont get fooled again... This was the worst. you know how bad it is when im wearing my who shirt and some kid comes up and asks me do i like the who. i respond with "yes". "do you like Wont get fooled again" "yes i do" i say back calmly waiting for him to mention rock band. "ever since i heard that song on rock band the who is like my favorite band." COME THE FUCK ON! I was listening to The Who when i was in the womb. I propose that true fans of bands like Metallica, Dream Theater, Ect. should beat the shit out of people who like a band cause of rock band or guitar hero. Whos with me!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i kinda understand what you're saying but... i'm willing to bet that all of your favorite bands started with one or two songs that you heard and liked enough to go out and buy (or clickity click to download)... while it's ok to pride yourself on knowing of them before a lot of people, i say anything that turns kids onto new music that they otherwise might not have heard is a good thing...

i kinda understand what you're saying but... i'm willing to bet that all of your favorite bands started with one or two songs that you heard and liked enough to go out and buy (or clickity click to download)... while it's ok to pride yourself on knowing of them before a lot of people, i say anything that turns kids onto new music that they otherwise might not have heard is a good thing...

no no my whole point is kids who are saying they love a band cause of one song and its the only song they heard from that perticular band. now if kids heard that one song and went holy shit i must hear more than yeah thats cool but priding yourself on being a fan cause of that one song and never hearing another song again its complete bullshit to the fan base

First of all, get off your elitist soapbox and knock off all this "I was listening to so-and-so while I was in the womb" bullshit. Its a proven fact that music games expose people to music that they normally wouldn't hear. And depending on how old this kid was, maybe his mom wouldn't buy him the band's CD (parental warning sticker?) but bought him a t-shirt instead? Maybe he was at the mall to buy the CD? Who the fuck are you to judge a total stranger?

Secondly, you should be happy that this kid was turned on to a band that you also like. Do you know how many kids hear a song on the radio or MTV, and become "fans" of that particular band... having only heard the one song? Good for them! For all you know, maybe he owns a DT album, or saw them in concert, but doesn't know the names of the songs. Of course Panic Attack would be the one he brings up, because that's how you select the song in Rock Band.

Thirdly, you really called him a "fag" in a public place? What is your problem? And now you propose that true fans "should beat the shit out of people who like a band cause of rock band or guitar hero." I'm all for being a jerk, but you are coming off as an ignorant prick.

needless to say i called him a fag and walked away. not without him screaming some childish insult back.

Because... calling him a "fag" and walking away... was mature?

Edited by Dex

Dex, I bow to you! :D

I understand why he would be mad about a person falling for one song, but heres the thing, everybody was just like that kid, heard one song, fell in love with it and started to search for bands that sounded like that or were in the same genre that sparked other bands for you to listen to. So yes, stop being such a prick to that kid for falling in love with that band.

And something else, new metallica sucks so much balls, only the posers like the new stuff. ;)

Kids wearing shirts from bands they know little to nothing about is older than Rock Band. At least this kid liked one of the songs from the band whose shirt he was wearing. And why would you care if he was wearing that shirt? Doesn't that mean the band you like were making some money? And by making money, they don't have to get other jobs and can focus on music.

I honestly cant say a single thing about the music business, or any fan base. Hell, im good with being a geek. But i do see what your stabbing at. As a fan, your pissed because he only knows one song, and bought a shirt because of it. On a good level, hes bought merchandise from said band, thus promoting it one some sense. But on a bad level, you feel that because he hasnt listened to other songs from that band, it kinda lowers his "street cred" level. If im incorrect that please let me know.

I can see why this is a problem. When i was in high school my senior year, we had a large group of people who "lived" for metallica. And it was alright. I had no solid "fan" devotion to any band. Shit, i was listening to mostly Orchestrated versions of anything i heard at the time. But i did enjoy the master of puppets CD (correct me if thats not it). But when there was a large gathering at a party, we played the one song it turns out they knew, enter sandman. Than, when i requested anything else (My own favorite being "no leaf clover"), they looked dumbfounded. Instead of getting on their case though, we played a couple other CDs from metallica. Honestly, no clue what they were, and even i liked some of the things i hadnt listened to prior. But while they walked in only knowing one song, and brandishing a fever for metallica due to that one song, they left knowing some other stuff. Embrace the fact that they listened to one song, and encourage them other songs, or hell, other bands they will like.

If they go "well i dont want to", than i cant say that i would stop you from saying what you like.

Alright im done. ha.

-tommy

My son, who is a "the louder the better" thrash metal fan has become MUCH more open to more bands since Rock Band. I give the game a lot of credit for him having Dream Theater, The Who, The Strokes, The Cars (!), Deep Purple and Iron Maiden in his music collection. Do I berate him for only liking one song by a band? Hell no! I'm excited that he even likes that one song and try to turn him on to their whole discography, if I can.

Dex was right, you're being elitist. And that kid will probably never end up appreciating Dream Theater because of the crazy jerk at the mall. :(

I sort of understand what you mean fella. It's not the fact that he only knows a song cos of the game, but the fact the kid was wearing a t-shirt of a band he knew nothing about, bar the one song.

I'm sorry, but how fucking privileged must that kid have been to have the money to buy t-shirts like that willy-nilly!? *giggle*

And if he heard the one song and liked it, why not scout some more out and give them a listen? Easy as hell to do that on youtube or the like. For all he knows, that song could be completely uncharacteristic of Dream Theater, they could actually be a J-pop band who had a stab at mocking heavier bands for all he knows.

I've been listening to DT for your years, have all their CD's except one and I can only identify 2 of their sings by name. I'll let you guess which two they are and why I know those in particular. Guess you better beat the shit out of me.

Paramore, Black Tide, and Dropkick Murphys are all bands I've found because of RB/GH.

In other words build a barn and put your high horse away.

it's fine if you find a band you like from GH/RB and you go learn more about them, buy a couple CDs and enjoy the full band.

It's annoying when some kid buys a dragonforce shirt just because he likes fire and the flames and refuses to buy any of their CDs. it's those people who are fucking annoying.

For me i've found about 15 new bands through GH and RB. bought at least one album from each.

It's annoying when some kid buys a dragonforce shirt just because he likes fire and the flames and refuses to buy any of their CDs. it's those people who are fucking annoying

They're kids. That's what kids do. I'm willing to bet you did the same type of things when you were a kid. Maybe not with music, but with a favorite toy or favorite food or something else entirely.

Kids don't make sense. They want to be cool. They want to say "Look at me, I know something only the really cool people know". They do things like hear 1 song and buy T-Shirts to prove how cool they are. Cut them some slack, they are trying to find themselves in a world where they are always the underdog.

yeah I hate to tell you this, but that is the POINT of a band putting their music in games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band; to expand their market and fanbase. They aren't 'underground' anymore if they are on a video game. Congratulations, but you are now "corporate". It's not a bad thing, just another form of advertising.

I was reading your story and I actually laughed aloud when you said you called the kid a "fag" hahaha! He's probably making fun of you right now and writing a post somewhere about how the one thing he hates about 'Rock Band' is old guys coming up to him in the mall and starting fights about how they are old school fans...

I'm kinda torn on this subject. It is annoying to hear people say "Oh, you mean that one song by that one band that's on GH or RB?", I just want to say "No, the one band that has countless fans worldwide, has so-and-so many records, etc" but at the same time, because of GH and RB, I've gotten into The Who, Cheap Trick, Dream Theater, Jane's Addiction, Alice Cooper, Boston, and so many more. Sure, I may have heard a song of their's before, but now that I've gold-starred it or gotten an 1100 drum note streak, I feel as though I can almost identify myself with that particular song. Either way, this is a new medium for music discovery. And I'm definitely pleased with what I've found.

Music elitists are never going to be happy about any of their 'pet' bands being on Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

It is ironic that after reading the authors comments I have found the one thing I hate about Rock Band! I'm guessing this thread did not go the way you intended.

Dex and TwistedFate are my two new friends, nice work guys!

Sounds like a personal problem.

You think your cool cuz you knew of the band before RB? Like there aren't 324527837 rock bands. Like somebodys supposed to know who everyone is. If a game opens your eyes to somethin, why not. Sounds like you need some drama in ya life, find a chick don't hate on people.

Haha and I typed all that before I read what Dex said. He said it better than I could.

In a nice way.

So I'll stop. But you sir needa step off the pedestal.

Lemme just add too, that while I dont know how long DT has been around, I know a lot of these bands, they're hay day was in my dad's day. How the hell can anyone under 20 catch shit from old people for not knowing bands that were big 20-30 years ago, until now.

We weren't alive bruh.

Edited by D RaK Fereal

needless to say i called him a fag and walked away.

I just reread this post and I must say I absolutely LOVE this line. I really find it amusing that your mind exists in some strange realm where this is the natural reaction to have. At first you're just being a douchebag, but when you say "needless to say" that shows us all that you find your actions perfectly normal. I salute you. Enjoy your dream world.

needless to say i called him a fag and walked away. not without him screaming some childish insult back.

WOW man what is your problem! Get up off your high horse! like calling him a fag isnt' childish!

Rockband and Guitar heros are games that can open your mind to new music. and im sure the music industry and the record company's get more records sold cause of rockband and Guitar heros!

there are quiet a few songs i would have never listened to or known who they were by if it wasnt' for rockband! such as Oasis. i love their music and again probley wouldn' have listened to them if not for Rockband!

One came out on GH3 and everyone in my damn school when i was in school had an ...And Jusice For All shirt on a little under a week later..

Isn't that what people in school do, its about trends sadly!! maybe people thaught wow metallica is really awesome! and wanted to support them!!

I dont get why you have to rip on everybody else! people want to support bands they like!

and im sure everybody that is a die hard rockband or Guitar hero fan, would say that they have listened to music on their computer or CD or soemthing that they problaly wouldn't have listened to other wise!!

This was the worst. you know how bad it is when im wearing my who shirt and some kid comes up and asks me do i like the who i respond with "yes". "do you like Wont get fooled again" "yes i do" i say back calmly waiting for him to mention rock band. "ever since i heard that song on rock band the who is like my favorite band." COME THE FUCK ON!

Do you know how many people in the world wear bands shirts that they don't really know, just cause they think the shirt is cool! (example: Greatful Dead, i see so many people wearing the shirt cause its tye dye and has cute bears on it) man give the kid a break maybe he was trying to start a convo with you, to see what other cool songs the Who has! i mean really COME THE FUCK ON... your the one being childish

I'm sure the band isn't complaining that they made money off of merchandise purchased because of one song in a rhythm game. If the band doesn't mind, neither should you.

And who cares, anyway? Because someone else likes a song doesn't mean that now you can't like it as much so how it is harming you?

Look at a song like TTFaF. Before DragonForce was on GH, the majority of people had never even heard of the band. Now almost all adolescent boys know who the band is because of that one song. Do you think DragonForce is going to complain about that or embrace the publicity?

Give me a break and shut up.

while i can see where he is coming from, i have to agree with the majority on this one. Personally, I have found several new bands thanks to RB/GH. Also, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and have laughed several times, mostly due to

needless to say i called him a fag and walked away.

that makes me laugh every time i read it

Really what does it matter How anyone came to hear of a band, how much they know about said band, how many Cds they own from that band, or if they are wearing a shirt. I understand maybe they shouldn't be callin them their favorite band, not knowing anything about them, but who among us hasn't done something like that. I know alot of people that say Italian food is their favorite food because they love lasagna, even though they dont eat any other italain food. That dont piss me. I really dont care how your heard about the band. i really dont care why you say they are your favorite band. Either way thier eyes have been opened to something new and exciteing, and in turn they might even get a friend to listen and turn them on to it. like it or not thats how bands get to be a big and legendary as metallica. Truth be told if it weren't for rock band i would never have known who Dream Theater is, Or Dragon force(GH3). and several other bands. If it werent for my satalite radio it cant say i be fan of Avenged Sevenfold like i am, or Nonpoint. I guess what im tryin to say is, just be glad he is a fan, he might spread the word even though he only knows one song right now. hell who knows he may eventually go buy a whole cd, get inspired, pick up a really guitar or sit behind a real drum set, and start his journey to being the next big band. all because of that one song he heard on rockband!