Glitch or Cheat on Xbox One Achievements

Snowed

Were those glitches online by any chance?

yeah mp has ton of glitches you can even play mp online with a silver profile glitch, never try any glitch or you will learn the hard way. Same as downloading free games in other region ,its a glitch its not worth it if you get banned. This is proberly why it got locked on another site, the op's glitch. A glitch is a glitch and ms are ban happy to get more money out of you. Lucky i have 6 360 only one got banned but losing your profile sucks. :(

Might as well start banning people for boosting achievements now...

I mean, you are circumventing the true nature of the achievement by doing it.

Recent examples would probably be getting a Plasma cannon eject kill or killing all the Pilots on extraction fall under the category of "takes a great deal of skill/luck" and a lot of people avoided pain by manipulating the matchmaking.

I understand people getting upset that it ruins the "sacred" nature of achievements like this but if people do it, get over it.

TA gets peoples panties in a bunch sometimes.

Boosting is fine. ;) glitches might flag you

Edited by TERMINATOR 2452
spelling

A glitch is a glitch and ms are ban happy to get more money out of you.
Actually I would argue the opposite, banning people is a good way of losing customers.

I think a good number of people that got banned for the free games thing bought a PS4.

Doesn't the trials glitch affect leaderboards on challenges completed?

Yes.

Therefore, it effects others, and is cheating.

Forza5, I can let it slide, it effects no one.

And I'm not even sure how you class avatar as a glitch.

OH NOES, LEADERBOARDS!

I assure you whoever is at the top, probably didn't get there from deleting their save over and over again and I doubt anyone will care about all the people that got to the six thousand placements from this.

And where does the leaderboards thing end? Should two friends get banned if they're the only ones playing a dead game and ranking up from each other?

The Avatar thing was a joke. Most people that don't like "glitches", "cheats" or "boosting" is because they feel it trivializes the whole achievement system but they don't realize the whole system trivializes itself.

Anyone can get to high gamerscore by just beating movie or kids games, so it shouldn't really matter what lengths someone will go to just to get a single 50GS achievement.

I think a lot of people, especially on these forums, have "cheated" in one form or another. If you obtain an achievement for something you did not do, you cheated the system. It's as simple as that. You can't say, "well they didn't fix it" or "they made it possible". With that logic you can't blame a thief who robbed a bank because the bank made it possible for him to rob it in the first place. Replace the bank with MS and the robber with you and it's the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone is a thief nor do I believe this particular Xbox One achievement app exploit is a ban-able offense, but if you think it isn't cheating you're lying to yourself. That's rationalization at it's best.

One thing I believe is that people like to feel "safe" if they believe what they are doing will not get them banned. I think most people would agree that hacking/modding gamerscore is "bad" and frowned upon. But lets say MS never started banning people for it. Hell even x360a and TA didn't ban people for it. What then? People would probably get over it and not care since there are no repercussions. The same could be said for this case. If MS started banning people left and right who used this exploit then this conversation would be over and eventually this too would be considered "bad" and frowned upon.

Honestly thought the achievement system is broken. Guides, walkthrough's, glitches, exploits, and boosting pretty much diminish every achievement in existence. Sure I found all the collectibles in Thief but all I did was follow someone's videos. Sure I finished Gears of War 3 but all I did was kill a bunch of dummy accounts over and over. I think the real arguments start to fly when it's difficult singleplayer achievements such as Peggle 2 and Trials Fusion where you can't boost, and guides won't help too much. When people start to obtain those types of achievements without really obtaining them, it's kind of a slap in the face to people that actually earned it.

It's like stealing a Nobel Prize and walking around with it on your neck. Sure you might not be outright bragging about it, but it's still there on your neck. You still have it, even though you didn't obtain it through legitimate means.

TL;DR

1. Don't lie to yourself when you know it's cheating.

2. What MS decided to ban does not set the moral code for what is right or wrong

3. Achievements are broken due to guides, boosting, walkthroughs, and exploits.

4. Play your games people. If cheating to get easy gamerscore is your idea of fun go right ahead. If you want to obtain them the hard way, go right ahead. Or try playing a few games without worrying about achievements, you just might enjoy yourself that much more.

I'm curious to see what the community's final verdict will be. Doug recently blogged about cheating (here) and this glitch at least qualifies for discussion.

In general, there are a few things everyone should consider:

* Just because Microsoft isn't punishing anyone for it, doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

* Just because Microsoft isn't punishing anyone for it now, doesn't mean they won't in the future

* Whether or not it is eventually fixed is a completely separate discussion. There are plenty of glitches that qualify as cheating (not necessarily gamerscore cheating) that never get fixed.

Abusing exploits, glitches, and bugs to earn achievements (like the one in Trials Fusion) does not fall under any of those reasons.

Good luck using this argument if anything ever happens to your account. "The conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to".

Edited by dakisbac

The Avatar thing was a joke. Most people that don't like "glitches", "cheats" or "boosting" is because they feel it trivializes the whole achievement system but they don't realize the whole system trivializes itself.

Anyone can get to high gamerscore by just beating movie or kids games, so it shouldn't really matter what lengths someone will go to just to get a single 50GS achievement.

You can see that someone has played a bunch of movie//kid games though. If someone has a difficult achievement you know they earned it (yes I know they'll be some that hacked it). Difficult achievements > high gamerscore.

Edited by The Duke of Darkness

I'm curious to see what the community's final verdict will be. Doug recently blogged about cheating (here) and this glitch at least qualifies for discussion.

* Just because Microsoft isn't punishing anyone for it, doesn't mean it isn't cheating.

* Just because Microsoft isn't punishing anyone for it now, doesn't mean they won't in the future

* Whether or not it is eventually fixed is a completely separate discussion. There are plenty of glitches that qualify as cheating (not necessarily gamerscore cheating) that never get fixed.

Good luck using this argument if anything ever happens to your account. "The conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to".

Re: the above. Microsoft can ban your account at ANY time and for ANY reason - it's part of the T&C's that everyone signs up for when they create their account. So frankly it doesn't matter what they do or don't specifically call out as cheating as they could ban you for kicks regardless. For what it is worth MS have ALWAYS said officially that boosting is fine.

I would also suggest that the reason the other thread got shut down, and that this one probably will too, is that this is a subject that has been debated to death time and time again.

At the end of the day there is no right/wrong answer as it all comes down to the individual and what they are comfortable with. I tend to avoid glitching achievements if I can help it (but I have played that many games that some popped while I wasn't even trying for them) - but I've certainly done a shit ton of boosting in my time and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Likewise there are plenty of online achievements I've done legit because I genuinely enjoy the game. Is there any difference to anyone else in how I got those achievements? No, so everyone can just do what suits themselves.

I've spent 100+ hours to get one achievement via boosting when I could get a higher value achievement "legit" in countless other games in ten minutes. Though I will agree that I draw the line at people who used gamesaves or hacks just to unlock 300k worth of achievements in an hour - at least I've put seven years of time/effort into the games I've played and completed.

The only real problem I see with this discussion is when people get on their high horses and start saying that people who use guides/boosting etc to get achievements easier are not as "good" as those who don't. Guides and cheat codes etc have been part of gaming since I had a Spectrum 128k - so if you don't like it, just do your own thing and feel free not to judge everyone else.

Edited by jackanape

If Microsoft wants to ban my account for unlocking an achievement through a bug that slipped through the cracks, then I will happily move to another gaming system. While it is a stretch, one could argue that they stumbled upon this by accident when they were having an issue with the game or an achievement wasn't unlocking properly. Perhaps, they had completed most of the challenges at that point. So, they tried deleting their save and after completing a few more challenges, the achievement showed up even though they weren't intending to unlock it via this method. It would seem rather silly on Microsoft's part to start banning gamers who didn't even mean to use some bug in the system to unlock achievements early.

Re: the above. Microsoft can ban your account at ANY time and for ANY reason - it's part of the T&C's that everyone signs up for when they create their account. So frankly it doesn't matter what they do or don't specifically call out as cheating as they could ban you for kicks regardless. For what it is worth MS have ALWAYS said officially that boosting is fine.

MS won't ban people for no reason. Can they? Sure. But they won't. It's just bad business. But lets say you start "glitching" a bunch of achievements or some other gray area type of activity, then you can't be too sure if that will come around to getting you banned later. But if you don't boost, cheat, glitch, use exploits, etc on any of your games you will not be banned. Obviously we are just talking achievement wise, you could still get banned for modding your Xbox or something similarly unrelated to achievements.

My point is you can't say, "Just do whatever because MS can ban you whenever they want" because they won't ban a paying customer for no good reason.

I guess I need to make this clear again. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS CHEATING DOES NOT MEAN IT NEEDS TO BE A BANNABLE OFFENSE. Please stop basing your arguments on the idea that no one should be banned for this. It's irrelevant. No one wants to ban anyone for using this glitch. That's not the point.

Rather, what I'd hope we can get is a general communal disapproval of using these tactics. Sure, some will continue using them. But at least we can limit it and those people will likely be obvious.

If this is considered cheating, then ALL glitches and exploits that can be abused for easy achievement earning would have to be considered cheating. You can't pick and choose.

And the definitions you posted of fraud and cheating do not cover this situation.

Yes, they are, actually. Technically. I don't think anyone can rationally argue otherwise. The definitions I posted clearly do cover this situation (it is fraud - how on earth could it not be? please explain).

Of course, we can pick and choose.

Killing someone is bad, but self defense laws allow people to kill someone else without going to jail. Why is the government allowed to pick and choose? Why do we stand for this? Because different outside circumstances lead to different results in thinking about what is right and wrong.

But seriously, that's what I was trying to get at with my first post. Once you start saying certain things aren't allowed while others of a similar nature are, it becomes a slippery slope where eventually nothing will be allowed.

Ah, the classic slippery slope argument. The idea that there should be no restrictions out of fear that restrictions might lead to more is foolish. This applies to any time in history the slippery slope argument has been used.

Making this something discouraged does not mean we will soon discourage boosting or any other glitch just as making gay marriage legal in the US will not open the door for legal bestiality and incest a few years down the line. It can and will be done on a case by case basis.

Might as well start banning people for boosting achievements now...

I mean, you are circumventing the true nature of the achievement by doing it.

Recent examples would probably be getting a Plasma cannon eject kill or killing all the Pilots on extraction fall under the category of "takes a great deal of skill/luck" and a lot of people avoided pain by manipulating the matchmaking.

I understand people getting upset that it ruins the "sacred" nature of achievements like this but if people do it, get over it.

I already stated in the OP how boosting is different. When you boost, you are still completing the achievement. I boosted the kill all pilots at extraction achievement. It would require far too much luck, you're right (though I have got 5/6 a number of times!). I still completed the requirements though.

It might go against the spirit of what was intended, but it's still clearly meeting the requirements. The glitch this thread is about is not about meeting requirements. It's avoiding all the challenge by doing the easy challenges multiple times instead of necessarily completing all the challenges.

Oh, and no one said anyone should be banned for this.

While it is a stretch, one could argue that they stumbled upon this by accident when they were having an issue with the game or an achievement wasn't unlocking properly. Perhaps, they had completed most of the challenges at that point. So, they tried deleting their save and after completing a few more challenges, the achievement showed up even though they weren't intending to unlock it via this method.

The fact that you can feign ignorance by lying about whether or not you intended to cheat or not does not actually absolve you of guilt for cheating.

I guess I need to make this clear again. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS CHEATING DOES NOT MEAN IT NEEDS TO BE A BANNABLE OFFENSE. Please stop basing your arguments on the idea that no one should be banned for this. It's irrelevant. No one wants to ban anyone for using this glitch. That's not the point.

Rather, what I'd hope we can get is a general communal disapproval of using these tactics. Sure, some will continue using them. But at least we can limit it and those people will likely be obvious.

Yes, they are, actually. Technically. I don't think anyone can rationally argue otherwise. The definitions I posted clearly do cover this situation (it is fraud - how on earth could it not be? please explain).

Of course, we can pick and choose.

Killing someone is bad, but self defense laws allow people to kill someone else without going to jail. Why is the government allowed to pick and choose? Why do we stand for this? Because different outside circumstances lead to different results in thinking about what is right and wrong.

Ah, the classic slippery slope argument. The idea that there should be no restrictions out of fear that restrictions might lead to more is foolish. This applies to any time in history the slippery slope argument has been used.

Making this something discouraged does not mean we will soon discourage boosting or any other glitch just as making gay marriage legal in the US will not open the door for legal bestiality and incest a few years down the line. It can and will be done on a case by case basis.

I already stated in the OP how boosting is different. When you boost, you are still completing the achievement. I boosted the kill all pilots at extraction achievement. It would require far too much luck, you're right (though I have got 5/6 a number of times!). I still completed the requirements though.

It might go against the spirit of what was intended, but it's still clearly meeting the requirements. The glitch this thread is about is not about meeting requirements. It's avoiding all the challenge by doing the easy challenges multiple times instead of necessarily completing all the challenges.

Oh, and no one said anyone should be banned for this.

The fact that you can feign ignorance by lying about whether or not you intended to cheat or not does not actually absolve you of guilt for cheating.

Did I ever say I was feigning ignorance? Nope. I was merely making a case for someone who doesn't use TA or XBA as resources. But read into it all you want.

As for your definitions:

Cheating:

According to the dictionary, cheating is defined as...

verb (used without object)

4. to practice fraud or deceit: She cheats without regrets.

5. to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.

6. to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers.

Dictionary.com

And to make sure we're all on the same page, fraud is defined as...

noun

1. deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.

2. a particular instance of such deceit or trickery: mail fraud; election frauds.

3. any deception, trickery, or humbug: That diet book is a fraud and a waste of time.

4. a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

Cheat:

4. Wouldn't really call it fraud or deceit.

5. You aren't violating any rules or regulations as Microsoft has never come out and said you cannot earn achievements by exploiting bugs or glitches in a game like the one found in Trials Fusion, Peggle 2, Forza 5, etc.

6. This isn't an exam or test.

Fraud:

1. It isn't deceit, trickery, or breach of confidence. And it sure as shit isn't for profit or to gain an unfair advantage.

2. Again, wouldn't call it deceit or trickery.

3. And again, it isn't deception, trickery, or humbug.

4. Again, not deceitful.

Some more (and what I would deem more clear) definitions of fraud:

1. wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain: he was convicted of fraud | prosecutions for social security frauds.

2. a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities: mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds.

And why is it you seem to go after me almost always. You quoted me multiple times and one person one time. What about all the other people in this thread that have responded or said things similarly to me?

Hmm.. Thread closed in 3, 2, 1..

OT: Microsoft will sort something out with the achievement trackers eventually, but exploits, glitches and bugs will always remain present the way games are QA tested these days.

I think it just comes down to that, if you're aware of a bug that allows you to circumvent something and gain an achievement for your efforts. Are you going to take advantage of it? The choice is yours..

And why is it you seem to go after me almost always. You quoted me multiple times and one person one time. What about all the other people in this thread that have responded or said things similarly to me?

It could be that he just doesn't like you. Or it could be that he can best respond to the points you made, even if there are others that share your opinion. Or he's picking who he responds to out of a hat.

It doesn't really matter at all. You need to stop taking it personally or the thread will be closed again.

cheating, no

but it does take us to the "if you didnt earn it then whats the whole point" discussion (which is off topic so ill keep it short), in the end of the day achievement score and amount of achievements obtained do not matter, so if you are circumventing the whole process of getting the achievement, why even bother? your going to be dead and gone one day and when theyre reading your eulogy they will fail to mention the amount of achievements that you obtained in your lifetime...

but i am a complete hypocrite and will whore myself out in any way to achieve more achievements

It's a pointless argument.

• Some people don't care and hack gamerscore
  • Some people only uses glitches
  • Some people only boost a few things here and there
  • Some people do none of these or a mixture of them all

The only real authority is MS but other than than it is up to a personal moral code. If MS starts banning people for boosting, most people would stop doing it no matter how they felt about it before. Which is exactly what happened to people who modded gamerscore. If they ban start to ban for exploit people will also change their mind very quickly. But ultimately it is up to peoples own moral code on what they believe is right and how they rationalize it. Maybe you think glitches are fine because the developer..., maybe hacking is fine because you own the console and can do what you want, etc, etc.

It's pointless trying to change peoples opinion. The only one that can do that is MS by banning people.

Let's make this clear so you don't feel the need to create a new thread. In the original thread you had some strong feelings about this 'cheat' and because a few people, Hunter in particular, strongly disagreed with your views, you felt the need to question their morality and imply people who uses exploits have no self respect etc. That is why the thread was closed.

On the previous page you posted that you were preparing to counter people who didn't agree with you and from what I can tell that's almost everyone. Yet again, you target Hunter. I'm going to close this before it gets out of hand and because like Jackanape said, this topic has been done to death and usually ends when people get on their high horse.

Please do not create another one. If you wish to question people's moral standings, PM them.

MS won't ban people for no reason. Can they? Sure. But they won't. It's just bad business. But lets say you start "glitching" a bunch of achievements or some other gray area type of activity, then you can't be too sure if that will come around to getting you banned later. But if you don't boost, cheat, glitch, use exploits, etc on any of your games you will not be banned. Obviously we are just talking achievement wise, you could still get banned for modding your Xbox or something similarly unrelated to achievements.

My point is you can't say, "Just do whatever because MS can ban you whenever they want" because they won't ban a paying customer for no good reason.

Sorry to post in a locked thread here - but just wanted to clarify my point.

At no stage was I saying "just do whatever you want because MS COULD ban you at any time regardless". I was merely arguing that there is no point listing the specific things MS currently WILL ban you for - as they can, and have, changed those goal posts at any time. So you are not safe from being banned even if a current cheat/glitch may seem fine. I'd also argue that MS have banned plenty of paying customers with minimal reasons given (just look at Silva recently) and while it may well be a good reason from their point of view, the fact they are so reluctant to actually tell people what they did wrong just leads to pissed off customers.

That's all. Rest of my post is self-explanatory.