1. 1. Bioshock: Buy, Rent or Disregard?

• Buy it!
    • Rent it!
    • Disregard it, this was lame

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't enjoy the demo. I think it was because it took so damn long to download (over 11 hours!! :eek:)

However, I've read more reveiws, looks at achievements and seen video's and to be honest, I think it's a really great game. The download time just tainted my experience, thats all. I might pick it up sometime soon, but for now, it's Assassins Creed all the way, baby!!

I'm buying.

Reviews have been excellent. Demo was good, but like you said, a real pain in the arse to download.

Should be worth a couple of playthrougth's at least, and at 20 hours of gameplay to complete, a definate buy for me.

Thats what the developpers said ;)

Lets just say this, there's 7 Levels (Plus "Wlcome to Rapture (Demo Level)) and each level takes about an hour, unless you spend hours looking in every corner mutliple times. It takes aout 10 hours average, and a lot less on easy.

I'm buying.

Reviews have been excellent. Demo was good, but like you said, a real pain in the arse to download.

Should be worth a couple of playthrougth's at least, and at 20 hours of gameplay to complete, a definate buy for me.

See the reviews and buzz are what's getting me but i wanted to hear something from people who's opinions I respect other then faceless reviews. I def appreciate the feedback.

Lets just say this, there's 7 Levels (Plus "Wlcome to Rapture (Demo Level)) and each level takes about an hour, unless you spend hours looking in every corner mutliple times. It takes aout 10 hours average, and a lot less on easy.

So, 10 hours on average to beat the game..would this go as a rental for you?

See the reviews and buzz are what's getting me but i wanted to hear something from people who's opinions I respect other then faceless reviews. I def appreciate the feedback.

While Maka might be doing it in 10..other people on the forums have reported playing for 20-24 hours.

I took my time and made it to level 3 last night in probably 3 hours. So it looks like 1.5 hours for me. But I'm sure the later levels will take me longer.

While Maka might be doing it in 10..other people on the forums have reported playing for 20-24 hours.

I took my time and made it to level 3 last night in probably 3 hours. So it looks like 1.5 hours for me. But I'm sure the later levels will take me longer.

Yeah I'm considering that too, I tend to enjoy the scenery and look for secret stuff so I'd probably take longer. And I feel if I go balls to the walls and play through a game fast I don't enjoy it as much, so your right 10 hours of gameplay is probably going to be on the quick side of playing this game, while i'll be on the slower side.

Wait a minute...Maka you're wrong man...there are more than 7 levels. There's 15.

Seriously? My bad, its just that when I beat some levels and got to the elevator looking thing there were 7 options (6 of them were blank) So I assumed there were 7 levels. Oops.

Personally, if it were a 10 hour game than I would buy it regardless. But its more of a 20 hour game (I thought there were 7 levels but there are 15, Ive heard) And you can play it multiple times through. I wouldnt rent it because I enjoy playing through games very slowly. I bought it yesterday, played for 2 hours, and spent the rest of the day playing Dirt and Guitar Hero, just so I could play the game for a longer period. Thats what makes me a horrible gamerscore whore. You should buy it, a true gamer would ;)

Level names listed in the spoiler.

[spoiler=levelNames1298]

Level 1: Welcome to Rapture

Level 2: Medical Pavilion

Level 3: Neptune's Bounty

Level 4: Smugglers Hideout

Level 5: Arcadia

Level 6: Farmer's Market

Level 7: Restoring Arcadia

Level 8: Fort Frolic

Level 9: Hephaestus

Level 10: Rapture Central Control

Level 11: Olympus Heights

Level 12: Apollo Square

Level 13: Point Prometheus

Level 14: Proving Ground

Level 15: Fontaine

I am going to be completely honest,

Bioshock is the best game I have played on the 360 - in terms of single player. However, the game doesn't have any multiplayer, and if you have the time to invest into it... I would consider the game a rental. I just don't see anything that would make me want to play it more then 2-3 times with the exception of the achievements. I guess its up to the person paying, cause in my mind, I would rather invest in something that I can play nightly, rather then occasionally.

Bioshock is the best game I have played on the 360 - in terms of single player. However, the game doesn't have any multiplayer, and if you have the time to invest into it... I would consider the game a rental. I just don't see anything that would make me want to play it more then 2-3 times with the exception of the achievements. I guess its up to the person paying, cause in my mind, I would rather invest in something that I can play nightly, rather then occasionally.

If it's really that good you don't think you'll pick it up in a couple of months to play through the story again?

I'm glad they left the multiplayer off honestly. I hate it when they tack it on like they did with The Darkness.

If it's really that good you don't think you'll pick it up in a couple of months to play through the story again?

I'm glad they left the multiplayer off honestly. I hate it when they tack it on like they did with The Darkness.

Agreed bc then you have to win 250 games on a shitty multiplayer that is absolutly no fun whatsoever. They always have to tack on those last gay achievements in multiplayer :(

First off, thanks for feeling brave enough to give your honest opinion. I completely understand what you mean, a recent example of something with great 1 player but lousy/little multiplayer is the darkness, which sucks because they just threw it together and it's not solid multiplayer. But the 1 player was def worth me buying it, and if that's the case with this, I'll be buying this as well

Agreed bc then you have to win 250 games on a shitty multiplayer that is absolutly no fun whatsoever. They always have to tack on those last gay achievements in multiplayer :(

EXACTLY!, i still havent had the guts to try and go back online with the darkness

Hey I don't know what's up with all these people taking so long to download the demo. It took me an hour and a half to get! Based off of the demo, reviews, and gameplay I've seen I would definitely buy this game. It appears to be the best single player experience ever on the 360 other than Oblivion (or better if you didn't think Oblivion was great). The Unreal Engine 3 shows itself off with the amazing graphics, and the emotional response this game gets out of you is amazing. Buy it or else!

Definitely a requirement for any xbox360 library. Smooth graphics, no real issues. Great story which wil keep you interested for several hours. I do agree with the comments however on multiplayer, but know if they did one it would be much the same as that rediculously bad darkness multiplayer. you'd most likely only have access to either weapons or powers during the match. I prefer they didn't ruin the game in that way.

I'm buying the game, the demo was well timed as I wasn't 100% sure before it came out. After playing through it a few times it was pretty obvious that this was going to be a very likely candidate for game of the year, so my mind was settled =)

If you are having doubts about it then rent the game first, but since the demo is free and less hassle you should just play that. If it still isn't enough then sell your 360 and move to the Himalayas.

It's not about being a 'real gamer' or about 'game of the year', it's about how much you want to be connected to your gaming experience. BioShock stands alone as the one true instance of interactive storytelling. And not just in the way of "of course there's a storyline", but actually giving the compelling feeling of being involved in something. This is how you feel when you watch an excellent movie, or read an amazing book. You can rent it and blast through it and get all the achievements and throw it away. But you selling the game, and your experience of it, short.

There are so many ways to experiment with this title, not just with the combat and upgrade options, but with how you choose to play the game. Sure, there's the moral questions of what to do with the little sisters, but there's also the audio 'notes' left around the facility by the residents. The little moments that tell stories in and of themselves. Sure, you could rent it and beat it, but you cannot truly experience BioShock in a rental. And this is a game that deserves to be experienced.