Will shopkeepers ever respawn?

Live4Life

Short answer, yes.

People say that an assistant will take over the shop after a few days, but I've yet to see this.

This isn't 100% true. The blacksmith from Riverwood was killed by a Frost Dragon early on in my game and has till yet to respawn. The balcksmith in Riften was killed by a thief and was replaced by an assistant.

Once a character dies in an Elder Scrolls game, they stay dead. No respawning crap, so if you go on a killing spree in a town you have to live with the consequences. As far as assistants taking over, I believe you get one assistant per town who's supposed to take over if the main blacksmith dies. It'll either be the assistant (Markarth/Windhelm) or the husband/wife (Dawnstar/Riverwood). If they die also, then you're screwed for good in that town.

This isn't 100% true. The blacksmith from Riverwood was killed by a Frost Dragon early on in my game and has till yet to respawn. The balcksmith in Riften was killed by a thief and was replaced by an assistant.

Uh, you're mixing my answer up. I'm not answering the thread title, I'm answering the OP.

There was a dragon attack in Falkreath and all but 1 of the shop keepers were killed. Are they gone for good?

Short answer, yes.

See.

Yeah same with my game. Blacksmith from Riverwood got killed by that dragon and I stripped his dead body of his clothes and other things.

Months later (ingame) his body is still lying in the streets. Nobody's giving him burial?

I would expect his daughter or his wife to take over his job. Well, the daughter is still to young. :p

I've never had shopkeepers Die from a Dragon. The Bad Ass Khajiit from the College of Winterhold did get Eaten though. . . I Usually murderize the Dragons before they can do any serious harm.

But I do know that this was on of the things Ol' Todd Howard talked about before the Games Release. If a Shopkeeper dies, someone will assume their responsibilities. However it seems possible that it does not happen for every shopkeeper.

Uh, you're mixing my answer up. I'm not answering the thread title, I'm answering the OP.

See.

No I didn't...you said they were gone for good. That's not the case. I think it has to do with where that person lives. Riverwood hardly has people.....Riften has a large amount of people. That's probably why the Blacksmith in Riften was replaced in my game and not in Riverwood.

No I didn't...you said they were gone for good. That's not the case.

This isn't 100% true. The blacksmith from Riverwood was killed by a Frost Dragon early on in my game and has till yet to respawn.

Ummm, what? I said they were gone for good and you said they were as well, which is true, the NPC will never respawn again. Hell, you even proved it in your post. Am I missing something?

Ummm, what? I said they were gone for good and you said they were as well, which is true, the NPC will never respawn again. Hell, you even proved it in your post. Am I missing something?

Are you just messing with me?

You kidding??

People say that an assistant will take over the shop after a few days, but I've yet to see this.

An NPC replacing another NPC =/= NPC respawning...

You get what I'm saying here?

When a shopkeeper dies, they are dead for good. They may be replaced by an assistant, but the question was, and I quote:

There was a dragon attack in Falkreath and all but 1 of the shop keepers were killed. Are they gone for good?

A baby with headphones and a professional football player arguing... lol internet.

Also, LOL!

And we're not arguing, at least not in my eyes, just attempting to clear up misconceptions.

some people get really annoying on here. the answer to the question is no, an NPC will not reswpawn. in riften, if the blacksmith dies his apprentice will take over. in riverwood there is no apprentice. if a shop doesn't have someone else to take over you will not be able to use that shop. the only problem created here has to do with finishing or starting quests where the dead npc is essential, as no shopkeeper is going to have an item you can't get by without. when a dragon attacks a town make sure no one is dead afterwards, if someone is then reload a save.