What is Cyberpunk 2077?

LickableLemons7

Yeah...go figure. Thanks for reminding me about D&D, though. I don't think that is something I'd want to play (leaning towards 2020) but I'm sure I know some dudes who play it. If I'm ever in the mood I might check it out.

With the right RPG group, you can have some really AMAZING adventures that cannot be repeated.

Our group has been playing a set of D&D characters for over two years now. We tend to mix it up every few weeks though so that our DM/GM doesn't get burned out. So we'll play D&D for a few weeks, then switch to another gamemaster and he'll run Star Wars for a few weeks, switch again, and it's something different for a week or two, then back to D&D.

We tend to stick to D&D and Star Wars pretty regularly though. I think most regular tabletop RPG players will agree that our situation is fairly normal. Ever since Wizards of the Coast took over D&D, it's become a fairly stable system that only changes once every decade or so. And it's an easy system to learn with OODLES of source material and settings.

I've only played Cyberpunk 2020 once and I don't remember being impressed by the system. Shadowrun, however, is very similar to the old WEG Star Wars system, and it's pretty easy to understand ... you'll just need LOTS of D6's.

I've only played Cyberpunk 2020 once and I don't remember being impressed by the system.

What do you think caused you to not be impressed with the system? I still don't know jack about tabletop RPGs, but I'd like to learn. If you weren't impressed it seems like it'd be best for me if I start with 2020 first.

What do you think caused you to not be impressed with the system? I still don't know jack about tabletop RPGs, but I'd like to learn. If you weren't impressed it seems like it'd be best for me if I start with 2020 first.

There are good things and bad things:

The system is more skill-based rather than level-based, which can work sometimes, but usually ends up being rather clunky and hard to learn.

But the one thing that is cool about Cyberpunk 2020 is the lethality. Unlike many RPGs which have combat that is more "action-centric" and more reminiscent of what you'd see on TV and movies, Cyberpunk takes a very hard realistic approach ... which makes combat very gritty and deadly.

However, while this is cool, it also means that your group tends to spend more time making new characters to replace dead ones rather than actually playing the game ... because one lucky roll of the dice or unlucky one, and your character is pretty much insta-dead.

Now, I've only played the 1990 version of 2020, I haven't played the updated one they did in like 2006 or so, but from what I understand, not much changed.

Cyberpunk 2020 is NOT a good game to learn tabletop RPGs on because it's unforgiving and has a somewhat complicated system. One of the reasons so many people play D&D is that it's system is fairly easy to learn, and for a first tabletop RPG, easy to learn is more important than pretty much anything.

Cyberpunk 2020 is NOT a good game to learn tabletop RPGs on because it's unforgiving and has a somewhat complicated system. One of the reasons so many people play D&D is that it's system is fairly easy to learn, and for a first tabletop RPG, easy to learn is more important than pretty much anything.

So D&D is more like Call of Duty...and Cyberpunk 2020 is like System Shock? If that's the case then it sounds like 2020 was made for me, heh. I eat complexity for brekkers.

So D&D is more like Call of Duty...and Cyberpunk 2020 is like System Shock? If that's the case then it sounds like 2020 was made for me, heh. I eat complexity for brekkers.

CoD is a bad example ... maybe Minecraft.

Minecraft is a simple game for someone new to games to learn, but you can do almost an infinite amount of things with it the more time and depth you go with it. System Shock is complicated, but you'd never suggest it to someone as a first game to play if they'd never played games before.

That's kind of the difference I think.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CD made the decision to push back The Witcher 3 not so long ago.

Development of Cyberpunk 2077 is apparently unaffected by this move.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-delay-does-not-affect-cyberpunk-2077/1100-6418262/

[uPDATE and CORRECTION] An earlier version of this story stated that Cyberpunk 2077 is officially confirmed for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. GameSpot regrets the error.

The original story is below.

The delay of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC will not materially affect development on CD Projekt Red's other major role-playing game Cyberpunk 2077, CEO of the Polish studio Marcin Iwinski has said.

"Cyberpunk 2077 is developed by a separate team within CD Projekt Red, so the development of Cyberpunk 2077 is not really affected," Iwinski told GameSpot today. Cyberpunk 2077 is "probably" coming to Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

But that's not the full story. Because The Witcher 3 is such a large project, some Cyberpunk 2077 developers have moved over to The Witcher team to help get the product out the door.

"In order to ship a huge RPG we do use help of certain team members between teams. It works this way between Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3," he said.

These developers bounce between teams to finalize "key" elements and features, he said. This is a standard development practice and The Witcher 3's delay is not going to impact in any significant way development on Cyberpunk 2077. "So no harm done here," he explained.

"We are working hard to deliver an outstanding RPG and rest assured, that all the learnings on The Witcher 3 are being applied to the Cyberpunk 2077 development," Iwinski said.

The Witcher 3 was expected to launch this fall, but CD Projekt Red delayed the game yesterday to February 2015 so the team could achieve a level of quality that will set it apart from other role-playing games. Meanwhile, CD Projekt Red has not announced a release date of any kind for Cyberpunk 2077, which the studio calls a "true RPG."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A little saddend CD didn't talk or show anything of the game at E3 this year.

Maybe since Witcher 3 will be out and outta the way, next year's focus will be on Cyberpunk then? I hope so.

It's pointless to talk about Cyberpunk 2077 since it'll be at least 2 years before we'll see a release. Let The witcher 3 get it's spotlight, they can always show some Cyberpunk 2077 footage next year.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...