Bad Signs Before First Play

While I don't buy a great many games on release day I would say about half of them have updates on release day. I actually like this because it means the developers have still been working on the game since going gold and have ironed out a few more wrinkles.

So I picked up the game this morning, and it's already not boding well...

First, there was already an update available...on RELEASE DAY. Yikes.

Second...during said update, my system locked up and I had to do a hard power down.

Thanks, UBI!

First of all, you must not play games much on release day because 90% of them recieve an update day one. Like others have said, this is a good thing, because devs have been working on making your experience better. As far as the update locking your system up, I am also going to have to say it is your system and has nothing to do with the game.

So I picked up the game this morning, and it's already not boding well...

First, there was already an update available...on RELEASE DAY. Yikes.

Second...during said update, my system locked up and I had to do a hard power down.

Thanks, UBI!

Like everyone else has said, pretty much every release date purchase I've made in the last year or so (off the top of my head that is about 10 or so games) has had an immediate update.

Second of all, your system locking up has nothing at all to do with UBI.

In otherwords...Settle down chief.

Settle down there. First, your system locking is I almost 100% positive has nothing to do with Ubisoft or AC:R

Second, I think nearly every game has an update. This actually doesn't mean it's a patch, as MS has of course tweaked the dashboard so much that I remember back near the last update every game got an update. (and all it was for was to smooth compatibility with the Dashboard).

Only some games have full fledged updates at launch. Battlefield had one addressing everything from the beta. (or as much as they could). Remember, a game's "gold" copy is sent out around 2-3 months prior to the release, it takes around 3 weeks to get approval at Microsoft, then of course they send the Master Disc to the disc press to get all the copies made. In the mean time, they can of course evaluate and work on anything that might creep up during that time frame. Anything that Microsoft testers found can be fixed, etc.

So relax. Be glad that in this day and age console games can indeed get patchs.

And before you say "it should be perfect when release!" don't.

It's impossible. Even with a large team of testers over several months, there is going to be things they miss. It's not possible to make the "perfect" code.

Going from 60 testers to millions of fans is huge. It's why games like Skyrim finds bugs the testers don't within hours of release. There is just no way to account for everything, every possibility, etc. Not to mention the number of bugs/glitches that come up as "Non-Replicable". Simple glitches or bugs that they only see once, and test and test and cannot replicate it. It might be a freak one time thing. Or, it might be more better discovered once a million people get their hands on the game.

Holy Hell...I wasn't aware that I was the one who should "settle down." I made two posts in a mostly joking manner. And...no, I don't play a ton of games on release day. My whole point was that for me at least, my initial play of the game seemed like bad "karma." Not complaining really...just making an observation. I wasn't actually blaming UBI for my lockup. However, it seems like a patch two or three days after "official" release day makes more sense so you have a bigger pool of possible glitches.

So...I'm thankful for updates, not upset, and will now go and play the game on my dying XBOX.

Let's all step away from this post now.