Give Devil May Cry A Chance

Chozo_Lord

After looking at the threads on this game over here on this site I think I'll go back to the PS3 site where people have decent rational about the game other than "WON'T LOOK AT IT WON'T BUY IT."

Only a few people are acting this way. Most people are voicing an opinion for others to discuss. I do agree with and understand what you're saying though, it annoys me too.

I love the DMC series and after playing the demo for the new DMC I can say that it has definitely been simplified. I know a different company has worked on it, so they have obviously tried to broaden their market by making it more accessible to those who are unfamiliar with the series.[...]

[...]

If you take the fact that it has the title Devil May Cry out of the equation, and focus on the game itself what would you say about it?[...]

Edited by II Mortis II

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a few people are acting this way. Most people are voicing an opinion for others to discuss. I do agree with and understand what you're saying though, it annoys me too.

It's just such a good hack n' slash and I hate to see people dismissing it because of the characters look or because they changed the story.

Ive played every DMC game, liked all of them except 4 really, and I think DmC is the best one yet. Honestly I like the new Dante better, the storyline is better now and the gameplay, while it maybe a bit simpler, is honestly better and more fun IMO. I really don't get the hate this game is getting. So what if they changed things? Old Dante was kinda dumb looking, and I think more "emo" looking than the new Dante. And this one has a much better story than before. DMC 1 and 3 are still great games, 2 and 4 not so much, but just because this is different doesn't mean its not worth playing.

I'm a huge DMC fan. I'd say DMC 2 is probably the worst in the series. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think it's good that they're breaking away from the original look of the game and I feel this re-boot is exactly what the series needs to pick it up once more and have DMC competing with the top titles on the shelves nowadays.

The best part about it is that you can change the character model to DMC 3 Dante if you pre-ordered or are prepared to shell out a little extra. Hell, even when you beat the game you unlock a shorter blonde-haired version of Dante obviously showing that if there were to be a new game in this series that he would have it.

I don't really get how people can differentiate the two characters, it's still Dante. Just a younger version of him that had no idea what was going on. But, as you go through the story he starts to get his shit together.

It's really just an internet fad really. Every new game in a series has a bunch of "true fans" indicating their disgust in every new installment that comes to light.

Think Halo, Gears, Dead Space, DMC, Resident Evil and the list goes on. I've said it before on these forums. It must suck living your life being so cynical. To bitch and moan and judge a book by it's oh so short cover.

You'd think with such a shitty history of demo versions people would learn to rent a game to see if they like it. Hell, I know people that played the Battlefield 3 demo and swore off it completely only to go get it and love it uncontrollably. Seems like that trend is following here.

Like most here I'm a DMC fan from back in the day. I really enjoyed DmC, it's a very decent hack and slash game... but a very poor DMC. It does so much right, but it gives with one hand and takes away with the other.

As everybody who knows the series well knows that Dante was the Son of Sparda, a demon and Eva, a human. So why the fuck does he now have an Angel mother just to justify Dante's angel weapons?

Messing about with DMC's lore is like a big 'FUCK YOU' to all the fans that have been faithful to the series for the last 12 years. It's like Master Chief taking his armour off in Halo 5 and it turns out to be Bobby Ewing from Dallas who dreamed up the whole Halo story whilst taking a shower in 1985.

The game also seems to steal from numerous games, films and TV shows. The Succubus is straight from the Slurm Queen episode of Futurama and every time I went into devil trigger I felt like I was Frodo Baggins when he puts the ring on.

CAPCOM have ruined Resident Evil for me and now with help from Ninja Theory it looks like DMC is going the same way. I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face and say I'll never buy a DMC game ever again, but they won't be release day purchases anymore, I'll be buying preowned and I won't be supporting the game by buying dlc.

Best DMC in the series? Give your heads a wobble!

Edited by KILLBOT

Don't be mad killbot. Capcom know they fucked up. They dropped their estimated sales to 2 mil and so far it's at a grand total of 360k. It's not doing well. A lot of people won't touch it because they pissed on the series. Roll on dmc 5.

Don't forget kids. Good game. Bad dmc game. buy preowned if you must :3

Don't be mad killbot.

You are the sobering ying to my raging yang, mr wong tong. :)

I wasn't really mad, just a bit disappointed. I've enjoyed DmC, probably going to get my 1000G today (just need SSS nephilim and 5000k kills).

I've been gaming a long time but only recently did something dawn on me... 'game developers and publishers don't give a fuck about us, they never have'. If as gamers we all treated them with the same contempt that they show us we might be better off.

It's a lesson learned and I feel a little embarrassed that it's taken me this long to learn it. When I'm done with the game I'll be trading it in, no DLC will be purchased and hopefully someone will pick up my preowned copy rather than buy new. I notice original DMC skins have gone on sale today for DmC, what a piss take.

Before I sign off I have some FUCK YOU's that I'd like to award and they go to....

CAPCOM

DmC

Shitty devil trigger

Ninja Theory

Tameem Antoniades

Anybody that thinks DmC is the best Devil May Cry evah!

GAME

David Cameron

Thank you and good night! :)

The best part about it is that you can change the character model to DMC 3 Dante if you pre-ordered or are prepared to shell out a little extra. Hell, even when you beat the game you unlock a shorter blonde-haired version of Dante obviously showing that if there were to be a new game in this series that he would have it.

I don't really get how people can differentiate the two characters, it's still Dante. Just a younger version of him that had no idea what was going on. But, as you go through the story he starts to get his shit together.

It's really just an internet fad really. Every new game in a series has a bunch of "true fans" indicating their disgust in every new installment that comes to light.

Think Halo, Gears, Dead Space, DMC, Resident Evil and the list goes on. I've said it before on these forums. It must suck living your life being so cynical. To bitch and moan and judge a book by it's oh so short cover.

You'd think with such a shitty history of demo versions people would learn to rent a game to see if they like it. Hell, I know people that played the Battlefield 3 demo and swore off it completely only to go get it and love it uncontrollably. Seems like that trend is following here.

It sucks that this internet fad is turning off potential buyers, I love Ninja Theory and don't want to see them go under on something so dumb cause of the internet trolls. I'm loving DmC, and if this game does bad I don't know how people think they're going to get DMC5.

You hit the nail right on the head, it's sad these people just go to every website they can and spew shit about it or rate it down. Apparently they have nothing better to do lol. If people dislike the game so much, why spend so much time on its forums...

I think you're missing the point, gratchimodo.

DMC1 came out about 12 years ago and since then the games have built up a following. DmC has arrived and basically took a shit on what made the game popular in the first place.

It isn't a case of whether the game is good or bad. I'm a big fan of DMC and personally I've really enjoyed playing DmC, but to change so many fundamental parts of the game including the race of Dante's parents is criminal.

I'm guessing that the majority of people that think people like me are being unreasonable are either new to DMC, too young to really remember the originals, casual gamers or people that couldn't give a toss about the last 12 years of the series. If anyone falls into either of those labels I ask you to please respect the people that have invested years in these games and do feel a sense of being let down because someone has violated their beloved game.

There are going to be three new Star Wars films. Can you imagine if they changed key elements of the story or the characters background for 'new fans' and would you expect there not to be any fallout? Imagine if in the 7th Star Wars film Luke Skywalker went on Jeremy Kyle/Jerry Springer and after a DNA test found out Darth Vader wasn't his father. The principle is the same.

There are going to be three new Star Wars films. Can you imagine if they changed key elements of the story or the characters background for 'new fans' and would you expect there not to be any fallout? Imagine if in the 7th Star Wars film Luke Skywalker went on Jeremy Kyle/Jerry Springer and after a DNA test found out Darth Vader wasn't his father. The principle is the same.

The principle is not the same. The 7th Star Wars is a direct sequel, not a series reboot like DMC is.

The principle is not the same. The 7th Star Wars is a direct sequel, not a series reboot like DMC is.

I see you've been a member of the forum 5 years or more and only posted 18 times. I'm honoured that one of those posts was just to call me out. :)

I think you're missing the point, gratchimodo.

DMC1 came out about 12 years ago and since then the games have built up a following. DmC has arrived and basically took a shit on what made the game popular in the first place.

It isn't a case of whether the game is good or bad. I'm a big fan of DMC and personally I've really enjoyed playing DmC, but to change so many fundamental parts of the game including the race of Dante's parents is criminal.

I'm guessing that the majority of people that think people like me are being unreasonable are either new to DMC, too young to really remember the originals, casual gamers or people that couldn't give a toss about the last 12 years of the series. If anyone falls into either of those labels I ask you to please respect the people that have invested years in these games and do feel a sense of being let down because someone has violated their beloved game.

What point in my original quote am I missing?

I remember the games from a long time ago many of my friends like them, I'd say about 8 years ago? 4 years behind the times...I also own the first 3 for my PS2 so I'm not that new either.

I've invested almost 11 years into the Kingdom Hearts series and have been continuously let down by the handheld releases. They're so bad...but complaining to people that like it won't do anything, but I can understand where you're coming from. The story has also gotten extremely convoluted with the spin off games, so the original creators are shitting all over it with their greed.

The only thing I think is unreasonable is that people go around rating the game down and bashing it everywhere they can without reason like the troll cesspool that is Metacritic. Not saying you are, but that's what I was referring to in my other post. Capcom took the shit on its fans, not NT. This isn't that surprising. People are greedy, and when they see an opportunity to expand to get more money they take it, but at least this game isn't a complete waste like it could have been. At least they didn't make it an FPS :p

Edited by gratchimodo

The vibe I got from your earlier post was that any with an opinion other than 'DmC is the best game ever' was being unreasonable for having a negative opinion and that they have no right to be pissed off.

Not only am I pissed off about the changes made to Dante's background etc etc, but I'm also pissed off at the unprofessional way Tameem, CAPCOM EU and Alex Jones (to name but a few) have conducted themselves at various times during development.

I trusted CAPCOM to do the right thing. Fans expect a certain level of quality and not only are we fans, but consumers too. I spent £44 to buy the game, so how dumb and let down do you think I feel? I'm not the only one, the people that are reacting angrily also feel the same way.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the game, but the whole bullshit saga has left a nasty taste in my mouth. I 1000G'd the game 10 minutes ago and that's me done. No paying for dlc, no more release day purchases for future DmC's and no buying new. FUCK EM!

Good day!

It's not a terrible game, but for me it's a shadow of its former self. It has lots of things I like but a lot more that I dislike. Its like new coke, if people like coke then they have to like new coke, right? And we all know how that ended.

Also if I could get my hands on that first chode who said "his hair is different so I'm not getting it" I'd swing for him, cause of that ass any classic devil may cry fan who doesn't like DmC gets lumped into that argument!

I play it on PC and as of yesterday got a title update that nerfs the Demon Dodge effects and has your combo meter degrade over time until it gets back to S rank. Just a couple of things that seem to restore faith in some of the older fans I think. The free Bloody Palace TU is going to be pretty cool also.

Glad I gave this game a chance. Enjoyed the nods to the Matrix, They Live, and Ghostbusters. For a reboot, I enjoyed what Ninja Theory did. My only complaint, wish there was a target lock on feature like it previous installments. Finally, the boss battle in chapter 10 was an incredibly clever!

I thought they were rebooting the star wars series so they could fit darth vader in. They know darth is the big attraction and the money spinner.

I play it on PC and as of yesterday got a title update that nerfs the Demon Dodge effects and has your combo meter degrade over time until it gets back to S rank. Just a couple of things that seem to restore faith in some of the older fans I think. The free Bloody Palace TU is going to be pretty cool also.

They wouldn't do that for the fans. It's because the game is genuinely way too easy. But then everybody knew that. It was made for the casuals in mind. Bet you can still get SSS every stage with no effort.

I'm curious as to why bloody palace was made free dlc. I still believe in my heart they were going to charge for bloody palace. Big game. Rip a bit off of it like they did with resi 6 and it's online mode and profit. But then the game flopped so they give it free to look good.

'game developers and publishers don't give a fuck about us, they never have'. If as gamers we all treated them with the same contempt that they show us we might be better off.

Before I sign off I have some FUCK YOU's that I'd like to award and they go to....

CAPCOM

DmC

Shitty devil trigger

Ninja Theory

Tameem Antoniades

Anybody that thinks DmC is the best Devil May Cry evah!

GAME

David Cameron

Thank you and good night! :)

That gave me a good giggle. I know you aren't mad more just disappointing. I know how you feel. And they i noticed last year they don't care about us anymore. I find it more difficult everyday to willingly give my money to these companies. Passion for great games is dying and dlc profits are rising. It truly saddens me. I can only bring myself to give money to platinum lately, those guys always deserve my monies.

And i loved that big ole fuck you list. Game will go down i promise you that. They were closing down only to be saved and what do they do? Go back to the same prices what destroyed them. And good old Dave, that one made ma laugh.

Edited by mr wong tong

The vibe I got from your earlier post was that any with an opinion other than 'DmC is the best game ever' was being unreasonable for having a negative opinion and that they have no right to be pissed off.

Not only am I pissed off about the changes made to Dante's background etc etc, but I'm also pissed off at the unprofessional way Tameem, CAPCOM EU and Alex Jones (to name but a few) have conducted themselves at various times during development.

I trusted CAPCOM to do the right thing. Fans expect a certain level of quality and not only are we fans, but consumers too. I spent £44 to buy the game, so how dumb and let down do you think I feel? I'm not the only one, the people that are reacting angrily also feel the same way.

Lol I was just saying it's ridiculous the people that spend vast amounts of time rating the game down everywhere they can. Some people still complain about the new look, pregnant woman being shot and that reviewers were paid off, how is that not ridiculous? That's what I was talking about I don't lump everyone that doesn't like the game into those categories, just the people that actually say it.

No one made any of the angry fans buy the game, and many probably already felt they wouldn't like the game, at least it can still be sold and recoup most of the money spent.

When does Capcom do right by its fans? Lol. Capcom should have left the original lore intact. But for people looking for a fun game, it is.

Peace, at least you enjoyed the game somewhat. Hope you get most of your money back if you sell it! :woop:

I'm curious as to why bloody palace was made free dlc. I still believe in my heart they were going to charge for bloody palace. Big game. Rip a bit off of it like they did with resi 6 and it's online mode and profit. But then the game flopped so they give it free to look good.

They said bloody palace was going to be free before release.

They said bloody palace was going to be free before release.

Well yeah they knew the game wouldn't sell well from the start.Dropped estimates, held a talk about resident evil and and dmc's future. Let's be honest they threw out waaaaay too many free things. That's not capcom style.

Every capcom game preorder you get 1 neat little thing. This you had vergils downfall, costumes, a pendant if you went with capcom store, bloody palace and all that jazz. You can tell capcom knew it wasn't selling.