Open Letter to Any Game Company Considering Online Multiplayer Passes

Dr Smart Ace

Dear Game Companies:

First of all, let me just say that I love your work. Well most of it...some of it is crap. I know that gaming is a business, and a big one at that. I know that you have to make a profit in order to stay in business and sometimes it gets really hard to stand out in a crowd of "Hey Look at Me's!!!" I know it's not easy to have your voices heard all of the time. But what do I know, I'm just a gamer. I grew up as part of the Gaming Generation and let's just say that if I could combine and include all of my lifetime's gaming experience into a single gamerscore, it would be Infinity. There are disturbing trends in the gaming world that must be addressed if this business is going to survive as it is today.

I've heard some people say that capitalism is the problem. It's not capitalism that's the problem, it's companies like EA who have gotten used to people shelling out $60 every year for a slightly changed sports game. They are taking for granted what they used to have to compete for. Remember when ESPN NFL 2K5 launched at a $19.99 retail price and the latest Madden launched at double that (this was last gen btw). In my opinion, NFL 2K5 was the superior football game that year. How did the next years competition go? Well I'm still waiting on ESPN NFL 2K6. That's because EA decided to buy exclusive NFL rights for 5 years. Where they couldn't compete or innovate...they instead bought out the competition. Why do I feel the sudden urge to play Monopoly right now? THAT could certainly make a computer cry. ;)

When capitalism is at its best, everybody wins. The power of choice lay with the consumer. When you fail to innovate and create, you get nothing. Sure EA's bottom line was safe, but it was the everyday gamer who suffered the most. Now I'm sure you've enjoyed this walk down memory lane, but this actually leads into my main point...Online Multiplayer Passes. This is just a flat out bad business decision, much like the NFL exclusive deal EA signed. You know some executive who spends more time with spreadsheets than actually gaming came up with this idea. And yes I know it's to push people to buy the new copy of a game, but they have to realize that the reason people shell out $60 for a Halo or Call of Duty game so easily is because those games have a track record for being high in quality and most importantly...fun! This is gaming we are talking about people. THIS is our escape, our getaway from everyday life. For example, I have only been on a pony several times in my life (the cowboy photos outside of the grocery stores when I was a kid...you know the ones), but when I play Red Dead Redemption, I'm the rootenest tootenest cowboy this side of the Mighty Mississippi!

In the gaming world, there is nothing worse than paying FULL PRICE for a CRAP GAME. I don't know, maybe I'm still bitter over paying $60 for Superman for the Nintendo 64....tastes like Lifeboy Soap. Well I stand corrected. What IS worse is that now when I rent a game to avoid being burned the umpteenth time I don't even get access to the full game. And now this Crock of Crap idea is spreading to other companies who do not have EA's deep pockets to protect them.

For example, Homefront was a game I have been waiting for for a loooooong time. I even watched Red Dawn one more time! Well Homefront came out last week and there was no way I could afford to buy it at that time, but I was so excited about playing it that I rented it for 5 days at the local video store (yes they still exist!). That game required an online multiplayer pass (or Battle Code) to play and it severely limited my multiplayer playing time. Now let me be clear (in my best Obama impersonation voice), without a pass, you CAN play online, but your XP maxes out on level 5 which you get to VERY fast. And as anyone in gaming can tell you...it's all about the XP baby! Not to mention the fact that the campaign was anywhere from 5-8 hours long and not fun enough to where I was motivated to even play through it again. Oh sure I could go onto Xbox Live and purchase an Online Pass (Battle Code) for $10...yeah like that's gonna happen THQ. So there I was, 2 days into a 5 day rental and finding myself returning the game early and only getting 200/1000 achievements. Hate to think how I would've felt had I shelled out the $60. This was so disappointing THQ...the best part of your game and you basically ship a demo version of online multiplayer to go along with your short (yet interesting) mediocre single player campaign. Way to launch a new IP, especially in the NOT AT ALL super competitive FPS genre. Nothing says try our NEW shooter like alienating half the people who want to play it but can't afford to buy it right out of the gate. This also really discourages me to not want to buy it in the future, because there will be a lot better games come out later this year by the time Homefront's price drops.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm a former PC gamer who is used to getting DLC for free (God Bless you Valve) not to mention legally modded games and whatnot (Counter Strike). Or maybe it's the fact that I'm not working at the moment and it just ticks me off that I ALREADY PAY to be on Xbox Live to do what....PLAY GAMES ONLINE. And now what you are saying is that if I don't overpay for a new $60 average so-so FPS that I can't level up in your precious online multiplayer which is the majority worth of the $60?! Call up Nolan Bushnell and ask him how fast things can spiral downwards when you get greedy in a downed economy.

Oh hey...look at that. Crysis 2 comes out next week, just 7 days after Homefront's launch. Hmmmmm, that was a fun multiplayer demo. I've never played the original Crysis but I've played enough of Crysis 2's demo to feel comfortable with taking the risk. Gamers sometimes play stupid games, but we are not stupid people. Treat us better or someone else will.

Sincerely,

An Average Gamer

P.S. - If anyone is looking for help in the gaming industry, I'm willing to broaden my horizons into a new career...seriously. Don't be mad. Everyone needs to hear the truth from time to time. Learning from our mistakes is the secret to success in business and in life. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well written. While I agree with you, you have to see what compaines like EA and THQ are trying to do. They want a piece of the used Video Game market. Honestly, unless it's a game I HAVE to have I usually buy used. So now the developer wants some of my money too.

I still agree that they are being greedy.

When you buy a second hand car, do you get a new manufactures warranty? Do you still get roadside assistance, free oil changes, and a rental car for when you need service? No. Buy the game new and you get the online pass. Buy it used and dont get the same perks. Put the shoe on the other foot and look at it from my perspective. I buy the game new for $60, and you buy it used a week later for $40+$10 battlecode. You still paid $10 less than me so be happy. Also, if you are just renting the game, does it matter if you get to level 25 or level 5. You still get to play the game, and you arent going to have enough time to get to max level, unless you buy the game.

Your really not going to be happy with this bit of news! It's not common knowledge yet but in a Bid to save more money EA are discontinuing instruction Manual and plumping for in game instructions

I don't remember the last time I actually looked in a manual for anything.

Most of the time they stay in the box.

Your really not going to be happy with this bit of news! It's not common knowledge yet but in a Bid to save more money EA are discontinuing instruction Manual and plumping for in game instructions

are you seriously raging for those 2 page pamphlets that no one reads? On topic, I buy new mostly, used games are pure profit for companies like Gamestop where they literally get any games you trade in for a steal and flip them for 3x as much. I'd rather buy new anyway.

When you buy a second hand car, do you get a new manufactures warranty? Do you still get roadside assistance, free oil changes, and a rental car for when you need service? No. Buy the game new and you get the online pass. Buy it used and dont get the same perks. Put the shoe on the other foot and look at it from my perspective. I buy the game new for $60, and you buy it used a week later for $40+$10 battlecode. You still paid $10 less than me so be happy. Also, if you are just renting the game, does it matter if you get to level 25 or level 5. You still get to play the game, and you arent going to have enough time to get to max level, unless you buy the game.

The only flaw in this I see is that a week later, good luck finding the game at $40 bucks. Gamestop still has Call of Duty black ops for $54.99, now if you add the $10 battle code, that now pushes the price to $64.99.

I'm completely against these battle codes, I pay the now inflated online price of $60 plus risk $60 bucks for a game that could be crap, now I have to buy a battle code to progress past level 5. Oh and let's not forget how in 2 months, we will put out brand new DLC, you get a whole 3 maps to play on. Please pay us 800 to 1200 MSP or another $10 to $15 dollars. After all is said and done, you end up paying well over $100 bucks for games like Halo etc.

are you seriously raging for those 2 page pamphlets that no one reads? On topic, I buy new mostly, used games are pure profit for companies like Gamestop where they literally get any games you trade in for a steal and flip them for 3x as much. I'd rather buy new anyway.

Not at all! I couldn't care less! I'm just saying do you think they will pass on the savings?

Not at all! I couldn't care less! I'm just saying do you think they will pass on the savings?

Not a chance, just like the US government bailed out the mortgage companies with the idea they would open up their checkbooks yet, when I was buying a house the debt to income ratio had to be below 30%, when it was supposed to be 45%

The only flaw in this I see is that a week later, good luck finding the game at $40 bucks. Gamestop still has Call of Duty black ops for $54.99, now if you add the $10 battle code, that now pushes the price to $64.99.

I'm completely against these battle codes, I pay the now inflated online price of $60 plus risk $60 bucks for a game that could be crap, now I have to buy a battle code to progress past level 5. Oh and let's not forget how in 2 months, we will put out brand new DLC, you get a whole 3 maps to play on. Please pay us 800 to 1200 MSP or another $10 to $15 dollars. After all is said and done, you end up paying well over $100 bucks for games like Halo etc.

Call of duty doesnt have a battlecode which is why its still 54.99. Lets say homefront does drop to 54.99 + a $10 battlecode, then just buy it new instead and get the code. Either the new or used game will be a better deal, so just pick whichever one is the better deal. Keep in mind online passes are not there just to create extra revenue. They are also a way of messing with used prices, which hurts stores like gamestop. If gamestop doesnt lower the price, and the used game+battle code, costs more than a new game, then people will buy new. If gamestop does decide to lower the price, then it also lowers their profits, which puts them in a catch 22. A perfect example is the COD4 and MW2 combo pack from a month or two ago. The combo pack was $40 at gamestop (brand new), but a used copy of just MW2 was $40. So you could get two new games for the price of one used game. This was not done by mistake or coincedence. In 6 months we will be seeing a homefront/frontline combo pack with battle code for $40, and used copy of homefront will be $30+ you still need to buy the $10 battlecode.

Edit: I know it may be hard to believe, but I am not totally defending the publishers for charging the fee. I am defending the reasons as to why they are doing it, and not all the blame should be placed on them. Essentially stores like gamestop get a free pass and make a ton of easy profit, without doing the hard work. The publishers/devs just found a way to screw the game stores, and send a bit of that profit their way. This could very easily be fixed without gamecodes, but it will never happen. Retailers could set up an agreement where a certain percent of the sales on used games goes back to the devs/publishers. Everybody would get a slice of the pie, without using online passes, however this would never happen.

Edited by MC B0B x360a

Dr Smart Ace... :bow:

I totally agree with you. Wholeheartedly. I couldn't have put any of that better myself.

Also, the point Romefalls makes it very true also. Here on XBL, we pay for our service, to which we need to pay again for online play, to which we pay AGAIN for further DLC... It's a joke. The amount of money all of these companies are making is ridiculous, but as long as we keep of forking out the funds, they'll keep coming out with more ways to scrape our pockets dry.

I think the online pass is a great idea, means more money to the studio and that means better games in the future.

Show me these better games you are speaking about please. The money earned is not meant to make better games, it is just meant to make money flat out. It is because they are getting greedy and lazy at the same time. They are getting to lazy to make a game that people want to keep, so they do this to make money off of people who rent/trade/buy used. If they were more confident in their game they would expect that people would just buy it. That is why call of duty dosnt need an online pass (dont call me a cod fanboy, it made bank and they knew it would). The only people who think this is a good idea are the executives that work at these studios so I dont know what the hell your talking about.

I have a younger brother with an xbox so when I buy a game with an online pass, he cant play it unless he buys one. This is bull shit because I paid full price for a game that I think I should be able to share with others and I cant.

It would be one thing if the xbox live service was free, or if the game was cheaper, or if the same pass could be used for multiple consoles as long as only one person was on the game at a given time, or if the game wasnt full of advertisments for every fucking company you can think of. The excessive advertisements in the game is anoying but at the same time it does make it more realistic. I am assuming that they were given payments for the advertisments in the game. Make better games using that money and quit trying to steal it from people.

MC BOB you bring up some really interesting points but there is no way I will ever be able to support these codes. Also although gamestop buys used games at such a low price and sell them for 300% profit, I still buy used games there very often. I dont care what they gave the guy that sold it, but if I can get games for 10-20 dollars only a year after release I will do it every time.

Edited by M49907

Call of duty doesnt have a battlecode which is why its still 54.99. Lets say homefront does drop to 54.99 + a $10 battlecode, then just buy it new instead and get the code. Either the new or used game will be a better deal, so just pick whichever one is the better deal. Keep in mind online passes are not there just to create extra revenue. They are also a way of messing with used prices, which hurts stores like gamestop. If gamestop doesnt lower the price, and the used game+battle code, costs more than a new game, then people will buy new. If gamestop does decide to lower the price, then it also lowers their profits, which puts them in a catch 22. A perfect example is the COD4 and MW2 combo pack from a month or two ago. The combo pack was $40 at gamestop (brand new), but a used copy of just MW2 was $40. So you could get two new games for the price of one used game. This was not done by mistake or coincedence. In 6 months we will be seeing a homefront/frontline combo pack with battle code for $40, and used copy of homefront will be $30+ you still need to buy the $10 battlecode.

Edit: I know it may be hard to believe, but I am not totally defending the publishers for charging the fee. I am defending the reasons as to why they are doing it, and not all the blame should be placed on them. Essentially stores like gamestop get a free pass and make a ton of easy profit, without doing the hard work. The publishers/devs just found a way to screw the game stores, and send a bit of that profit their way. This could very easily be fixed without gamecodes, but it will never happen. Retailers could set up an agreement where a certain percent of the sales on used games goes back to the devs/publishers. Everybody would get a slice of the pie, without using online passes, however this would never happen.

People are also forgetting that online passes help to prevent piracy or recoup money lost by said method of gaming

MC BOB you bring up some really interesting points but there is no way I will ever be able to support these codes. Also although gamestop buys used games at such a low price and sell them for 300% profit, I still buy used games there very often. I dont care what they gave the guy that sold it, but if I can get games for 10-20 dollars only a year after release I will do it every time.

Anymore, nearly all of my game I purchase are used. Like i said I am in no way defending the pubs/devs, rather just giving reasons for the online passes. We buy used game because they are often such a good deal. The only problem is the used game market has become so popular that devs/pubs are losing out. The problem is they are starting to take notice of this market and want in on the action (via online passes). Although I do not like to pay extra money for anything, I can totally understand why they are doing this, which is the point I was trying to make.

In a seperate comparison, this whole arguement is very similar to downloading "free" music (except for the legality part of course). We were spoiled with programs like Napster for year, because we never had to pay for music. Then everybody got pissed at music companies for trying to shut them down, and we had to pay for music again. Yes it sucked that we couldnt download free music, but can you really blame the music companies for doing all the work and not getting to see any of the rewards. Gamestop is essentially doing the same thing, except is not illegal. As for the legal/illegal part, this is something that is being highly contested. It wouldn't suprise me if selling used games became illegal, just like selling used music is illegal.

Show me these better games you are speaking about please. The money earned is not meant to make better games, it is just meant to make money flat out. It is because they are getting greedy and lazy at the same time. They are getting to lazy to make a game that people want to keep, so they do this to make money off of people who rent/trade/buy used. If they were more confident in their game they would expect that people would just buy it. That is why call of duty dosnt need an online pass (dont call me a cod fanboy, it made bank and they knew it would). The only people who think this is a good idea are the executives that work at these studios so I dont know what the hell your talking about.

I have a younger brother with an xbox so when I buy a game with an online pass, he cant play it unless he buys one. This is bull shit because I paid full price for a game that I think I should be able to share with others and I cant.

It would be one thing if the xbox live service was free, or if the game was cheaper, or if the same pass could be used for multiple consoles as long as only one person was on the game at a given time, or if the game wasnt full of advertisments for every fucking company you can think of. The excessive advertisements in the game is anoying but at the same time it does make it more realistic. I am assuming that they were given payments for the advertisments in the game. Make better games using that money and quit trying to steal it from people.

It doesn't matter if they make a great game or not, haters are gonna hate and crappy people are gonna suck so games will be traded in anyway and they want to make money off it. Also gamestop usually has good sales/promos on trading in your games toward a new one, it saves a lot of people money, when they don't want to drop $60 on a brand new game. whenever they have great trade in sales it usually involves the newest titles or the most popular titles/best selling like COD. So for most people its an offer you can't pass up, you trade in Dead Space 2 and get $20-$40 depending on the sale and then gamestop sells it for $54.99 used. People complain about the online passes which ranges between $5 to $10. While they pay $60 for a game new, trade it in and get less than half for what they pay and gamestop then charges $5 less than retail price. GS is saying "Oh you played that brand new $60 game that came out a week ago, well in that case its only worth $20," Someone else comes in to buy the same game used "Oh that will be $54.99 please"

So who is really making the most money on people who buy used? Who are the real money hungry bastards?

Gamestop is still important to the game developers because it is one of the most popular places to get new games as well. Gamestop is able to offer all sorts of preorder insentives and reward points ect. These things boost sales of new games as and may even convince someone to buy the game rather than wait for it to be available as a used copy. I go there for all of my new and used games. I think rental services are worse for the game companies. I understand why they do it but we are spending more than enough money.

I knew the used game market would end up biting gamers in the ass, but I never thought any dev other than EA, who are notorious for pushing out the same 5 games every year with tiny changes and expecting people to pay it. I'm speaking of NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB and PGA, of course. I personally stopped buying the crap years ago and just get them from gamefly if I want to play them...now I don't get multiplayer anymore, fine, screw you EA, I'll play the single player for achievements and be done with it. I've been personally boycotting the purchase of EA sports games since madden 06 released on 360 and had the same graphics as the ps2 version for $60.

I'm very fortunate to be in a position that I can purchase any new game or console I want without even thinking about the cost, between my military disability and my wife's salary. I feel awful for people who are in high school or college and can't work because of their course load...one bad purchase at $60 is a huge deal, especially when we're all paying $50 a year, or more if you can't afford to buy time in bulk, for the Xbox live service - how does Microsoft let publishers get away with charging us a second time to play a game online if we choose to wait for a used copy for whatever reason - mixed reviews, not sure about a new IP (Yes THQ, I'm talking to you), don't have the cash on release day and see 20 used copies on the shelf at Gamestop a week later, whatever the reason, I feel we should get a complete game for our money, regardless of if we bought it new or used. If devs want people to preorder their games and buy new, there needs to be an incentive to do so. The preorder bonuses are sometimes decent, but I want to KNOW I'm spending my $60 on something that will provide me with entertainment that I consider worth $60 - I could go out to a fairly good restaurant with my wife for that. I could go to the movies with my wife 2-3 times, depending on if we do a weekend matinee, which we do often in order to enjoy a film without a theatre full of kids yelling and messing about, which tends to ruin the experience. Give us games that have some replay value and a campaign longer than 4-5 hours, give us multiplayer that's actually been tested for balance, latency, stability and replayability. If you want to charge an extra $5-$10 to ps3 players for mp, I think that's fair as playststion network is free. Having to pay a yearly fee and then another fee to play online if you choose to buy your games used for whatever reason is unfair and bad value for money...companies had better watch out and avoid getting a reputation like EA, or a lot of smaller developers are going to find out quickly that gamers won't stand for their crap and end up bankrupt.

The saddest part in my opinion is that the way things are going, soon we're going to see 2014's release list - cod 9, mass effect 6, assassins creed 7, battlefield 6 and a bunch of mediocre sports games with '14 or 2014 after the name. They'll bleed A-list titles to death (see guitar hero), but won't release many new ips because they aren't guaranteed to sell at least 500,000 copies on release day...and we gamers will be in quite a sorry and unsatisfied state because of it.

See now here's my problem I gflyed it glad I did, I spent 10 bucks for an online pass k cool now I played a few mp games had a hell of a lot of fun, Now here's where shit hits the fan, Servers crap out, not being able to play with friends, 10 bucks for an online pass between a 65 dollar game with a pass ok fine I can deal with that, 10 dollars for a pass that has an mp that works terrific, Now 10 dollars spent on an mp that is Willy Wonka and works on and off 10$ wasted!!!, I paid for a pass that suppose to have a product that works all the time not when it wants too........

I wholeheartedly disagree with you TC, and anyone who is against Battlecodes or online play passes.

GameStop makes MILLIONS upon millions of dollars on used game sales -- how much of that do you think the developers sees back? NONE OF IT.

You say that you were excited about Homefront but didn't have enough money to buy it, which is why you rented it. Well, you have access to the online portion of the game, correct? You can even experience a sample of the XP system and progression. If you rented the game, why do you deserve more than what they gave you? You didn't purchase the game like the rest of us did. A rental is a window of opportunity to play a game, the only thing that changed was the developer gave you a window of opportunity to play online.

Players who use GameFly have an unlimited amount of time to play the games they rent from that service and that is also a big reason behind this new trend towards online play passes, and rightfully so.

As gamers, we pay for the Xbox Live services, that's $60/year and considering everything Microsoft does with XBL, that is a fantastic deal. Paying for XBL does not give us carte blanch to everything developers of games offer because they are separate entities.

As for the "I'm paying for XBL, paying for the game, paying for online passes and paying for DLC" all I can say is welcome to the real world; businesses want to get paid for their efforts, and deservedly so. If you don't like the efforts or services provided by a company, then don't support them. If you think you overpay for XBL then buy a PS3, if you think you overpay for certain games, then stop buying games from that developer and don't purchase anymore of their DLC. If you don't want to buy an online pass, then buy the game new.

Everyone likes to claim that companies are nickel and diming us because their games are too expensive and their DLC is too expensive -- did you ever stop to think that over-whelming production costs and lost revenue from used sales has something to do with it? If you want companies to stop nickel and diming us, then I suggest that we stop nickel and diming companies by buying games used. If you are excited about a game or love a developer then WHY would you NOT support them? In a world where game devs are being swallowed up by larger companies or closing their doors on a weekly basis, don't you think it is OUR responsibility to support the companies we love? Well, buying used games from GameStop or Ebay does NOT support those companies.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that those of you who rented the game from Blockbuster or GameFly don't have full access to everything like I do, because you don't deserve it. If you bought the game used or rented it then you shouldn't be allowed to take up bandwidth on the servers that those of us who bought the game new support.

If you don't like it, then send the game back and move on, but stop pissing and moaning about not being able to play the game online if you didn't buy the game.

well i have 3 xbox's in my house mine and the kids we all like to go online so now i buy the game and instead of them playing online when im not ie: sharing it we now need to fork out for an additional 2 battle codes or online codes or whatever they are calling it, how fair is that? as a result i am fast thinking fuck em all.

I can't remember the last time I used one and a lot of them are only a couple of pages now.

Gamestop had one for $49.99 already. Everyone knows buying a newly released game used at gametsop is a total waste of money. I always check eBay and Craigslist. I picked up Fable 3 for $35 the week it was released.

I agree with DigitalFury 100%. I'm not going to say that I don't ever buy used games from gamestop, but I've pretty much stopped a couple of years ago when I finally thought about it for one second and realized that the devs get no profit on used game sales. To me, my money would be better spent supporting a dev, who in turn, can hopefully make a new game that I can play.

I think people are spoiled with gamefly, and that since they can hang on to the game as long as they want they figure that they are entitled to everything. I think people are forgetting that renting a game does not equal owning it. Renting a game is meant as a way to try out the game and then buy if you liked what you play, not playing the game till death until your are bored of it and will never play it again.

That is just my 2 cents on the subject matter.

I agree with DigitalFury 100%. I'm not going to say that I don't ever buy used games from gamestop, but I've pretty much stopped a couple of years ago when I finally thought about it for one second and realized that the devs get no profit on used game sales. To me, my money would be better spent supporting a dev, who in turn, can hopefully make a new game that I can play.

I think people are spoiled with gamefly, and that since they can hang on to the game as long as they want they figure that they are entitled to everything. I think people are forgetting that renting a game does not equal owning it. Renting a game is meant as a way to try out the game and then buy if you liked what you play, not playing the game till death until your are bored of it and will never play it again.

That is just my 2 cents on the subject matter.

Can't say I completely agree here, I rent games from Gamefly because A. I wanted to play them but they got shit reviews and I didn't want to waste the $60 for em. or B. I didn't think paying $60 for a game that lasts maybe 6 hours is worth it. If developers spent time working on their titles and making sure it was bug free, I'd have no problem paying for it. This is why you see the great games, COD, Halo, Killzone, Gears having a high volume in purchases and pre orders, while games like Jurassic, Avatar to name a few only have a rent value.

And under your method of thinking, you buy every movie you liked that you rented? I'd find that hard to believe.

I just think that charging and increased about of money is inflating product costs while it doesn't cost nearly as much to produce.