Thane's Loyalty Mission: 'Sins of the Father' Walkthrough (Possible Spoilers)

WOBBLY LEG MAN

Okay so I've seen a number of people say that they've had problems with this mission and that they don't get the achievement at the end of it. Here is a walkthrough/guide to how to complete the mission successfully and obtaining the achievement at the end of it. Be prepared for a lot of reading.

Thane's son Kolyat is somewhere on the Citadel and you need to find him.

OBJECTIVE 1: Investigate.

This is not a combat mission, so it doesn't matter what team mate you take along with you. Speak to Officer Bailey and he will helpfully dive into his files to look for any signs of drell on the ward. He tells you of a petty criminal named Mouse. Mouse is not the person who assigned the hit to Kolyat but he offers vital information. After talking with Bailey, head to level 28 of the ward. He will be standing near Rodam Expeditions. Mouse is surprised to see both you and Thane. When talking with Mouse, there is a Renegade interruption which forces Mouse to speak faster, if you miss it or you are wanting to stay Paragon then there is a charm right after it which gives you the same information. Mouse agrees to let slip a name: Elias Kelham.

Return to Bailey and tell him of Elias Kelham. Bailey and Kelham have an arrangement which gives Kelham space if he donates to C-Sec. Bailey agrees to have Elias brought in. As Elias is brought in, word comes that the crook's lawyer is on his way to C-Sec. You have to work fast to get the info you need about Kelyat.

You and Thane will be working the roles of good cop/bad cop. If you choose to be the bad cop, you will get a handful of Renegade interrupt opportunities to make him talk. If you chose to be good cop then you can use Paragon interrupts to offset Thane's ruthlessness. You don't have to take every interrupt but it will make the interrogation accelerate. Once the interrogation is over Elias will tell you that the target is Joram, a anti-human turian. Speak to Bailey about Joram and he will call a patrol car for you to get to 800 blocks where he is located.

OBJECTIVE 2: Tracking Joram.

Once you reach the 800 blocks, Thane comes up with a plan to protect Joram and track his son. While Thane finds dark corners to hide in, you must sneak through the catwalks above to give Thane constant updates on Joram's position. Keep Joram in your sights and report often so Thane can keep up. If you fail to report in and the turian disappears Thane loses his son forever and you will fail the mission.

Right at the start of the mission on the catwalks look to your right to find a hackable datapad for a Titan Pulsar upgrade. Watch Joram move through the ward, keeping an eye out for his Krogan bodyguard (he has red armor and will help if you lose sight of Joram).

Each time the turian moves, watch out for the prompt at the top of the screen to contact Thane. Update him by pressing A. If you don't update him then he begins to panic and you are in risk of failing. You must update him 4 times throughout the mission on the catwalks.

You will also encounter a human scout in a room in the catwalks. You can use a Renegade interrupt to knock him out and save time or talk to him which eats up time.

If you kept up and updated Thane, you will see Kolyat make his move on Joram. You call out, alerting Joram. Kolyat will shoot the bodyguard and chase after Joram. You will then cut to a scene in a room where Kolyat is about to shoot Joram. Bailey and C-Sec will come in right behind you.

To successfully complete the mission, you must end the standoff peacefully without any bloodshed to help Thane. There is a Paragon interrupt that makes you fire a shot right past Kolyat, distracting him, allowing you to move in and knock the gun out of his hand and Joram is told to leave. Once he's been disarmed, you will try to facilitate the reunion between Thane and Kolyat. Always go for the top choices when speaking. If done correctly, there will be a long talk between Thane and Kolyat about Thane leaving when his mother died to find the assassins that killed her. Bailey will intervene and tell C-Sec to take them back to the station and talk it out there. When the screen fades black, you will be back at C-Sec and Thane and Kolyat will come out of the Private Room. Thane tells you that he and his son will keep in touch. This will trigger the achievement and the mission will end.

IF YOU DID NOT GET THE ACHIEVEMENT, YOU EITHER DID NOT DO THE INTERRUPTION AND KEEP THE PEACE OR CHOOSE RENEGADE OPTIONS WHICH WON'T LEAD TO THE LONG CHAT WITH THANE AND KOLYAT. TO GET THE ACHIEVEMENT, YOU WOULD HAVE TO REDO THE ENTIRE MISSION OR RELOAD FROM A PREVIOUS SAVE DURING THE MISSION.

I hope this wasn't too much of a drag to read through, I just wanted to make it clear on what you have to do to get the achievement, if you are STILL having problems then you either have a bug or you did not follow the steps correctly. Hope this helps :)

Edited by WOBBLY LEG MAN

Here's what I did

- Did the bad cop routine and used the renegade options until I got told to back off abit. Please note a renegade option will pop up after this, ignore it. Then I used the paragon speech option to 'make a deal'

- Then I just continued the mission, followed the target, and when you get to the cut scene where Kolyat is threatening to shoot the guy, a paragon option poped up, so I pressed that

Thats all I did and I got it easy :)

Here's what I did

- Did the bad cop routine and used the renegade options until I got told to back off abit. Please note a renegade option will pop up after this, ignore it. Then I used the paragon speech option to 'make a deal'

- Then I just continued the mission, followed the target, and when you get to the cut scene where Kolyat is threatening to shoot the guy, a paragon option poped up, so I pressed that

Thats all I did and I got it easy :)

Can't get any simplier than that. I don't see how people have so much trouble with getting loyalty and all these other things done in ME2. Paragon is your best friend on this game and if you are doing renegade then stop asking so many questions as to why doesn't anyone want to go with me. Play all paragon on your second play through and you will get everyone's loyalty. I beat the game twice and every time I had everyone loyal.

• 1 year later...