Game Info

L3giOn

Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights (HIN) evolves the current street racing scene, letting players experience the culture of the real-life HIN tour, the nation's largest lifestyle custom car show in an intense racing experience. Featuring track and drift racing at real-world locations around the globe, next-gen AI and unparalleled vehicle customization, Juiced 2: HIN brings street racing to life, allowing players to test their skills at live street racing events against a back-drop of DJs, models and musicians. Groundbreaking new features include addictive drift/powersliding races and "Driver DNA" that tracks gamers' personal driving traits. These profiles, along with the profiles of select celebrities will be available for download across all online gaming systems. Racing developer Juice Games has evolved the game-play that revolutionized online racing, giving players the power to create their car, assemble their crew and put it all on the line in intense pink slip and crew races. Gamers will also be able to bet cash on each event, bringing a gambling element to the game that greatly increases the importance of each race.

Features

• Real-Life HIN Racing Experience - Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights combines an intense, addictive racing experience with the culture of the real-life HIN tour, the nation's largest lifestyle custom car show
  • Drift/powersliding races – Perfect your skills in multi-car drifting races
  • Driver DNA – Tracks each individual player's driving habits, creating a profile that can be downloaded off all online gaming services
  • Celebrity Driver DNA – Download celebrity DNA and test your star power skills
  • In-game gambling – Watch and bet on live races with up to 1000 others
  • Unmatched Customization – Be who you want to be – With 90 digitally scanned cars and over 250 aftermarket mods and numerous combinations of character features, players can treat themselves to the ultimate car and driver customization
  • Online Pink Slip and Crew Racing – Tap into your inner risk-taker by challenging other players for their cars and putting yours on the line. Dominate the rest of the competition by racing online with friends you hand-pick for your crew.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some more info announed today on this game here we go:

Quote:

The game has been in development for around eighteen months, and the version I saw (360) looked almost complete. The lead platform is Xbox 360, but it's also coming to nearly every other platform on the market - Juice Games (the studio behind it) is aiming wide with this one. While the first game sold relatively well, Nick admitted that there were some major issues with it. The most pressing of these was the game's difficulty, so this time they're aiming for a much more forgiving experience. "The idea is to try and make you feel like a good driver. Sega Rally is the kind of game we look to. There's no way that's realistic, but boy do you have fun playing it."

The game is modelled loosely on the Hot Import Nights (HIN) events, the licensed partner for the game. These shows travel around the States, showing off the finest modified cars in the world, alongside thumping DJs and scantily-clad models. In the real world they can't shut down each city to take over the roads for a spot of street racing. It's an obstacle the game doesn't face.

My car runs on nothing but hopes and dreams. And the blood of virgins.

Playing Juiced 2 will see the HIN event travel to around eight major global destinations. The streets of Paris, Sydney, Tokyo and London are just some of the petrol playgrounds on offer. The interface reflects the party atmosphere of the events, as do the tracks, with sections filled with laser lights and giant strobes, timed to complement the bass-heavy soundtrack.

Before I began my hot-laps, Nick briefly explained one of the game's most interesting features - driver DNA. Think of the Drivatar feature from Forza, but bring it online. When a player takes the controls, the game meticulously measures a wide variety of driving behaviour. If you're the kind of driver who brakes late and hopes for the best, your DNA will reflect it. Conversely, if you follow the lines with the precision of a surgeon, your DNA will show that, too. You can then go online and download the DNAs of rival drivers, and populate your races with them. Know you've got a match with the world's best coming up in a week? Why not download his DNA to get some practice in beforehand? People's DNA will change as they play the game more, so it's continually updated. There's even celebrity DNA. The developers sent out questionnaires to these celebrities, watched their real world driving styles and captured some data from hands-on sessions to build the cybernetic versions of the celebs. It's a very interesting take on AI, so we're keen to see if it can really capture the feel of playing against other humans.

Get your motor running, get out on the highway, looking for adventure, etc.

Next on the demonstration timetable was a very brief look at the car customisation garage. It's quite a comprehensive system, not as deep as some of the more hardcore racers out there, but with plenty of after-market bits and pieces to strap to the car. "We've got 250 parts manufacturers in the game," claimed Nick, "each supplying multiple components." The cars are all real world as well and, in keeping with the game's grassroots appeal, cover a broad range of vehicles. "We're trying to present a game with cars that are out there. The cars that you play in Juiced, like the Toyota Sprinter, that's the sort of car that you'll see out in the street. The sort of car that you could actually go and buy."

It's here that Nick sees the main difference between Juiced and that other street racing game. "We're not about the Hollywood style of street racing - we're more real world, more accessible." Those who prefer to tinker in the garage than race will be able to sell their creations online, be it full cars or just a certain paint design. And every car sold has its own unique log book, showing who owned it and what was done to it. Cars that perform well will get higher reputation values, leading to a higher purchasing price in the game's online auction system.

Once our Holden Monaro had been given a vomit-worthy lime-green paint job, not to mention some fully sick rims and racing kit, it was time to hit the track. But not before we placed our bets on the outcome of the race. That's right kiddies, not only does Juiced 2 encourage you to drive at speeds commonly associated with death, it'll also teach you how to gamble.

Like the first game, it's possible to place a bet on yourself, or your rivals, in a race. But where the system has evolved, and is sounding exponentially cooler, is in online betting. For every multiplayer race, there can be thousands of spectators. All placing bets, right up until the last lap - odds change on the fly. For every penny spent, a certain amount of credits are given to these punters. They can then spend these on their favourite, giving them a small top up of nitro as well as some moral-boosting cheering sounds. Those with a nastier streak can spend their credits on somebody they don't like, who will hear the crowd booing, while at the same time a small amount of nitro is removed. Even though it raises some interesting balancing questions, there's no doubting that this will be a cool feature, and will add some immense pressure to those being betted upon. And yes, making a comeback is the ability to race for cars, something only the cockiest of drivers should try. PS3 owners needn't fret that these extensive online options will only be available to online owners, reassured Nick. "So far, so good - we haven't encountered any issues doing what we can do on Live with the PlayStation network."

Where the hell are the rain-slicked streets? I thought this was an urban street racer?

It was finally time to race, and I chose to start with one of the two main modes, Circuit Racing. Drifting is the other major mode, but there's plenty of variety. "They're the only two, however there are variations on both of those things, for instance on the Circuit mode there are things like Eliminator, where the last player each lap is eliminated." As the race began, I made the foolish mistake of heading for an in-car view. As I tried to flex my Forza 2 skills (ahhh the joys of preview code), I continually bounced from wall to wall, eventually ending last in the race. Sensing I was on the verge of tears, Nick explained why my simulator skills were useless here. "Real world, real driving models - straight away we want nothing to do with them." Later in the day, when I - shudder - drove from an exterior view, the race went much more smoothly. The controls are very arcadey, possibly even more so than that other car racing game. It's supposed to make the game easier to pick up and play, but it felt a little bit too snappy and rigid to me, almost like driving an r/c car rather than a real vehicle.

Once I'd had my fill of being flogged in the Circuit Racing, it was on to the Drift mode. Like that other racing game, it uses a very different handling model, but in this case, it's a much nicer, more visceral one. It's like driving a block of butter over a track covered in vegetable oil. It took about ten minutes to get comfortable with the handling, and I was stringing together combo drifts in no time. The drifting seems to be the more satisfying of the two driving modes - here's hoping the circuit handling gets relaxed, allowing for sloppier, smokier turns.

Angled camera = appealing to the wild and crazy youth market.

We saw the 360 version of the game and were very impressed. It's got the glossy, shiny cars expected for this genre, all whipping about the place like the CGI scenes in The Fast and The Furious, while the track-sides are littered with detail. Pop-up was a little bit of an issue, but it's still early days. We can't comment on the engine sound yet, as the current placeholders are obviously recordings of garden equipment. Nick was quick to reassure us that these are just in place for testing, and that real engine samples will be used in the final game.

Link: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/786/786298p1.html

Enjoy. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...