Epic Victory over the Forgotten One

I know some people who struggle with this guy so much on Paladin that they gave up! Is he really that difficult? Ive read on other forums hardest boss in a game ever!? Do you agree? If not who is the hardest boss you fought in a game?

Lets turn this thread into a little test to see how people are coping with this boss.

Sign below if you've achieved an Epic Victory over The Forgotten One.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If some ppl are struggling here's a guide I did a while back ...

Ive jus beat the f**ker on Paladin difficulty and thought id share my tactics. Firstly let me just say how surprised i was at how easily i beat him on Paladin, i had way more of a difficult time beating him on Warrior (Normal).

Ok so firstly

Prepare Yourself

Make sure you start the level with full health and full light and dark magic. To get this quickly i suggest heading to Chapter V Part Two: Wygol Village, set the difficulty to Squire. This very short level has a magic altar hidden behind a wall you can access while fighting the Ghouls. Once you've killed the ghouls be sure to smash all the headstones to stock up on items and change the difficulty back to Paladin. Near the end of the level is a health alter ... seriously this level can be done quicker than it took me to type this paragraph.

The Fight

If you're reading this then you already know how much of a pain the forgotten one is to fight and in his last form he is fast as hell. When the fight starts jus use whatever tactic you used in the previous fight, the only thing i will say is SAVE YOUR DARK MAGIC! You will need it all for his last form. If you take damage switch to your light magic when attacking, you want at LEAST 75% health going into his final form.

When you trigger the scene that smashes his helmet this guy changes completely! Unfortunately he does lots of damage while you do very little and this results in you slowly hen pecking him to death, as i mentioned earlier he is fast as hell, this fight requires quick fingers and lots of patience. So after the cut scene while he screams quickly sprint directly toward him, double jump while in mid air and hit :rbbut: to activate dark magic, then quickly press and hold :xbut:. this is Gabriel's Guillotine attack and its fast but more importantly it deals quick damage and gets you back on the floor fast enough for you to avoid his incoming area attack, quickly use :ltbut: to roll away (always roll DO NOT try to sprint, i found sometimes it wouldnt register and he'd end up jus jogging normally and taking damage, also dont forget to deactivate dark magic after each attack). The best advice i can give is simply stay at a medium range from this guy, dont be fooled into attacking him during most of his moves as he will quickly counter. When he uses his ball and chain move try to quickly sprint directly (face on) toward him, double jump activate dark magic (:rbbut:) and use Gabriel's Guillotine attack (hold :xbut: whilst air born) then quickly roll away. The only other move is where he summons the swords above his head. This i found the best time to deal the most damage, quickly sprint toward him and jump (not double jump as he's crouching) activate dark magic and jus hit the :xbut: button around 4 or 5 times depending on how soon you reached him, immediately after hold :ltbut: and press :abut: this is Gabriel's Stomp move which will make you hit the ground faster after the attack and then quickly roll out. Simply repeat this process until he's dead, i find if you stay at a medium range he is more likely to do these moves which means you get to kill him quicker. Also be careful when he charges at you, i found that a lot of the time he charged so fast that the camera wouldnt spin round quick enough and id suddenly have a rock on my head coz he would execute his next move so quickly i literally couldnt see it.

Anyway give it a go and let me know if this helps, jus remember to be patient and dodge all other attacks. Good Luck to anyone stuck on him!

Edited by Blazman83

• 3 weeks later...

not epic so much but heres my quick story. somehow i lost all my save data for every game on my HDD. i still dont know what i did to lose it all. due to the fact i lost my save data i had to replay the whole game going for the gems and upgrades so i would have a fighting chance to beat the forgotten one. well i had beat all the levels and was going through chapter 14 on easy to start and beat the first level on easy and went onto the final fight of the forgotten one. on easy i was amazed at how difficult he seemed. i was not looking forward to this fight on paladin. after i beat him i went on and did the trials on both levels on easy to get them out of the way. this took place last friday afternoon. i couldnt play friday night so i decided to get up early saturday morning and give the paladin run a go.

i woke up around 7:45am and got a drink and started playing. i went ahead and started on the final fight on paladin since people were having so much trouble. i loaded up the level and ran past the red skeleton and began the fight. around 8:15am. to make this much quick ill get to the end. i beat him by about 8:45am. luckily you get checkpoints after each quick time event. i think i reloaded last checkpoint about 5 times. i think i did so well cause i had so much pratice replaying the game just before this. im sure other people hadnt played since revrie so they might of been rusty. after i beat the second part of chapter 14 i went back and did the prison which was cake.

my tips would be to just be calm and play cat and mouse with him. keep a lot of distance and only go for the attack when your know your safe. save all your shadow magic for the final part and it will go more smooth. hes not terribly tough on paladin.

• 5 weeks later...

I had to fight his final form with no Light Magic and 1 hit away from death. Had full Dark Magic though. The sweeping arc he makes with his sword nails me every time. -_- However, when he strikes with 2 swords is the bread and butter. jump (not double jump), dark, hit X 4-5 times, LT+A, roll away. Only problem is if he decides to do the sweeping motion, you're toast. (That's 2 bread comments I've made in this post o.O) So then it becomes a game of patience and luck.

But it's done. Finally.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just beat the forgotten one on Paladin with one hit and no magic.

Trick is to learn his attacks, once you know them it's then just a case of getting him to do his long range attacks, then rush towards him. All his long range attacks don't inflict damage at close range, so you got plenty of times to get hits on him as the attack animation is going on. Just remember to get out of close range once he's finished attacking as he well counter attack.

Killing all the bloody skeletons on paladin is hard than this boss fight.

• 1 month later...

Trick is to learn his attacks, once you know them it's then just a case of getting him to do his long range attacks, then rush towards him. All his long range attacks don't inflict damage at close range, so you got plenty of times to get hits on him as the attack animation is going on. Just remember to get out of close range once he's finished attacking as he well counter attack.

Agreed. I stopped playing the DLC part way through from frustration months ago, decided to pick it up and finish the game once and for all. Plowed through more than I could before and after a bit I finally got the rhythm down. I really love the combat in this game, other than some of the cheap hits you really feel badass when you win on Paladin.

Just defeat The Forgotten One minutes ago on Paladin.

Do you really found it so difficult or frustrating?

Because I think that's not an easy boss fight but far away from a frustrating battle. I beat it on my six try in the last part when he goes mad and speed up his attacks.

I really enjoy the fight with The Forgotten One, it's one of my favorite boss battle in the game.

Sad that it is released as a DLC, everybody who enjoy the game have to try this and not only who pay for it.

• 1 month later...

Yes! Finally got it after a couple of tries! So happy to finally 100% this game! WOHOO! I found that a nice strategy is to keep a couple of meters distance from him, medium-range. Just enough distance to evade (without having to roll out of the way) when he swings his sword at you, but close enough so that you can just run up to him (without sprinting) when he gets out his two swords and hit the ground with them. I ran up to him, activated Shadow Magic, jumped once and just tapped X 5-7 times, and as soon as he is done with his animation and is standing up to do his poundthing (he always does that when you are close to him) I hit LT and A to smash to the ground and then somersault away with the left stick (while still holding LT). Then it's just a matter of running around him in a circle to your left. He swings -> you evade automatically -> he does his two-sword things (or about to) -> run up, jump smash him -> pound down, somersault away -> run around him again -> rinse and repeat :).

Mind you, I did this in his final stage (when I broke of half his facemask) but it also applies to the rest of his stages (since he uses the exact same pattern and attacks when you are at medium-range from him).

If you have any questions I will answer them. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just did this today. Took maybe an hour at most, and that's a guess since I wasn't paying attention, but I started sometime shortly before my girlfriend left work, took 25 minutes to get to my house, and I was on the final part when she got there.

Honestly, this message board had me DREADING doing this on Paladin, and I feel like it wasn't really that hard at all. And I haven't played the game in a year and I'm pretty bad.

I literally just dodged and attacked when he was stationary and ran away a lot. The first fight (14-1) was not really tough at all, and the 2nd one (14-2) was hard, but not "the hardest thing I've ever done" which is what I was prepared for.

All this "harder than Satan!" nonsense is blown out of proportion. That or I am a lot better than I give myself credit for.

Most of my deaths were due to myself being retarded. I would run straight into attacks because I ignored obvious cues as to what he was doing or I got too close and kept attacking for too long instead of dodging/leaving when I should have.

Having said that, I thought the fights were loads of fun and I am super glad I have the achievements to show I did it, since it's such a struggle for most (on PlayFire, it seems like nobody did this, since they are now my rarest achievements there).

Also feels good to finally have 100% again (or 110%, I suppose).

• 2 weeks later...
Just did this today. Took maybe an hour at most, and that's a guess since I wasn't paying attention, but I started sometime shortly before my girlfriend left work, took 25 minutes to get to my house, and I was on the final part when she got there.

Honestly, this message board had me DREADING doing this on Paladin, and I feel like it wasn't really that hard at all. And I haven't played the game in a year and I'm pretty bad.

I literally just dodged and attacked when he was stationary and ran away a lot. The first fight (14-1) was not really tough at all, and the 2nd one (14-2) was hard, but not "the hardest thing I've ever done" which is what I was prepared for.

All this "harder than Satan!" nonsense is blown out of proportion. That or I am a lot better than I give myself credit for.

Most of my deaths were due to myself being retarded. I would run straight into attacks because I ignored obvious cues as to what he was doing or I got too close and kept attacking for too long instead of dodging/leaving when I should have.

Having said that, I thought the fights were loads of fun and I am super glad I have the achievements to show I did it, since it's such a struggle for most (on PlayFire, it seems like nobody did this, since they are now my rarest achievements there).

Also feels good to finally have 100% again (or 110%, I suppose).

Totally agree.

Don't be scared and unleash your claws!

I finished it this morning and I upon the last blow, when you know this is the last cinematic and that it's finally over I was dancing (on my chair) and yelling f**k youf**k youf**k youf**k youf**k youf**k youf**k youf**k you like crazy. I swear I would have strangled the devs for using every possible broken thing about the gameplay to punish the player. When I got to the javelin aiming moment (that I obviously failed countless times) I thought they should also have the screen flicker, invert the command inputs at random or go full black-out to make everything just a notch more impossible, why not?

What I find broken is, like in most games, the fact that the controls make it hard to translate your thoughts into action. I want stupid Gab to stop whipping and stay up in the air like a f***in fairy while the giant big turd is about to slice me in half, dammit. After what seemed an infinite amount of reloads, knowing all the boss' techniques but still being unable to survive till the next checkpoint... I'm nervously exhausted so yeah, maybe instead of pushing 3 times in the air I pushed 4.. enough to have me killed. Add camera problems, double-taps not working (or fingers..?), the whipping fairy effect and the boss' moves speed and the general fight duration... And the frustration of being moments away from the long-desired and seemingly unattainable cheev?

The fight itself is not hard, it's all about learning patterns. But too many things got between me, the fight and my fun. Even on easy, when I cleared the trial and was relieved to see that I could actually whip my turd with one hand in the back I got stuck 4 or 5 times at the javelin thing.

IMO they crossed the line between challenge and frustration, and even though I praise them for all the good they brought to one of my most beloved franchises, I'll be waiting to see if they add sthg that much ball-breaking again in LOS2 before playing. Really.

• 2 weeks later...

You can just run past them.....

I ended up on a check point with no magic and where one hit would kill me and I spent an hour trying to beat him from that, gave up came back with full health and magic and beat him no problem.

• 1 month later...

I hadn't played this game in a long time, so when I finally went back to it this weekend, I forgot how to play it. Finished the first DLC ok, but the second one I had trouble with. By the time I got to The Forgotten my health was low to the point where I would die in 1 or two hits, and my light magic was gone.

What I did was I would dodge his attacks and attack him by holding down the X button. It made the focus gauge fill up quick. I would then try to collect some orbs for my light magic but it seemed like every time I did that and regained health, I got hit, so I was back to where I started.

It must have taken me over 100 tries to beat this guy. He was tough but dying in 1 hit like I was made it worse. Thank god for those checkpoints.

• 1 month later...

I beat him back in May. I'd been putting off playing Resurrection for ages, since I'd heard so many people complaining about how tough The Forgotten One was.

Ultimately, I didn't find him too tough, even on Paladin. It's just a matter of patience and learning his attacks. It took me a few tries on Crusader, but I managed to beat him on my first attempt on Paladin!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...