Ultimate Edition (game of the year). Worth it.

Sizzy

So, having bought this when it first came out, I never got any of the DLCs for it. Since they were expensive. I did the same for fallout 3, and then just bought them separately when they dropped at a used game store.

I have to say, I don't mind owning two copies of this game, because the DLCs were totally worth 20 dollars for the goty edition.

Honest Hearts has been the least fun DLC so far, mainly because you are pressed for inventory, even with 340 carry weight. The areas seem phoned in as well. Also, there is one vendor who has 300 bottle caps. When all you get are guns worth 2-5k. Which means you won't be picking up 90% of the items you see to make money. Which is needed now it seems since GRA weapons are so expensive. I also feel like Daniel was a huge baby and even though he did so much, and the tribes did so much good as well, he just couldn't get over them not living exactly how he wanted them too. As if any place in the wasteland would be better and leave them without hardship. I chose to fight and spare.

Dead Money was pretty fun, and it was the first one I did so it was a new experience to start off the DLC in one of my favorite games. I enjoyed most of it, it really got better once you get near the end. I dislike that you can't keep the followers you get there. Only one of them really has their own storyline. And she is probably my favorite one. Had I known about the gold bars, I would have went into the final area naked.

Old World Blues has been my favorite so far. So much to explore, so many named mobs, so many unique weapons. I loved it. Plus, it had a decent amount of humor, which Fallout has been lacking for a while. The only downside is every time you want to drop off a bunch of stuff here into your new house, you lose your companion.

Gun Runner's Arsenal. As I don't like the achievements, they are do-able. A few require quite a bit of story progress though it seems. The thing I really love about this is the new weapons. So many neat looking and effective weapons. It makes me sad that I am trying to rush through the on easy instead of very hard as usual, since this is my 4th character. This DLC made me re-think Unarmed and Melee, since the guns are so neat. It really makes me remember what I loved about my first character years ago, and as well as fallout 3 many many years ago. Neat guns, and on this game you can customize them a bit to make them a little better, scopes etc. It makes me remember sniping legion from max distance with the unique sniper rifle.

I'll probably do Lonesome Road tonight. I doubt it will be any better than Honest Hearts, but it was the final DLC, so it may be quite extensive like Old World Blues.

And of course, last but not least, 20 extra levels (5 with each area DLC). Giving you 10 extra level up perks and 300+ extra skill points. Which really makes the game more interesting. RPG element games really get less fun for me when there is no more character building to be done. Fallout, Elder scrolls, and Borderlands are the exceptions for me it seems, but many just lose a lot of my interest when that occurs.

Edited by Sizzy

OP is correct, the Ultimate Edition is totally worth it, especially since it costs half the amount of just buying all the DLC separately. I also recommend.

You post on everything I do :o. And yeah, DLC prices rarely drop in price, so there really is no better time if you want to check them out finally.

I do find it odd having a game being sold on games on demand, and the DLC being twice the amount you pay for it. I assume since they can drop the price like that, they could also drop the DLC prices too without any legal issues or whatever it may be. Maybe they just want to squeeze people a little since there is no other way to get that content. I just find it odd, nothing more, nothing less.

You post on everything I do :o. And yeah, DLC prices rarely drop in price, so there really is no better time if you want to check them out finally.

Haha, I post everywhere. I have a problem :francis:

Anyway, yeah, I wish the DLC would drop in price, but they really have no reason to do so (sadly).

I'll probably do Lonesome Road tonight. I doubt it will be any better than Honest Hearts, but it was the final DLC, so it may be quite extensive like Old World Blues.

Lonesome Road is "omg" fantastic. Enjoy.

There's so much story going on in that DLC that it might be hard to wrap one's head around, but it's amazing.

There's so much story going on in that DLC that it might be hard to wrap one's head around, but it's amazing.

Well that's good to hear. I'll get to it tonight, and probably finish it tomorrow, or the day after. I may actually play through the non DLC as well doing as much as I can, since I am actually enjoying the game and the new weapons.

I may have to bump difficulty up and redo my build though.

My favorite looking gun right now is the Lil Devil.

Well that's good to hear. I'll get to it tonight, and probably finish it tomorrow, or the day after. I may actually play through the non DLC as well doing as much as I can, since I am actually enjoying the game and the new weapons.

I may have to bump difficulty up and redo my build though.

My favorite looking gun right now is the Lil Devil.

Lil' Devil is fantastic! Let us know how you like the DLC :)

Since this is an obvious spoiler thread, hopefully obvious =/.

I've never been much for story and I finished it earlier today. It covers something YOU never actually did, so that takes a bit out of the story for me. And I feel like it wasn't the courier's fault, because someone else would have been hired to carry it anyway.

The content was fun, although extremely linear. It had a lot of places, and its by far the easiest place to actually farm for money. And it even has a borderlands type boss arena (joking, but Rawr reminded me of that).

I had fun with it, except for the deathclaws. They know you're there as soon as you enter a map, and one area has several of them coming at you at once. At least I had picked up an AMR from one of the bodies.

I chose to nuke the legion to get the new area. And I have always hated the legion. Going to check that out later. Although shortly after my reputation reset itself for some reason. I think it may have to do with that or Dry Wells. Or some other bug I don't know about, because there are quite a bit.

I finished all the achievements for this ultimate edition, it took 40 hours though. It was fun to go back to a game I loved.

Edited by Sizzy

As someone who played the game when it first came out, I had a lot of fun with buying the ultimate edition around a year ago and playing with the level caps increased and access to DLC goodies and Gun Runner's Arsenal from the very beginning.

• 1 month later...

I agree, I bought the Ultimate Edition having never played the game before and it was well worth it. I never had any problems in terms of game-breaking glitches (the worst I had was a few freezes on the Hoover Dam quest), though I seem to be really lucky when it comes to experiencing bugs in Bethesda games for some reason.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend this, like other have said it's far cheaper to buy this then to just buy all the DLC seperately as it hasn't dropped in price AFAIK.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's absolutely worth it, this and the GOTY edition of FO3. I still remember how annoying it was to find out you have to connect to XL to play the DLC in FO3 if you purchase them separately especially when I got my 1st X360 banned.