No Online = Huge Disappointment

Lethal J

Still both are fucking unbelievable single player games, and not having online doesn't take away from either.

It does really. It's a game brought to you on Xbox live's digital distribution, you download it from you're internet connection, and it doesn't have online play? Thats ridiculous. Especially since it's an added feature.

The remake is really just a marketing tool for the new Bionic Commando thats coming out. It seems like they just sloped the re-make together. The demo of it at least. I mean the demo is only about 30 seconds long. As well only 2 challenge rooms that are more like a chore then fun.I was going to buy it but after the demo didn't show me much, no co-op, and how annoying it was for me to use the crane. It didn't seem worth it. I also wished it at least had the NES version in it too.

Edited by Zee

It's a game brought to you on Xbox live's digital distribution, you download it from you're internet connection, and it doesn't have online play? Thats ridiculous. Especially since it's an added feature.

I mean the demo is only about 30 seconds long. no co-op

Every single game on the Wii's virtual console is purchased online, and as far as I know, zero of them have online play. Would you really expect to buy arcade games for live in a store? Its more about convenience than the idea that "Hey, everythings online!". Some games shouldn't have online co-op. First thing that comes to mind, Coffeetime Crosswords. Whyyy should I play 30 crosswords with someone across the country, when I really just wanna do em myself, or with someone else in the room.

The game has split screen co-op. It's a dying feature in today's gaming culture, cause someone seems to think we never have friends over anymore, and we only meet online from our bedrooms and basements.

Ridiculous.

Because you buy it over Live. Therefore, it's on Live. No online isn't a big deal for what was a single player experience. The multiplayer aspect is really tacked on in my opinion (not bots), although the co-op could be good.

Right on with that. Just because you purchase it on live doesn't necessarily mean you can only play co op on live. I find it a lil ridiculous that most games now a days only have a co op mode on live and it gets a little irritating when you have friends over and you can't play it. Besides this game is truly a single player game and I'm glad I purchased it because I remember spending countless hours and days wasted on this game when I was 8....and it seems it's gonna happen again. Tho it's still bad ass

They have been really honest and in interviews and their excellent podcast have always said that the co-op is offline only. The co-op came about when one of the developers just tossed a second player character in to see how it would play. People liked it so they kept it. This happened late in the development cycle and up until this point they had not been developing the game with any net code. Maybe you shouldn't blame the developers for your mistake of not researching what you are purchasing?

y'know, it says right on XBLM "Single Player, Local Multiplayer 1-4". If you bought it and you're surprised that there's no online co-op, you oughta read a bit before you go spending money.

But yeah. I'm a little sad there's no online co-op. Same for geometry wars 2.

I had the same intentions when purchasing the game.

After seeing the trailer 6 times the singleplayer looked just too badass for me not to buy.

I have played Co-op with my brother, and it's not any easier, or maybe I am just not good.

Also, looking at the beginning of the game guess what it says.

"Online Interactions Not Rated by ESRP."

Only thing online about this game is the leaderboards.

Every single game on the Wii's virtual console is purchased online, and as far as I know, zero of them have online play. Would you really expect to buy arcade games for live in a store? Its more about convenience than the idea that "Hey, everythings online!". Some games shouldn't have online co-op. First thing that comes to mind, Coffeetime Crosswords. Whyyy should I play 30 crosswords with someone across the country, when I really just wanna do em myself, or with someone else in the room.

The game has split screen co-op. It's a dying feature in today's gaming culture, cause someone seems to think we never have friends over anymore, and we only meet online from our bedrooms and basements.

Ridiculous.

1. Did you ever hear of midway arcade classics, 100 atari classics in 1 etc... There also re-made versions of arcade games in some of those. Sure it's more convenient to buy them online, but they added leader board support, meaning there has to be some sort of network code in there.

2. I didn't say all games on digital distribution should have online play? What I did mean is if you re-make a classic for Xbox live arcade, and add a feature like co-op, theres not much reason for it not to be online.

3. Did anyone ever say there should only be online? All we said is we are disappointed that theres none online. When I said co-op, I meant online co-op. I thought that would be common sense. Since I already stated in my post that there was co-op.

4. Sure many games don't have split screen anymore. That doesn't mean thay have to chose over one or the other.

5. Writing that took longer then I thought it would....... :(

Anyway what is with the demo being so short? Theres barly any content in it. That was one of the main deciding factor of me not getting it.

Edited by Zee

While I agree having no online doesn't take away from the Bionic Commando experience ( For me at least. ) Having online play would have been an excellent feature trust me it wasn't just a select few people who assumed it had online play it just seems logical to add it. Offline co-op is nice, but my friends would rather play gears and COD4 when they come over. In this day and age online play should be a standard for every game with any type of Co-op or head to head mode. So yes I agree it doesn't take away from the experience but hey, it could have been better.

I'm happy there's ANY multiplayer.

Director of Bionic Command Rearmed said this:

This subject has been brough up many a times, and it's understandable that people want online support because it's an awesome feature. It is a feature that one could expect, but hardly one that you could demand - at least not from a $10 downloadable title which is a remake of a game that was completely single player based.

This bar represents development, testing and optimization/bug correction time for offline MP:

This bar represents development, testing and optmimization/bug correction time for online MP:

******************************************************************************************

Even if you've already implemented offline MP it's not like it's a walk in the park to make it work online, trust me. It is a world of difference when it comes to bug tracking and optimization.

MP was added mid-development and at that point there was no time to add online support. Even if online MP would have been planned from the beginning it would have a mean impact on the project's budget and schedule - it'd take at least 150% of the time and/or personnel to make it work, and this was not feasible.

It stood between having offline MP, or no MP at all. Sadly, it seems that some people (I'm not pointing my finger at anyone in particular) give the game flack for not having online support just because the fact that there is offline MP reminds people that MP can be online too and then they want that.

If there'd be no offline MP, no one would miss online MP - makes you wonder if the game would maybe be better off if it didn't give gamers a finger as it makes them want the whole hand, if you know what I mean.

This project pretty much started off as a PR idea to raise the awareness of the BC brand in general, and from the beginning it wasn't supposed to have co-op, competitive MP or even the top-down stages, but it grew into the product you see today by the love and passion from everyone involved in the development process.

Edited by bugmenot

Doesn't bother me in the least that it doesn't support online co op. Even if it did I'd never use it anyway. The game is meant to be played single player anyway... To say it's a total waste of money simply because it doesn't have online co op and you made a mistake is just plain stupid. It's a very fun game and one of the better made games they offer on xbla. online co op or not...