Stuck on Yet Another Stupid/Frustrating Part...

Mister Buds

at the end of act 4 chapter 2. i'm riding an elevator and a bunch of green, mutant bugs keep climbing up and suicide bombing themselves on the gears. apparently i'm supposed to kill them all but i'm finding it impossible as 4-6 come up each time and on two sides. and when i have to reload, forget about it, all of them make it up. i looked up a couple videos to help me, but they must be playing on easy difficulty because the bugs move 2 or 3 times as fast in my game.

I was stuck there for a few minutes as well, here's what I did.

1. Run to the elevator and get your teammates on it.
  2. Run back to the minigun and grab it.
  3. Turn around and hit the switch pronto.
  4. Spray and pray with that minigun and you can get about half-way on the elevator with it.
  5. Spray with PMC for the rest of the way, or aim if you're better at aiming.
  6. That should do it.

Good luck! Also there's one room near the end that's a pain, so post in here again if you get stuck there. You'll know what room it is because there's a ton of guys and minibosses at once. There's nothing hard after that though.

I was stuck there as well on my V.Hard playthrough. What worked for me (first try no less) was to first hit the pod and upgrade the alt-fire for the Boneduster to 6 and fill them. Proceed the same way that Nevander suggested until the end.

-Charge your Boneduster

-Grab Mini-gun

-Sprint to switch and hit it

-Stay tight to the switch and spray 'til the mini is almost empty (don't wait 'til the "it's empty" animation)

-Switch to PMC and hip fire for as long as you can manage.

-When they start to overwhelm you switch to the Boneduster with the charged shot wait until the pack is almost to the gears and fire. Just keep firing charged rounds 'til you reach the top.

The charged round for the Boneduster is the shock wave that disintegrates everything downrange, even behind cover, so you can take out a pack of 6-9 of them in one shot if you time it right.

I used the flailgun and got it my third try. Screw the turret, that thing moves to slow. That's why I kept screwing up.

Anyway, use the flail, aim it all the way up, where the gears you're protecting are. Then unzoom, and watch it. Just as the highest bug up gets close to it, detonate it (don't wait until he's next to it, cause you'll miss him.)

Easy peasy.

I found this a pain in the ass on Very Hard as well...Took about 4 tries.

I just used the minigun till it ran out of juice then the PMC. The trick is to use the snap aim (remember, even on Very hard if you are somewhat close to an enemy and hit LT the reticle will "snap" to the enemy) and limit how many bullets you fire at each bug. Usually after you kill a group of them you get a slight pause before more come giving you time to reload. As your waiting for the next group make sure to be aiming ground level so you see them as early as possible and have more time to react.

I was stuck there for a few minutes as well, here's what I did.

1. Run to the elevator and get your teammates on it.
  2. Run back to the minigun and grab it.
  3. Turn around and hit the switch pronto.
  4. Spray and pray with that minigun and you can get about half-way on the elevator with it.
  5. Spray with PMC for the rest of the way, or aim if you're better at aiming.
  6. That should do it.

Good luck! Also there's one room near the end that's a pain, so post in here again if you get stuck there. You'll know what room it is because there's a ton of guys and minibosses at once. There's nothing hard after that though.

hey, yeah i'm at that point i think (act 7, chapter 1) and it's doing my head in. just where you jump over the couch? any tips?

The method I used was the alt-fire on the shotgun. Upgraded it fully and bought full charges. Use it when all the critters are visible on the screen, it will wipe them out. Should have just enough charges to reach the top.

Thanks for the tip with the shotgun, got past that part first try using this method. :)

• 4 months later...

If you use the flail gun and shoot in the middle between the two gears, then detonate as a second later as the lift moves up you should blow thru it...did it first try on very hard but was prepared for this part because I did a play thru on normal...flail gun all the way...

I had a bit of trouble after the minigun ran out of ammo; I pretty much only used the PMC and got screwed on the reloads. Didn't even think about the boneduster's charge, that would have made things much easier. Regardless, I passed it long ago using the minigun and PMC.

The method I used was the alt-fire on the shotgun. Upgraded it fully and bought full charges. Use it when all the critters are visible on the screen, it will wipe them out. Should have just enough charges to reach the top.

This method worked like a charm. There shouldn't be any other method to try besides this one.

Very easy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got to this portion last night. Almost got it my first try (on VH) and did a giant forehead slap when I failed sooo close to the end! Arg!:rant:

Hope I get it today!

*Edit to add: I tried the charged flail method and I couldn't get that to work but after getting the timing right on the charged-shotgun method, I got it third try :)

Edited by EnchantedDaisy
update

• 10 months later...

I've tried everything people have mentioned here, it is so damn hard. The entire game is a cake walk up to this.

Everyone talks about how theirs only 3 on the left and 2 on the right, but for me its like 4 on the left and 3 on the right. They just move so damn fast, even when I use the flailgun/shutgun, it always leaves 2-3 alive to run up and fuck me over. And the AI is just flat out useless, they'll maybe get one or two before it reaches the top. I might just give in and turn down the difficulty.

I’ve watched a few videos and the person does it with ease, they move slow and have less on very hard.

• 11 months later...