Tank Destroyer

BBDrew84

I wanted to talk about the Tank Destroyer and my impressions on it.

I think DICE did a good job with this vehicle platform. It is quite nimble and the main cannon seems to be equal to the main cannon on the MBT and it is of course balanced out by having weak armor.

It was not very difficult to unlock all the different upgrades, I think I had all but Canister and Reactive unlocked after the first night. I use two different load outs on my Tank Destroyer. For armor heavy maps I use Reactive/IR Smoke/Tow and when enemies seem be on foot I switch to Proxy/IR Smoke/Coaxial LMG.

The Tow missle is hands down the best though, 1 hit disable on any armor w/o reactive armor and you can take out infantry with it. I really enjoy flanking enemy armor and sending a Tow missile at them, I have even got a kill on enemy armor across the map with it.

Yesterday night was the first time I really spent any time in the gunners seats. They seem to be positioned in sort of a diamond shape around the main gun, with the first two seats facing left and right front and the last two left and right back. I think knowing that make it easier to be a gunner. It would be OP if it had a designated gunners slot but knowing that I still want one.

I can not say that I noticed a huge difference between the two, SPRUT and M1128. I feel like the M1128 has a huge nose on it and is sometimes hard to see infantry if they are right in front of you. I do have more time and kills in the SPRUT so I am going to say that is my favorite.

I have not played a whole lot of AK but the few hours that I have played was mostly Conquest. I feel sort of let down that the only place a Tank Destroyer is in battle with a Tank is in the game mode Tank Superiority. I know there is another thread about vehicle placement in maps and game mode but I was really hoping to come across Tanks in Conquest.

What do you guys think?

Edited by BBDrew84

The Sprut needs a nerf. It takes the M1128 down to 28% in ONE shot, every god damn time.

I have never won a fight when I was in a M1128 and the other guy had a Sprut, I get him down to 50-60% after one shot and he gets me down to 28%.

And it's not just me, all my friends have noticed this as well.

I have not played a whole lot of AK but the few hours that I have played was mostly Conquest. I feel sort of let down that the only place a Tank Destroyer is in battle with a Tank is in the game mode Tank Superiority. I know there is another thread about vehicle placement in maps and game mode but I was really hoping to come across Tanks in Conquest.
When I hear the words "Tank destroyer" I expect it to be able to demolish an MBT but have a tough time up against its own kind. I also expected maps to be flooded with MBTs and a few Destroyers for each team so they could actually fulfil the role their very name points towards - this would also help a lot with Get To Tha Choppa which you can only achieve in the main game and Back to Karkand as there are no MBTs for you to engage with a helicopter:confused:

Aside from that, I really like them. Though, misleading me to believe there were to be mixed with MBTs instead of replacing bar the one each team gets in Superiority, knocks some points off.

Also earned my Proficiency and Master dogtags this evening so I'm going to focus more on the Mobile Artillery for now, unless I'm back on vanilla maps getting those last two DMRs to Mastery...

I am disappointed with the lack of actual tanks to destroy in them, you can in some rush maps, but I've been avoiding it do to how unbalanced that mode is in AK. Otherwise it's exactly how I thought it would be, an IFV with a tank's main gun.

The Sprut needs a nerf. It takes the M1128 down to 28% in ONE shot, every god damn time.

I have never won a fight when I was in a M1128 and the other guy had a Sprut, I get him down to 50-60% after one shot and he gets me down to 28%.

And it's not just me, all my friends have noticed this as well.

You're getting shot with a TOW, both of the tank destroyers are essentially idenical.

You're getting shot with a TOW, both of the tank destroyers are essentially idenical.

No he's not, even if the M1128 has reactive I shoot once at his reactive, then another and he's disabled before he disables me.

Logically the SPRUT should be easier to destroy seeing as its armour isn't sloped at all on the sides and rear. Tank Destroyers shouldn't have had HE shell because MBTs don't get one.

I never noticed this. Maybe one of these days I will hop on an empty server and try it out.

Really?

I've shot several choppers down in the last few days using the tank destroyer, all in one shot.

Me two, all OHK with the main cannon of the TD

I'm still no wiser, at 3.33 is a guy shooting at a chopper with the mg on a Growler or VDV, not a tank destroyer. I watched the video the whole way through and still didnt see anything.

He was basically showing that he hit an Attack Chopper with the SMAW, and even though you can clearly see the impact, it didn't even damage the Attack Chopper. I have managed to hit choppers several times with Tank Destroyers and even once with the 105 from the Gunship and it has definitely failed to do ANY damage.

I'm still no wiser, at 3.33 is a guy shooting at a chopper with the mg on a Growler or VDV, not a tank destroyer. I watched the video the whole way through and still didnt see anything.

He was basically showing that he hit an Attack Chopper with the SMAW, and even though you can clearly see the impact, it didn't even damage the Attack Chopper. I have managed to hit choppers several times with Tank Destroyers and even once with the 105 from the Gunship and it has definitely failed to do ANY damage.

What Saint said I said 3:33 because that's when he said to watch this BS