Banned games in Australia!

Mr Bungle

why is everyone complaining so much.. if mortal kombat was released here it would cost $99 or $109 aussie.

buy a cheap US console (i got mine for $94 aussie and $45 aussie postage)

buy the game from america (i bought it for $44.00 aussie)

so yeah.. i buy every game from the states... screw Australia and its inflated prices and laws :D

Someone stated this above:

Importing the game is illegal in Australia, with any copy found at the border being seized, and its recipient possibly receiving as much as a A$110,000 fine.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole violence in video games theory is complete BS if you ask me. The most violent thing a video game has ever made me do is throw my controller across the room. To think that a person, be it a child or an adult, will commit a violent act because they played a game is ludicrous.

So I just found out that MORTAL KOMBAT is now banned in Australia!

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1152075p1.html

I'm sorry for this rant, but I've had enough of Australia's lack of "maturity"

We can't even get an R18+ rating. Do they not realise that half (if not more) of the pecentage of Australian gamers are "mature" gamers. By my knowledge - we are they only country that does not have a adults game rating system!

First Left 4 Dead 2 (they could of at least kept the "blood and gore" like the first one but nope!) and now this!

As I said I'm sorry for this rant. I suppose we just like to ban anything.

I don't see a Hannah Montana 2 passing through our ratings board after this!!

Don't get upset bro.. it's not only in Australia.. the same shit happens in Germany too. Gears of War 1+2 BANNED, Left 4 dead is CUT, Medal of Honor is CUT, COD: Modern Warfare 2 CUT, BLACK OPS cut,.. That's why I try to buy my games from UK.

I think he has since clarified that statement - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/john-rau-spokesperson-r18-reports-are-misleading/#more-444119

Can you imagine if one state had different content laws than the rest? Advertising, different ratings, publishers would have to make two copies of the game and one version would only be for a minority market....

The whole violence in video games theory is complete BS if you ask me. The most violent thing a video game has ever made me do is throw my controller across the room. To think that a person, be it a child or an adult, will commit a violent act because they played a game is ludicrous.

You'd be surprise how strong psychology can be.

Little kids play games and they imitate it because it's cool or because the game makes it seem cool or good, and the characters get up without being damaged, and many other reasons.

That's why there are rating systems for the games.

I hate people who buy their kids Halo Reach who are 8 years old. I saw a little kid at Target whining to his mother about getting it, and the mother said no because it was rated M or whatever (I don't even know)

I liked that mother, but I bet she caved in after I left.

I have 4 siblings, me being oldest. Video games make them violent. It never really impacted me like that, I don't know why, but I like that.

Anyway, crazy shit is going on.

wow, this post is all about needless bitching. You can still get the game. The NTSC ver of MK will play in PAL 360s and the PAL MK will play in NTSC 360s. So whats the problem?

Once again:

Importing the game is illegal in Australia, with any copy found at the border being seized, and its recipient possibly receiving as much as a A$110,000 fine.

wow, this post is all about needless bitching. You can still get the game. The NTSC ver of MK will play in PAL 360s and the PAL MK will play in NTSC 360s. So whats the problem?

Clearly, you didn't read too closely.. what this is actually about is the issue of censorship, and how Australia simply bans violent games instead of addressing the issue with a sensible ratings system. It's not just whinging that MK9 is banned.

Furthermore, if you would've read this thread, then you would know that importing this game can actually lead to criminal charges if it's discovered at customs. This is certain in WA, as far as I know.

In other words, the nonsense response this country is taking with games that have mature content that is not appropriate for children.

See I've always dreamt of living in Aus, but I'm doubting it now lol

lol creepy i was thinking the same thing! i always thought the people/weather/beach/wildlife would be so exciting to live around. im from chicago, so ive pretty much been around big buildings lots of people all the time :p. i would LOOOOVE to go surfing over there, i have only been to the beach in new jersey (by beach i mean ocean, not lake michigan).

i cant belieev they would ban that game! or censor other titles for that matter. i cant see any logical reasoning, especially if they are saying because of the "maturity" or adult rating. lol honestly? do they think AUS is run by children under 17!?

I believe exo-apollo found an article where the news is actually false.

Could be wrong...

It is just a very misleading article really. What the guy (Rau) said was that South Australia would be going ahead with the R18+ in SA (and he worded it in a way that sounded like they were going it alone). What he meant was that if an R18+ rating was approved by the Federal Government, then SA would be behind it and would change their ratings system accordingly, along with the rest of Australia......So he essentially said nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Importing isn't really an issue. They're not likely to check your package unless it's suspicious, and you're not going to get a 110k fine unless you're getting a whole bunch of copies (ie intent to sell).

If you're really paranoid about it just request that whoever you buy the game from ships the disc inside a Spongebob game case or something. :p

I imported Left 4 Dead 2 from NZ with no problems. Customs don't seem to open gamecase sized packages. Just larger stuff. Someone overseas sent me a mic recently and that got opened for inspection but they've never done it with a game.

Not only do you aussies get games banned, you get them late and at a ridiculously inflated price. Let's not get started on the fun that is computer hardware shopping. If there are things that would keep me from living in your beautiful country, it is these things.

Yes I enjoy my games and my electronics.

I have loved Australia since I was little and always had dreams of one day moving there, but as I am well and truly a gamer if I every got the opportunity I would have to think twice.

It's so stupid that they don't recognise adult gamers and issue mature ratings. Most games nowadays are not for kids, come on get a clue and stop banning/editing games just because of mature content.