No clue how people call Apocalyptic difficulty easy...

Cakolukia

I die at every fight. It takes forever for me to just get by even the smallest battle. This game is really pissing me off. It's not even that I'm bad at these types of games I've beaten hacknslashers on the hardest difficulties plenty of times. This is just plain ridiculous to me. Right now I'm in the choking grounds doing the battle called "The Gory End" and it's freaking impossible! I get 20/30 of the kills and then that big thing just slaughters me. I'm not having fun at all with this thing.

Rant over.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to know why everyone calls Apocalyptic difficulty easy? Two words. Abyssal. Armour. The game is almost a joke with it equipped, all the early enemies barely scratch you, the bosses are a little harder hitting, but by the time you get to the massive heavy-hitters, you've got enough health to shrug it off anyway. Not to mention every one of your attacks leeches life from the enemy, meaning you last a lot longer in combat. I personally found Normal harder than Apocalyptic with the armour set.

Want to know why everyone calls Apocalyptic difficulty easy? Two words. Abyssal. Armour. The game is almost a joke with it equipped, all the early enemies barely scratch you, the bosses are a little harder hitting, but by the time you get to the massive heavy-hitters, you've got enough health to shrug it off anyway. Not to mention every one of your attacks leeches life from the enemy, meaning you last a lot longer in combat. I personally found Normal harder than Apocalyptic with the armour set.
What he said.

Lower difficulty to normal, collect Abbysal Armour and start new game on apocalyptic difficulty using this armour. You'll enjoy the game much more, trust me.

I am making my first and only playthrough with Apocalyptic. It is difficult, but dash is your friend. I use the scythe to level it and because of its range, I go in for 2 hits and then dash away. Also, when you learn the big guys movements, it makes it easier to know when you can sit and hack away for a longer period of time. I would not say it is easy at all, but with patience it makes it a lot more bearable.

I've also started fresh on Apocalyptic. Sure, it's not dead easy, but playable. Some of the boss encounters might be a bit of a pain in some occasions, but overall I'm not having too many issues, taking out some of the random packs.

And as well I've been using scythe a lot, more than Chaoseater. Leveling/upgrading it to the max can help a great deal, especially when there are a lot of little trash mobs around.

I would agree with the above comments, the abyssal armor is the best way to make Apocalyptic playthrough easy as pie.

Second to this you just need to practice fighting.

In my opinion i would advise using the sword with 'Harpoon Tackle' to dart in and out of combat, on some enemies you can just use it over and over again against them as it will keep knocking them back and meaning they can't get up to damage you.

Also the 'flipsaw' move is really good when combined with the uppercut and a good combo on the ground and in the air before it.

If you are unable to get these moves through lack of souls then i would advise either getting the abyssal armor on another playthrough.

OR getting a guide to help yu get more lifestone shards, wrath shards, and some better weapon enhancements.

Hope this helps.

In my opinion i would advise using the sword with 'Harpoon Tackle' to dart in and out of combat, on some enemies you can just use it over and over again against them as it will keep knocking them back and meaning they can't get up to damage you.Hope this helps.

I agree 100%. This move will save you more than you even know.

I personally found Flipsaw to be a bit on the cheap side, especially when spamming it. Can take down most enemies quickly but left me without a challenge. Harpoon Tackle annoyed me as it kept throwing enemies away, meaning I often triggered other fights just trying to get to the knocked away enemy.

But this is my personal experience, there are methods that work for different people, but it's no arguement that Abyssal Armour makes it much easier.

I personally found Flipsaw to be a bit on the cheap side, especially when spamming it. Can take down most enemies quickly but left me without a challenge.

I definitely agree with this statement, it does own everything, and takes the challenge out of the game a bit but this thread is to help a guy who is struggling on apocalyptic so he already has enough of a challenge without trying to make it more difficult by stopping himself using the good moves :p

Harpoon Tackle annoyed me as it kept throwing enemies away, meaning I often triggered other fights just trying to get to the knocked away enemy.

I hadn't really considered this but you have a very good point. The times i found harpoon tackle very handy were on those ghostly women with 2 weapons... if you just spam harpoon tackle on them when they come out of 'ghostly' form not only can they not hit you as a result of the knock back but on top of this they can't even get back into 'ghostly' form.

I hadn't really considered this but you have a very good point. The times i found harpoon tackle very handy were on those ghostly women with 2 weapons... if you just spam harpoon tackle on them when they come out of 'ghostly' form not only can they not hit you as a result of the knock back but on top of this they can't even get back into 'ghostly' form.

Actually using the abysmal chain on them worked wonders. As soon as they come out of invul, use it to draw them up and then wail away at them.

What he said.

Lower difficulty to normal, collect Abbysal Armour and start new game on apocalyptic difficulty using this armour. You'll enjoy the game much more, trust me.

I'm just about to start this game.

Roughly how much added time does it take to collect the abyssal armour on normal before you start a new game on Apocalyptic? Is it nearly a complete playthrough before you have all the armnour pieces?

You won't be able to get the last piece of the armour until quite far into the game, I can't remember which is the last piece of equipment required is but I believe it is the Mask of Shadows. So you're looking at about a complete playthrough before you get the full set.

You won't be able to get the last piece of the armour until quite far into the game, I can't remember which is the last piece of equipment required is but I believe it is the Mask of Shadows. So you're looking at about a complete playthrough before you get the full set.

Yea it is the Mask of Shadows, which as Malkaiah said is very close to end game. :p

Just start on the hardest setting. I played the game through once for the 1k. The OP is correct that it initially is tough. But perseverance is the key and using the dash button. I died 50 times in my 1 playthrough and most of those were in the first few hours play. Once you have earned a few abilities it becomes easy enough.

Abysmal armour requires 2 playthroughs, the last piece is immediately prior to the final boss as I recall.

Great game though

The game is not a piece of cake ... but for me it was doable and fair all the time. Fighting with the Scythe and holding range to your enemys. Purchasing the updates that match your way of playing the game and using the trick for leveling your weapons @ the spiders lair...

Not as easy as some other games ... but theres harder stone outside in the world of HacknSlay games ^^

Would you all recommend I take 2 playthroughs, instead of 1?

I'm about an hour in on a Normal playthrough, and I'm not great at Hacknslash games.

Should I complete the game on Normal, collect the Abyssal armour, and then play through on Apocolyptic?

Or just play through once on Apocolyptic?

If you want to get the achievements quickest then play through on Apocalyptic first but if you aren't great at hack n slash you might struggle to begin with, the abyssal armour makes it a lot easier.

I would suggest you do 2 playthroughs:

Playthrough 1

-Get abyssal armour,

-Enjoy story,

-Get better at fighting :)

-Collect combat based achievements (easier on normal than apocalyptic). These are 'Who's Counting', 'Devastator', 'Aerial Predator', 'High Flier', 'Improvised Kills' (you may need a guide for these but there shouldnt be any major spoilers.

Playthrough 2

-Get all collectibles (artifacts, wrath shards, healthstone shards)

-Level weapons to max level (for battle hardened)

-Mop up any other achievements using a guide where necessary.

This is just my 0.02$ but this is the way i advised my cousin to play it and this is how i did it. I think it gives you the best of both worlds and the second playthrough won't be so bad with the abyssal armour (life steal and greater damage resistance). As you have seen in the above post others have struggled on apocalyptic and if you aren't good at hack nslash the abyssal armor and the practice from playthrough 1 will really help!

I hope this helps!

I started this today and have just beaten the second main boss on normal and am curious, what items carry over to the next playthrough, is it just the armour? If so then i take it leaving collectables to the apocalyptic run through is simply due to the advantages of having max abilitities etc. Also, what about weapon strength. I heard you get a level 4 sword right away on the hardest setting?

The only thing that carries over is the armor (if you've collected it). You absolutely do not get a level 4 sword at the start of apocalyptic on your second playthrough, but the abyssal armor makes the game insanely easy since you leech health with every hit.

If you want to get the achievements quickest then play through on Apocalyptic first but if you aren't great at hack n slash you might struggle to begin with, the abyssal armour makes it a lot easier.

I would suggest you do 2 playthroughs:

Playthrough 1

-Get abyssal armour,

-Enjoy story,

-Get better at fighting :)

-Collect combat based achievements (easier on normal than apocalyptic). These are 'Who's Counting', 'Devastator', 'Aerial Predator', 'High Flier', 'Improvised Kills' (you may need a guide for these but there shouldnt be any major spoilers.

Playthrough 2

-Get all collectibles (artifacts, wrath shards, healthstone shards)

-Level weapons to max level (for battle hardened)

-Mop up any other achievements using a guide where necessary.

This is just my 0.02$ but this is the way i advised my cousin to play it and this is how i did it. I think it gives you the best of both worlds and the second playthrough won't be so bad with the abyssal armour (life steal and greater damage resistance). As you have seen in the above post others have struggled on apocalyptic and if you aren't good at hack nslash the abyssal armor and the practice from playthrough 1 will really help!

I hope this helps!

Sweet, thanks.

Also, would you recommend I play through on normal for fun, getting the kill achieves not no collectibles (except Abyssal Armour), then collect all collectibles on the Apocolyptic playthrough?

Abyssal armor is obtainable in one playthrough, you just need to backtrack. You can get 3 by the time you give Samael Tiamat's heart.

Sorry I didn't mean it quite like that - I meant if you play on normal expecting to get Abysmal armour and then switch to apocalyptic you will need 2 entire playthroughs as the armour is right near the end of the first playthrough - hence my advice to do 1 playthrough on apocalyptic.