way to beat alex kidd, and all cpu opponents!

icky cream

I stumbled upon a very handy trick yesterday to easily beat all cpu opponents easily! that strategy doesn't work on Alex Kidd, but i did beat him rather easily with AAA ranking today and i will share that strategy aswell.

Beat All CPU Opponents

this stategy is pretty simple but is very effective. firstly make sure you choose a character who's specialty is speed. I preferred to use sonic or shadow. the reason for this is because this strategy is based mostly upon rushing the net.

Serving

this example is for serving from your right court to your opponents left court. reverse for serving left to right.

assuming you serve first, move all the way to the right corner of the court. then as you press the A button to throw the ball up, wait until the third star is full, then imediatly move the left stick sharply right and press A as close as you can to the fifth star. what the ai thinks is that youre serving wide, while you are actually serving close to the center line. your opponent should hit it, but 9/10 times you will have a smash opportunity. take it. serving this way may take some time to master but it is well worth it as it will give you a huge advantage against your opponent. if you get a fault while doing this that means you are moving the left stick to the right too early. it differs from character to character, but it is generally as the meter hits 3 stars, maybe just before.

Returning

this also applies to when the CPU returns your smash during your serve game. the general rule for this entire strategy is to use the drop shot whenever you are reterning any of your opponents shots, including thier serve. to do this press X, and then A shortly after. thats not all though. when you aim your drop shot, aim at the opposite side of where your opponent is. they should run over to it and return it. imediatly after you hit your drop shot, rush the net on the side your opponent is returning from. when returning your drop shot, the CPU will hit it back very slowly, and will not move until you hit it back. when they hit it back, you should be at the net in front of them. hold A and aim to the extreme opposite side of the court your opponent is on. this should score a point everytime on the easier CPU opponents. on some of the harder ones they may return that hit. in that case move to that side (still up against the net) and hit it to the other side. even if it doesnt score the first time, it will put them at an extreme disadvantage and you can easily score the next hit.

this is the strategy for all CPU opponents on easy except Alex Kidd. it may take time to master but it will make the tennis portion of this game a lot less stressful. then you can focus on what this game is really about: not-tennis.

Beat Alex Kidd

The strategy for beating Alex Kidd is simalar to all other opponents, but kind of opposite. choose someone fast like above. i chose sonic.

Serving

You set up your serve the same way as the above strategy, but instead aim to the opposite side. eg. if you are serving from the right, move the left stick imediatly to the left as the meter reaches 3 stars. this should provide the same outcome; setting you up for a smash. he mosty will return to the opposite side you are on so be prepared to run. if he does somehow return your smash, or if you miss the smash, just rush the net in front of him and hit it to the opposite side of the court. NOTE: i find that when trying to hit a smash, holding X works best.

Returning

now this is the hard part. the strategy for this is simple but could backfire if not done correctly. when he serves take a step forward. this will give you a better chance to hit it as he can serve wide or sharp. when you return it, lob the ball into the back of his court by pressing A, then X quickly after. try to aim it into the back corner opposite Alex. this may seem like a dumb idea, but if you dont do this he will hit the ball to the opposite side of the court you're on, and while you're trying to return, he will rush the net... then you're screwed. but when you lob the ball into the back of his court, it forces him to stay back so you can rush the net. if done correctly, he will not smash it. some times he doesnt even hit it! when he does hit it back after you lob it, you should be at the net near the center of the court. when he hits it hold X not A (reason being sometimes you end up diving to hit the shot, and hitting A will usually hit it out) and aim to the extreme opposite of Alex. he may run to the other side of the court and return. follow him, while still up against the net, and hold X and aim opposite him. repeat this until you score. he shouldnt return it more than twice.

if you find that this is not working, try returning his serve first with A, then when he hits it back to you lob the ball with A, then X. if you do this do not rush the net after you return his serve. instead you should return, then stay in the center at the back of your court to get ready to lob the ball, once you do, then you rush and continue the strategy writen above.

I also recommend not using superstar mode, as it can mess you up. if you do want to use it, save it for an emergancy where you think you cant reach the ball in time. do not use it as a finishing move.

this will take a little practise. after my first time playing him trying to unlock him, i found this and it allowed me to beat him after losing for at least a half hour. today i faced him and didnt spend more than 20 minutes and i got AAA rank.

Edited by icky cream

Your post is pretty much spot on for the most part...you rock!

However, the second half of Alex Kidd is a complete fail. Using the method you typed, I keep on getting slammed by him. Lobbing it in the opposite corner...he still has plenty of time to get set up, and he spikes the shit out of it. And since you say get close to the net...it shoots right over your head. I've been trying to beat him, and him only, for the past hour. First game when you have to serve is cake, the other one...wow, it's frustrating.

i forgot to mention that when you return with A, then X you have to aim the left stick up and to the left or right to make the ball go deep into his court. when i did it he never smashed it.

I'm not saying it didn't work for you. I'm saying I know what I know...and that is...

THE METHOD DOESN'T WORK...HE SPIKES IT EVERY...SINGLE...TIME!

In fact, it hasn't actually worked at all. Not even once. Currently in the process of finding a way that works.