Worth buying?

13ip0lar

If you have the cash then yes, but in my opinion, if you can rent it for a day or 3 you will have more then enough time to play through it a few times and see all the content it has to offer without having to rush. Definitely one of the best games this year.

A day or 3?

My first playthough took me 30 hours and I deliberately missed over half the side missions so that the game would still be fresh a second time round!

Anyway, the game is fantastic, definitely worth buying.

This game is well worth the $60 to me. More than what I expected and you will have to play through multiple times for the achievements. Now you can rent it at REDBOX for $2 a night but for you to finish it it is going to take more than a night. Unless you don't don anything but the main story line and that sucks.

I would also say that this game is definitely worth $60. Heck, I would even have paid $100 for it.

It is one of the greatest games I have ever played, I find myself deliberately not playing it for days at a time just to prolong my experience with this game.

Granted, this is coming from a HUGE fan of the first Deus Ex (played through this one 6 times, 7th time coming up after finishing DX:HR).

Still, GO GET IT! :)

Looks like I'm gonna be the minority here....

I'd recommend renting, buying it used, or waiting until its cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game and it is worth at least one playthrough, but it just feels.....lacking.

I'm not gonna lie....I think the game was too short. I've beat it twice in 5 days, going out of my way to do all the side quests both times....and yes, I have a life. I finished the second runthrough last night, after spending the day out and about, and most the week at school.

Honestly, I think this was one of my most disappointing full price video game purchases...

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Everyone who disagrees with me (probably a lot of people), FIRE AWAY!

In response to a couple of the above posters I think Catherine & El Shaddai are both going to be good full price purchases. Well Catherine at least. El Shaddai I'm iffy on.

But on topic? You can't beat the game twice in less then a week if you have a life. If all you do is play the game? Yeah sure. But even playing it at least 5 hours a day, it still took me about 5-6 days to beat it. That was done with hacking everything, being semi-stealthy and running and gunning if I got caught, and most of the sidequests. (I missed Acquantinces & Tallon).

I got about half the achievements the first time through and I'm getting the rest now. Which is rather sad really. I have games that I bought over a year ago that I haven't 100% completed because the achievements are just too annoying and/or difficult. This would be the first game I've bought and played right through to completion right afterwards. Is it good? Yes. But it is short. I can see myself maybe going back through it again, perhaps combining stealth with a lethal approach. But it won't be soon.

Honestly? While I think it's worth $60, your mileage may vary. You might want to wait until it hits a lower price or just rent it.

I was a huge fan of the original deus ex games and so I pre ordered this one and was standing outside the store waiting for them to open the day it came out.

I spend a lot of my time playing games, and I have put a lot of time into DE:HR. I am a huge fan of stealth, and exploration. I havent finished the game yet.

If you just want to play the game for the achievements, you can apparently run through the game pretty fast. However if you want to really enjoy the game and explore, your probably not going to be able to do it all with a rental.

As for purchasing the game, and how much you should pay.... I myself couldn't wait to play this game, but if you can, why shouldn't you wait as long as possible to save as much cash as you can?

It's by far worth it! I shelled out for the Augmented Edition and don't regret a thing. I just finished my first playthrough, on hard, all side-quests, stealth most of the way, shoot when I must, with 45/49 achievements at 23h:29m:32s. I wasn't able to get the no alarms, no kills, or all eBooks achievements, I'm going for those on the second play through. And I bought it the day it came out, but I didn't have power for 4 days due to Hurricane Irene last week, so take from this what you will. For a game that does not have a multiplayer mode, you will definately receive your money's worth.

Edited by Double O Slevin

To the OP though, you really shouldn't have posted this here, unless you're trying to get others to reaffirm your desire to purchase the game. You're on a specific game's forum....most the people here are going to be fans of it, and the answers you recieve are going to be fairly biased towards buying the game. the game.

To be fair, I just stated the question to start the debate. I intended to buy this game, but wanted to get peoples opinion on it. Hell, I still haven't played Batman: AA because for the longest time it was still $35 used. Now I'm sure I can get it for $20. I really just was curious if a sequel, that came 10 years after the original, was really that good, or if it just felt like a Mass Effect clone.

Seems many thought it was a pretty good game, but the only thing I can't gauge is how bad the bugs are. I played Fallout: New Vegas and while I enjoyed it, that has to be the buggiest game I have ever played. I've heard people state this game has game-breaking glitches, and others say that the at worst they're inconveniences. In any event, if they are as bad as some say, by the time I get around to grabbing it, they should be patched. :3

I really just was curious if a sequel, that came 10 years after the original, was really that good, or if it just felt like a Mass Effect clone.

This isn't a sequel, it's a prequel and it feels nothing like Mass Effect at all, ever. I really enjoy Mass Effect, but after playing this game, if I was with Bioware, I'd be re-tooling Mass Effect 3, because if it's anything like 2, after people playin' this game, it's gonna catch some flack, at least in the gameplay department.

Seems many thought it was a pretty good game, but the only thing I can't gauge is how bad the bugs are.

I beat it twice without any instances of bugs or glitches popping up. None of the 4 people on my friend's list who have played it mentioned any either. I've gotten 950/1000 GS, the only achievement left is for the books, but I never went for them. Reason I mention that is because a few topics are floating around about glitched achievements, I don't think that's the case, I think people just aren't sure when they're doing something properly on the game's terms.

It's my GOTY so far. We'll have to see how Skyrim is before I can make a decision though. :woop:

I absolutely loved it. One of the best games I've played in a while (and I play A LOT of games) and it's a great revival of the series. It's more RPG than shooter, and it also caters more stealthy play style than a shooting style. So if you don't like RPG elements or Stealth, you may not care for it.

I spent at least 35 hours on my first playthrough exploring, doing sidequests, and getting absolutely immersed. I couldn't put the game down. I finished my 35 hour first playthrough in about 3 days and I IMMEDIATELY started a new game and played through it again in 2 days. This time however, I went for no kills, no alarms, complete stealth, hard mode, etc. It was tons of fun.

And guess what? I just started a new game again right after my 2nd playthrough. :p

This time I'm going to play on easy and just murder everything in sight.

I highly recommend it. It's well worth the money.

Seems many thought it was a pretty good game, but the only thing I can't gauge is how bad the bugs are. I played Fallout: New Vegas and while I enjoyed it, that has to be the buggiest game I have ever played. I've heard people state this game has game-breaking glitches, and others say that the at worst they're inconveniences. In any event, if they are as bad as some say, by the time I get around to grabbing it, they should be patched. :3

I have only come across a few minor bugs involving bodies parts clipping through the floor when you knockout/kill people. I doubt this will ever be patched as its a minor issue.

If anything gets patched, it will be the way the hacking game stores rewards. They are stored into universal location that has nothing to do with your game file, and is only emptied when you exit out of a hack by pressing x after you win(you gain all stored rewards) or lose(all stored rewards are deleted). So you can save before a hack, collect all its rewards, then finish it and instead of pressing X to exit it, you press start and then load your previous save and hack the terminal constantly adding more and more rewards to be collected when you have as much as you want and finally press X after successfully completing a hack.

I have only come across a few minor bugs involving bodies parts clipping through the floor when you knockout/kill people. I doubt this will ever be patched as its a minor issue.

This probably can't really be patched, or more so, it's not worth the trouble. It has to do with the environmental physics and rag-doll physics. A lot of games have instances where rag-dolls can clip the environmental physics, it's just the nature of the beast.

This issue is by no means a huge issue. For instance, I've never had a problem with it, nor has anyone I've ever spoken with that I know. That being said, I'm also the type of person who realizes in stealth games you need to be aware of such as this, so I don't leave bodies in places they could clip. These areas are often boundaries between an upper plane and a lower plane, i.e. -| where those two lines meet. It's also likely occuring more often to people who think it's a good idea to stick a body in a tight space, like an air duct. Putting a rag-doll in a tight place is just asking for it to clip.

A day or 3?

My first playthough took me 30 hours and I deliberately missed over half the side missions so that the game would still be fresh a second time round!

Anyway, the game is fantastic, definitely worth buying.

I guess some people are just slower at playing through a game than others. I played through it 4 times in 3 days (without rushing through areas/minus the last playthrough for collectibles)

Personally don't think there is enough there to keep you playing it for that long without getting bored. Besides, renting is the best way to go anyway, if he ends up loving it, he can buy it. If no, well then he saved himself 60 dollars.

whether or not you believe me though is up to you, but hammering me as a troll for giving my opinion in a topic about whether or not to buy the game just reeks of hypocrisy.

This^, I don't want to get in the middle or pick sides, but you you've said you respect his ability to have his own opinion, yet call him a troll every chance you get. I've never run across him personally so I can't say from experience, but to keep labeling someone as one, even after you've made your point is a bit redundant imo.

Back OT though, I appreciate all the feedback I will probably hold off on getting it as stated, but was just more interested in the fact if the "day 1" buyers felt their money was well spent. Really looking forward to playing this even after seeing the cheebs. Things to note I'm not a cheeb whore, but enjoy doing them when they are fun, and help extend gameplay/replayability, and the three 100 GS cheebs look like they would be fun to do. :D

I'm goin' to have to go with Rage on this, though his other topic is a different matter. I for one have been quite displeased with the quality of games lately so add on a $60 price tag and it just makes purchasing even more like gambling, even after proper hands-off research.

Here's my experience though:

With Deus Ex: HR I remembered Invisible War, I knew the current state of modern games setting thresholds very low and I didn't let myself care about the game at all. I figured at best it would be a semi-Mass Effect experience, worth playing, but after it's done, it's done, no use in owning it.

So I went out and rented it. I had it for 6 days and beat it twice, though one run was a complete speed run on Hard since I didn't want it out any longer, I felt like I was bleeding money since I used a Red Box. I figured after taking it back I had, had enough and could wait until it hit $20. A day later I was craving another go. I don't know why, it's just that good to me, like I'm playin' a newer, better Goldeneye 007 from the N64.

Needless to say I caved tonight and bought it on Steam and am hard at work on another run through still enjoying it just as much as the first run.

Still, I fully support trying it before you buy it. This game is an actual fun and good game, but it isn't for everyone. Especially if you don't have the patience or love for stealth; your mileage will vary greatly on that alone. If played like a Rainbow Six Vegas type game I just can't see it having much lasting appeal.

If you have the cash then yes, but in my opinion, if you can rent it for a day or 3 you will have more then enough time to play through it a few times and see all the content it has to offer without having to rush. Definitely one of the best games this year.

Lol it takes around 30 hours + ur gunna want about 2-4 playthroughs any how. but its well worth the full price best game out so far this year in my opinion.