Is it worth even bothering to get this game?

Pyrofreezer

As a huge Devil May Cry fan I was extremely disappointed when the new look of Dante was revealed, and that alone was a big enough for me to avoid getting the game.

However, because it is Devil May Cry, should I at least consider renting it? Or should I avoid it completely like the plague?

I wouldn't call myself a massive DMC fan but I have played and enjoyed all the games. Yes Dante looks different but the story is good and I like the 'new' combat system and I really did enjoy playing this game.

At the end of the day DMC or not, this game is good and defiantly worth a purchase.

Have a read of IGN's review as it highlights in more detail about the changes.

As a huge Devil May Cry fan I was extremely disappointed when the new look of Dante was revealed, and that alone was a big enough for me to avoid getting the game.

However, because it is Devil May Cry, should I at least consider renting it? Or should I avoid it completely like the plague?

I was at the exact same point as you were but after the demo I was sure I won't be getting it. The Demo was horrible imo but you should try it as others have liked it.

GO GET IT!! Great game. I gave it 85% Great hack and slash Action game. :)

Devil May Cry 3 is best DmC game ever made. So this new one is great reboot.

I have downloaded the demo and played the first level. Whilst I don't agree with many aspects of the story (angel mother, really?) I have to admit that the combat system is an improvement to that of the previous Devil May Cry games and the music that plays when fighting demons is my style.

I have downloaded the demo and played the first level. Whilst I don't agree with many aspects of the story (angel mother, really?) I have to admit that the combat system is an improvement to that of the previous Devil May Cry games and the music that plays when fighting demons is my style.

If you want it do us all a favour and buy it second hand. Nobody wants DMC DMC 2. We want a DMC 5.

It's a damn fun game. People just need to get over the fact they dared to do something different with the series.Plus it's not like they drastically changed much, like shoving in Kinect, or having FP platforming.

For me, if Bayonetta was the new standard for combat (complexity, fluidity, fun, etc), this game seems to strive to be that level. It doesn't reach it, however I think this game sets a new standard for how that combat is presented. It's very easy to see your combo building up with the score & breakdown on the screen, the upgrade system is quite nice & the game doesn't lock you into upgrades, which some people will complain about since it'll be "too easy" or some shit, but honestly, it gives you the freedom to build your own fighting style and change it up to explore new options.

I would say it is worth checking out. Look at some videos online, read some reviews, try out the demo - decide for yourself. I'm not a crazed fan, but I have played and do love all the prior DMC games, it's one of my favorite franchises. I was a bit disappointed with the change in Dante myself, and even after playing this I still much prefer the old version, however, you must realize it's a new story/theme so a change makes sense with what they're doing.

I'm not loving the new one as much as everyone else I think, but it's a good game.

give the game a chance. I think it plays better than some of the other entries in the series. after 5 minutes yo wont even care about dante's new look. i was skeptical at first about this but have really grown to like the new take on it. you will not be disappointed.

I personally think it's a huge improvement from DMC4. I tried the DmC demo, loved it, bought and now I'm addicted (actually playing it on "Son of Sparda" right now) .. Combat is easy to learn and flows really well, level design is great, and the music always gets me hyped up for some demon killing. I'm still not used to Dante's younger appearance but there is an easter egg early in the game that's pretty funny.. Story is short (beat it in less than a day on Devil Hunter/Normal) but sweet.

I believe that if you are fan of the series by that I mean that you liked DMC 3/4 stay away from this title as it plays like a slog fest compare to the previous games. IMO DMC5 is a good game the problem is that it does not belong to DMC franchise as this is more of god of war clone.

In DMC5 he gameplay on DMD is awful. I even decided to refresh my memory and replay DMC4 and let me tell you its a completely different kind of beast. The combat flow is awesome compare to 5. The enemies in 5 have extremely horrid AI. Also bosses in 5 are very luck laster even by lesser than previous DMC standards.