'useful party member' crowd controll mage

jandancer33

think i've discovered the best party set up :D

on my second play through as a rogue i discovered the brilliance of having a 'crowd controll' mage as a party member.

the crowd control mage (i'm using morrigan) concentrates on building the entropy spells as soon as possible, starting with the debilitation and sleep lines.

this allows her to put to sleep, or paralyze, a large group of enemies, while you and the tank (i'm playing as a rogue, and alistair is my tank) run around and kill all the sleeping foes.

as you are doing this, she is firing off spells at the sleeping foes that will weaken them, or even turn them against each other.

other good sets to build for crowd controll are,

primal>cold: winters grasp, cone of cold and blizzard can freeze an enemy in place, as well as cause damage

primal>earth: petrify and earth quake both cause damage as well as being used as crowd controll, rock armour will give your mage protection, and stone fist, a nifty damage spell.

spirit>telekinesis: mind blast (and stone prison if you want to spend points on the spells between) are great crowd controll.

creation>glyphs: paralysis will stop anyone directly attacking your mage with mellee.

once you've built up the crowd controll spells you can add damage spells to her repetoir.

i usually go with, spirit>death: walking bomb/virulent bomb: as infected foes explode and infect other nearby foes, and so on, as long as there are enemies crowded. animate dead gives you an extra party member to take the brunt of the attack.

you can set morrigans tactics, so that she fires off a sleep spell at any large crowd of enemies, followed by weakening spells (horror) at sleeping foes. then picks out the elite bosses for the nightmare spell.

then looks for any other attacking foes to use paralyze.

she can pretty much keep everyone immobile with the right tactic set up.

for the best results though, as soon as i run into a battle, i take manual controll of her, and cast the sleep/paralyze/weaken spells in the areas i think most useful.

then jump back into my rogue to deal damage, leaving morrigan to wipe out any strays.

using a crowd controll mage almost makes the game too easy.

with correctly timed spells, you can keep even the largest crowd asleep while the melee/damage dealers run around killing them all.

my perfect party consists of:

myself:rogue

alistair: tank

wynn: healer

morrigan: crowd controll and damage

and up to now, this has been the best set up in party dynamics that i have played.