The giant and the storm (privateer mission)

MRCTECH4

i've completed all the naval related missions however i cannot get full sync on the privateer mission called 'The Giant And The Storm'

sink ships by firing on their powder stores

how do you reveal said stores? thanx for any help you guys can give

I cannot beat this fucking mission with 100% sync. I tried destroying the masts and then ramming in the front, they die. I tried just tapping the RT to do a little damage to show the weak spot, they die. I just can't fucking do it.

Read the link I posted, you destroy the mast then ram them but hit full stop right before hitting them head on. The man o war will need 2 hits.

Read the link I posted, you destroy the mast then ram them but hit full stop right before hitting them head on. The man o war will need 2 hits.

I already tried that but I'll try again. I'm having more trouble with this than the 100% sync on the tank mission from Brotherhood.

Edit: Just got it doing that method. I just needed to calm myself down before completing it because I was pissed off from all the previous fail attempts.

Edited by VVh1pCr3am

I had fully upgraded my ships so 1 round of normal cannon was destroying them (as was ramming them)

The method I used was Switching to grapeshot.

I shot the first frigate twice with grapeshot and that exposed the weak spot.

The second I shot once with grapeshot, and then once with my swivel cannon, and that exposed the weak spot :)

EDIT: My mistake, the mission I did this on was the rescue, not the giant and the storm. The principle should be the same though.

Edited by SpinelesS

Fuck this mission. Fuck it hard.

I've been going at it for the last 2.5 hours. Can usually get two of the three to reveal their stores, but when I go for the last one... I tap it, blows up. I barely broadside it, blows up. I try just swivel shotting the front, it blows up.

Fuck you Ubi for making this more about luck it seems. I'm about ready to give up on getting the 100% achievement because of this mission. Even the tank mission wasn't this hard.

----

Just took me 3 hours to do... none of the tricks mentioned above worked, and having fully upgraded didn't help.

I ended up having to full speed ram the man-o-war to expose it's store, then trick the two frigates into ramming me before I could get all of the powder stores in one attempt.

Edited by Archer0T8

Fuck this mission. Fuck it hard.

I've been going at it for the last 2.5 hours. Can usually get two of the three to reveal their stores, but when I go for the last one... I tap it, blows up. I barely broadside it, blows up. I try just swivel shotting the front, it blows up.

Fuck you Ubi for making this more about luck it seems. I'm about ready to give up on getting the 100% achievement because of this mission. Even the tank mission wasn't this hard.

I felt the same way yesterday... I tried ramming but it ALWAYS killed the two smaller ships...

What I did was cripple the two frigates first with the chain shot. Then I would pull around to the front of the ship and make a complete stop, then I just used the regular rounds on them. The hole was always exposed after the second or third shot.

Also to make things easier after crippling the frigates go ahead a cripple the large ship too. (Should only take two direct hits with the chain shot.) That way you can take your sweet arse time dealing with the youngins.;)

I felt the same way yesterday... I tried ramming but it ALWAYS killed the two smaller ships...

What I did was cripple the two frigates first with the chain shot. Then I would pull around to the front of the ship and make a complete stop, then I just used the regular rounds on them. The hole was always exposed after the second or third shot.

Also to make things easier after crippling the frigates go ahead a cripple the large ship too. (Should only take two direct hits with the chain shot.) That way you can take your sweet arse time dealing with the youngins.;)

Finally got it - had to full ram the man-o-war, then trick the frigates into ramming me. That got the powder stores to appear 100% of the time.

This was a pain but was so hilarious when i finally did it. I got the two smaller ships to ram each other head on, exposing their weak points and took them out and then rammed the man o' war and hit its weak spot. All of this with just a drop of health. I felt good about myself after that.

My god, this mission is a piece of crap to 100% on. I went through every single strategy, and every single one of them, I always destroy one of the ships before I can blow up their powder stores. I also tried a strategy where you ram the strangest one (the one in the middle) to show its powder store, then go after the others (either by ramming, broadsiding their bows, or chainshotting then broadsiding), and 9 times out of 10, the game doesn't have my ship sail fast enough to do damage to it. I must have tried this mission about three dozen times by now.

I tried my own ways, swallowed my pride, and this is the best approach, as already suggested.

So I confirm it:

1. Use chain-shots to stop the ships.

2. Ram the bow (front) of the ships gently (meaning hit the brakes just before ramming), until the powder reserve is exposed.

3. Quickly us snipe-cannons (LT) to take it out.

Ram the frigates head on on near there front. Make sure not to have the upgraded ram then single shot them with the hand cannon on their weakpoint. Be careful not to ram the side unless your near the tip and never ram twice. The Man of War is the same or use a volley of upgraded grapeshot on their front to reveal the weakpoint.

It took me awhile to figure it out, sometimes you get lucky and not need to do anything but shoot with the hand cannon.

Upgrade your Aquila, without the better ram and iron hull is also not needed.