Calling all Final Fantasy Fans, FF Debate!

_DaNnY_

lol at people throwing the words best and worst around. I'll stick with favorite.

Favorite: VIII. Don't care what anyone says, it is my favorite FF. Even with all of his emo mopeyness, Squall is my favorite lead character. And the opening sequence is one of my favorite in video games.

Least favorite: IX. Couldn't get into it at all.

On VII: I enjoyed playing through it, but I never beat it. I got to breeding chocobos and got side-tracked and stopped playing.

On XII: Might be my second favorite. Love the characters and the story. Thought it was a nice return to form after the missteps of IX-XI.

On XIII: Enjoyed it. Sure, there are some thing I disliked, but overall, I had fun with it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ceris, the hypocrisy was called for due to a flaw in your logic (saying the writer is talking nonsense about the game being 100 - 200 hours) because you did it in 60 hours using cheats on an emulator, Cappie called you on the 60 hour time-frame being impossible and now you even concede that you used an emulator/save states/sped up FPS/cheats to speed up the game - which makes a lot of sense as 60 hours is just too short to do so much in that game. Hence it was hypocritical to say the writer is biased in giving that time frame and then using your own experience as a frame of reference when your experience is not atypical, or on the original console without cheats/save manipulating (save points were placed quite tactically in FF7 also, as they were in FF6) - so I think the 100 - 200 hours estimation is a pretty fair one - it was not meant to be an insult, merely I was trying to point out you said the writer was talking nonsense and then proceeded to give an inaccurate and far from typical account which one could also construe as nonsense.

As for everything else you've said, I completely agree with you. and lol it doesn't seem too professional either, it's just some guys site/blog I looked around the site it seems he just likes to have a laugh, explores an issue or topic but doesn't get all caught up in political correctness and formalities... I kinda like it, it's rebellious/liberating/crude like South Park. I don't think he means it like the kids at school though (to be dicks) but just to add a comical layer. I guess we really do all have our own personal tastes!

Also what you're saying about making FF15 to be like FF6 or FF9..... OMG YES PLEASE!!!! <333333333 that would essentially revitalise the franchise for me. That or an FF6 in 3D (as in bringing in to the PS3/360 gen, not like 3D at the cinemas, screw that) HD update o__O

Edited by _DaNnY_

My first Final Fantasy was the first one and I hated it as a kid. FFVII is when I became addicted and went back to play the older titles, only one I finished from 1-6 was 6. 8 I always got bored off by the last disc, something about the game failed to hook me completely. 9 was too kiddy-fied for me. I felt the move to a more realistic/adult look of 8 and then jump back wasn't too smart.

I finally really fell for a FF game at X, the introduction of voice acting really helped shape the characters and I found I genuinely liked and cared for most of them. However X-2 is like that drunken night I want to forget and 13 was the most boring game engine in history... I pretty much sat there and spammed the A button for the entire game and beat everything as it pretty much plays itself for you.

I don't think I'll bother with the franchise anymore.

I have played most of the final fantasy's (3 eludes me and after years)

and i like all of them (10- 2 not so much) but i find them all enjoyable. there are a few things that irk me about the games like Vaan in 12 (your not the main characters ashe is). also i dont understand the hate for VIII, its a good game

also final fantasy 7 may be overrated now acording to some people and its your opinion but i wouldn't have it anyother way

also i hope that other characters will take a more dominant role in XIII-3 although i wish they would make other characters as main instead of lighting its only so much more of her sombre bitching i can take

but in the end its only opinion and everyone is different

Interesting to see this posted as i saw it recently, i've been reading into a load of Sephiroth VS Kefka debates which sparked up looking around at various other FF articles, but 6 was always my favourite, then 9 and 4, i enjoyed 7 but i feel its overhyped far greater because it was game-wise, pretty amazing for its time.

I got right sucked into the lore and story of number 10, and did really enjoy it, but its not as memorable to me personally as the previous games, everything after it though is pretty meh for me, i cant even get myself into 13 enough to continue on much further from near the beginning.

Edited by DaveBodom

Interesting to see this posted as i saw it recently, i've been reading into a load of Sephiroth VS Kefka debates which sparked up looking around at various other FF articles, but 6 was always my favourite, then 9 and 4, i enjoyed 7 but i feel its overhyped far greater because it was game-wise, pretty amazing for its time.

I got right sucked into the lore and story of number 10, and did really enjoy it, but its not as memorable to me personally as the previous games, everything after it though is pretty meh for me, i cant even get myself into 13 enough to continue on much further from near the beginning.

I hear you brother about 13, I completed it and did enjoy it but it wasn't a Final Fantasy game in the truest sense of the word.

I saw this article posted up by a dude on TrueAchievements the other day, read it and enjoyed it so thought I'd share it with you guys here.

I'll put my opinion out there:

FF Mystic Quest was nothing special, it was more action rpg than JRPG anyhow.

FF1, FF2 and FF3 just have nostalgia/retro factor going for them, objectively comparing them to the SNES era or PS1 era they are the most inferior games in the series. The DS remakes gave them a much needed lick of paint though, and did them some real justice. FF2 battle system was a pile of shit as well, hence why it got abandoned quicker than you can say "lol, jokes battle system".

FF4, FF5 and FF6 are unforgettable SNES classics, I'd actually agree that FF6 is probably my favourite FF.. the story is ridiculously insane, there's a crap ton of characters, the world is huge and there's hundreds of hours of genuine gameplay to be enjoyed.

FF7 - Was amazing for it's time, probably joint first place with FF6 for me as these two games were the pinnacle of the series in my opinion. FF7 was the first fully immersive 3D JRPG and was the first JRPG that many people had EVER played, this game alone is responsible for bringing the entire genre to a much larger audience. Materia system was awesome as shit as well! Sephiroth was bad ass. The Aeris plotline was badass, Avalance were badass. Gold Saucer was badass!

FF8 - Agree this game was terrible, not much else to say. Not terrible per say, just by FF standard it was terrible.

FF9 - Amazing game again, had that FF6 medieval feel to it but was in 3D. The story I thought fell way short of FF6's and 7's though.

FF10 - Linear to start off with, opened up later on and was really enjoyable. Loved the Zanarkand plot-line and it was very visually impressive for it's time (as was number 7)

All other FFs: basically "forgettable" like you said

I totally agree with you there.

I don't know what it is about FFX, but at the time I played it.... it just felt so magical and amused me for hours on end.... kind of wish I could go back to that time

I totally agree with you there.

I don't know what it is about FFX, but at the time I played it.... it just felt so magical and amused me for hours on end.... kind of wish I could go back to that time

I feel the same. I honestly don't know how people could not have legitimately enjoyed Final Fantasy X unless they only played the first 2 hours of it or something and then turn around and herald Final Fantasy 13. It's almost as if they hate JRPGs as the FF13 universe moves away from the JRPG genre massively.

I agree with the article to a very large degree. Everything Final Fantasy did through X was great. Then we got X-2... I'm sorry, but can you say "cash grab"? The story was pretty weak, the game play was mediocre; I just wasn't all that impressed with the game. Then came the dumpster fire that was XI, the boredom-fest that was XII, and the uber-linear and confined XIII.

I was so disappointed with XIII. I thought it may break out of it's shell. Restrict us for a while, but then turn us loose for much carnage and mayhem. Boy was I ever WRONG! A game telling ME how much I can level up? Are you freakin' kidding me?! If I want to grind, I will damn well grind, thank you VERY much!

Personally, to me the best will always be VI, VII and IX. VI was the first one of the series to go HUGE. Big world, big convoluted story, big party of characters, lots of secrets and discoverable stuff... It was fantastic (and Kafka was a bloody HOOT!!).

VII took the big concept and RAN with it. The story was very well done, and had plenty of twists and surprises. The graphics (at that time) were nothing short of jaw dropping. The game play was easy and immersive. You actually gave a damn about most of the characters.

IX took alot of the beloved elements from the early games that those of us that were there from the beginning knew and loved and brought them up to date. The main character was one you could not only relate to, but actually like (sorry folks, but Cloud was a disagreeable jackass). The story was big and woven deftly. The graphics again were so impressive.

I also must pay homage to IV and X. IV was the game that REALLY got me hooked on the series. I actually played that game until I had all 5 of my characters maxed out at level 99. I spent dozens and dozens and dozens of hours slamming away at that game. I LOVED it. The only reason I don't rank it with the other 3 is that story-wise it wasn't as over-the-top, or as deftly told. It also wasn't quite as big. X I loved because I actually like the characters, the graphics blew me away, the fact I could change my party on the fly was VERY cool, and that some of the enemies in it were so damn HUGE was a BLAST!

So there, there's my long-winded opinion. Take it, leave it, don't read it...don't care.

Edited by SideShowBen
Fix a few grammar issues

By the way, guys, I got a question.

When I played Final Fantasy IV I was already very experienced within the franchises and JRPG'S. Most of the FF games take about let's see 40-60 hours to complete storywise but I'm already at the final boss with just 13 hours O_o. Is the game just that short or did I do a good job :p?

When I played Final Fantasy IV I was already very experienced within the franchises and JRPG'S. Most of the FF games take about let's see 40-60 hours to complete storywise but I'm already at the final boss with just 13 hours O_o. Is the game just that short or did I do a good job :p?

I don't remember it being that quick. Did you kill all of the side bosses etc?

Its probably been close to 20 years since I played it but do remember that it was a pretty early release to the 16 bit era so they may not have been using up all the memory space available and could be short.

This is the one with Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Golbez etc...right?

Spamming A was only in FF13? I must have played the wrong series then.

FF4: Spam attack

FF7: Summon (ends fight) or spam attack.

FF10: Late game all char do max with attack.

FF 12: THAT one plays for you.

Havent played enough 1-3, 5, 6,8,9 to comment.

You need to play 6 and 9.

6 is basically a much better, more complex version of 4 with a better a storyline.

9 is kind of them going back to their 4 and 6 roots in a new console generation so it has pretty graphics and a lot more to do.

4,6 and 9 are probably my 3 favorites.

Edited by bigbear.

This is the one with Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Golbez etc...right?

You need to play 6 and 9.

6 is basically a much better, more complex version of 4 with a better a storyline.

9 is kind of them going back to their 4 and 6 roots in a new console generation so it has pretty graphics and a lot more to do.

4,6 and 9 are probably my 3 favorites.

Yes 4 is with them.

He should play 8. 8 was fun.

Yes 4 is with them.

He should play 8. 8 was fun.

8 was fun for around 12 people who all have extremely bad taste maybe. Not only did the entire game suck from beginning to end...when you finally get to the last boss, and cast Aura on Squall and watch him 1 hit kill the fuckin end boss... I died a little inside. Worst boss fight in a FF game ever.

i havent playd taht manny ff only 1,2 7,8, crisis core,10,10-2,12,13,13-2

and soon il be playing cerberus ( with vincent)

but in my opinion i like ff7 the most becous of the storyline about cloud witch kinda gets better explaind in crisis core.

the other ff games arent bad tho even tho sometimes the controles where a bit clumsy like in ff12 it was fun to move around freely while in combat but is had some down sides

8 was fun for around 12 people who all have extremely bad taste maybe. Not only did the entire game suck from beginning to end...when you finally get to the last boss, and cast Aura on Squall and watch him 1 hit kill the fuckin end boss... I died a little inside. Worst boss fight in a FF game ever.

The game was good, interesting side minigames and stuff. Interesting battle and levelling up system. In final fantasy 7 you could pretty much 1 hit anything. Pretty much the same with all final fantasy's. In 5 you could abuse the job class + insane magic equips. In 4 you could spam overpowered summons and abuse Kain's jump. In 12 you could spam the reverse spell. Unfortunately my knowledge of 6,9 and 10 isn't broad.

I never put in 6. I turned off 9 when I started up the game and saw the Main char had a tail, I stopped playing 10 after some water temple. Although I don't want to go back and complete the games just to prove that there are cheap moves/exploits which pwn the end game bosses. I could easily use a google search for that. But my point is, every Final fantasy game has a cheap tactic to use.

Not to mention the cast of FF8 were good, maybe only second to the cast of FF4 (also known as the best Final Fantasy game in history).

I never put in 6. I turned off 9 when I started up the game and saw the Main char had a tail, I stopped playing 10 after some water temple. Although I don't want to go back and complete the games just to prove that there are cheap moves/exploits which pwn the end game bosses. I could easily use a google search for that. But my point is, every Final fantasy game has a cheap tactic to use.

Not to mention the cast of FF8 were good, maybe only second to the cast of FF4 (also known as the best Final Fantasy game in history).

Aww, but Zidane is so cute :3 And to be honest, I think he might actually be the best protagonist Final Fantasy has seen. Even his motive says so :D ''Do I need a reason, to help someone?''

You've really got to try out 6. Most of the time when people call a Final Fantasy games the best, it's often 4, 7, 10 or 6. And In my opinion, 6 might even be the best out there. Great story, ALL characters were loveable (yeah, even umaro, mog and gogo), Great villains (who doesn't know Kefka?), great music. Try it out sometime, really worth your time ^^