Do your real life friends know about or share your love of achievements?

Report Fast

Just a question I have been wondering about, do you friends know about or possibly even share your love for achievements? My friends find it ridiculous that I try to complete my games, and go for achievements. I try to not talk about it with IRL friends but it always becomes apparent. I just think its funny how people think going for a score on your gamertag is weird but people dumping hundreds upon hundreds of hours into call of duty to prestige isn't. In my eyes those 2 things are extremely similar.

any insight?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had many people question my gamerscore or completion obsession to be honest.

Although people judge and don't quite understand when I tell them I've played games like CSI, Night at the Museum, Avatar and Hannah Montana. They don't quite understand how I can care enough to go that far.

But, as you stated, it's a similar situation to CoD prestige. I would never stay up 20 hours in 1 day for double XP in that game, but I'm sure many people do.

Only one of my friends seems to care about getting them, and in his case it's trophies as he has a PS3. It might have something to do with the fact most of my friends have a Wii. I did too before buying a 360. In fact some of my friends with a Wii did the same, but with a PS3 instead. Anyways, yeah, just the one.

Though I think ive gotten my younger brother into achievements. He got a 360 some time back and seems to like going for them. Doesn't have a completion yet though. But the fact he's the one that brings that up, goes some way to highlighting his interest.

Edited by hydrosugar

Sadly none of my friends share the same enjoyment as I do. Sure we will try and beat Left 4 Dead on expert or go for easy co-op achievements, but when we have to stick it out for a grinding achievement or you look at there scores in single player games, it's obvious they don't care as much as I do.

"Achievement whore" was a term that got thrown around by one group of friends I had and have since started falling away from.

Current friends are more quasi-constructive, computer oriented people that find my gaming hunger "cute" that enable me by bringing me 360 games that they get in trades and stuff, but don't partake of the whole thing themselves, mostly sticking to one or two games.

At my last job I had a co-worker that liked to give me a hard time about playing for achievements. I was fairly open about it and most of my friends didn't care or offered to lend me games for competitions.

I have a small group of friends that are actually achievement hunters. No where near as serious as I am but they like doing achievements. One of them has over 100k.

But here in Idaho nobody I know has more then 10k and would rampantly make fun of me for it. So when I talk games with anyone now, I just mention Skyrim, Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed.

My friends find it ridiculous that I try to complete my games, and go for achievements. I try to not talk about it with IRL friends but it always becomes apparent. I just think its funny how people think going for a score on your gamertag is weird but people dumping hundreds upon hundreds of hours into call of duty to prestige isn't. In my eyes those 2 things are extremely similar. Any insight?

This is exactly what it's like for me. My friends don't play for achievements at all, they're very casual gamers. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them never even looked at their own achievement lists. It's probably the reason I ended up here discussing games. Like you, I get the feeling that it becomes apparent to them when we discuss games and I start breaking things down like we do on the site. I'm pretty sure they don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It's kind of like talking to an auto-enthusiast and they start going on and on and you all you know how to do is put gas in a car and drive it, it's kind of pointless and not very interesting. So I do my best not to get into it with them, for the sake of both of our attention spans.

As far as the Call of Duty comment, I also have that. I enjoy the game myself but not like I did years ago and I have friends on my list who only ever play that. And that's fine, they're doing what's fun for them but so often I'd like to recommend something like Battlefield or Far Cry to them because they're far superior but I know they're not going to listen.

No one I know plays games but then, I don't play much myself anymore. And I really stopped caring about achievements 3 years ago. Since then, if I got them, okay. I just stopped trying to get them and started paying for fun instead.

To me, gaming was more fun before they came were made into them.

I have three friends who are also into getting achievements and whoring out easy games. It's good to have people close to you with the same hobby, and also when boosting it's extremely handy. Though I'm almost at 77k now and they are respectively at 16k, 30k and 140K. So there is some difference.

Most of them know, but very little of them do what I do. With the majority we talk about achievements, discuss certain things but they don't really have much interest when it comes to getting them on their own. A few of them enjoy doing what I do and that's always nice, in fact sometimes it means I can have some friendly competition! :)

My friends all know. But they don't mind. None of them are into it themselves. My mate with the highest score has 26,000g and that's after 4 years. My bro denies he is into it, but I caught him out. He started going on about his 4000g after 2 months of owning a 360, then shut up when I said I was fast approaching 80,000g. He then told me I was sad. So I asked him what he thought about Stallion and Smrnov. Shut him up a treat when he realised that 80,000g and 800,000g are worlds apart.

I keep it to myself except for a few people that I go for achievements. My brother kind of goes for achievements, we both try to 100% games we like.

The only person that gives me any grief is my roommate who thinks it's dumb. The other day he said "what does it show at the end of the day? A high number that means nothing." I just ignore him, when I do respond to him I say it's no different than him getting mad at a video game and throwing a controller or yelling at his girlfriend while doing co-op. Every game he plays seems to be "broken" causing him to mess up or lose.