Campaign Challenges (â la Reach)

So, if the new game (CE:A) is basically porting the multiplayer (via a second disc like ODST?) from Reach, and using the same servers...

... do you think/believe/know that they will have campaign challenges like they did for Reach? Like kill 60 grunts/elites, maybe some LASO stuff, etc.

I think that it's really cool how I can keep my rank, though. Hopefully I won't quit before (finally) making it to those higher ranks (currently a Colonel). And hey, maybe they'll add some new armor for the armory (like the BOB/GRD from the defiant map pack)

Edited by Vectorman953

I don't think the challenges for Reach are going to carry over to CEA because not everybody who owns Reach will own CEA. It would be nice to see CEA do it's own set of daily and weekly challenges, but I don't think the Campaign is at all tied to the obtaining of credits like Reach was. I think it's simply the campaign it's always been and the Reach MP is thrown in on the side.

if i remember correctly there is only one disk with the game on it and a code to redeem a map pack for the classic multiplayer

I'm sorry, but I don't think I understand. Where exactly would I be using/entering this code for? For map packs for my halo reach disc? If there is only one disc (unlike ODST) then what would I need the code for?)

I don't think the challenges for Reach are going to carry over to CEA because not everybody who owns Reach will own CEA. It would be nice to see CEA do it's own set of daily and weekly challenges, but I don't think the Campaign is at all tied to the obtaining of credits like Reach was. I think it's simply the campaign it's always been and the Reach MP is thrown in on the side.

This is true, but it seems rather strange to me that you could/would earn credits from multiplayer, and presumably firefight too but not the campaign. Although I guess if you aren't wearing the custom armor (since you're obviously supposed to be master chief) it wouldn't really matter.

Even more so, I think it's interesting that in a bungie FAQ I read, they declared that the BOB/GRD helmet is of 343i creation, to distribute how they please and such. After all, they did give out the blue/eternal flame effect way after the release of the game, and that affected the armory...

Edited by Vectorman953

Where exactly would I be using/entering this code for? For map packs for my halo reach disc? If there is only one disc (unlike ODST) then what would I need the code for?)

The code downloads a DLC map pack that puts the 7 CEA maps into Halo: Reach. It also adds new multiplayer achievements to Reach. CEA's on-disc multiplayer will only gives access to the 7 CEA maps and CEA-specific playlists, NOT the complete Reach multiplayer.

To be frank, CEA is not to Reach what ODST was to Halo 3.

This is true, but it seems rather strange to me that you could/would earn credits from multiplayer, and presumably firefight too but not the campaign.

Campaign uses the original Combat Evolved engine, not the Reach engine. They didn't update it at all, so there will be no new features like challenges, scoring, credits, etc. Matchmaking and Firefight give credits because they use the Reach engine.

Edited by Veedrock

So I guess this means that in order to get the full scope of matchmaking, I would have to use my Reach disc :c

The switching between to two is going to get quite annoying.

Campaign uses the original Combat Evolved engine, not the Reach engine. They didn't update it at all, so there will be no new features like challenges, scoring, credits, etc. Matchmaking and Firefight give credits because they use the Reach engine.

Very true. I guess I just thought that if they could add skulls and terminals to their own engine (since one side it the original engine, and upon hitting the back button it's the 343i one that runs parallel) that adding credits would not be that hard.

This is especially true of the skulls modifiers. The credits aren't exactly intrusive to the coding, as it is just the game going "well, you just killed someone with a grenade. 4cr."

Not sure if my idea makes sense

Edited by Vectorman953
grammar!

Very true. I guess I just thought that if they could add skulls and terminals to their own engine (since one side it the original engine, and upon hitting the back button it's the 343i one that runs parallel) that adding credits would not be that hard.

This is especially true of the skulls modifiers. The credits aren't exactly intrusive to the coding, as it is just the game going "well, you just killed someone with a grenade. 4cr."

Not sure if my idea makes sense

Yeah what you're saying makes sense and is reasonable but misses something. The kicker is that graphics engine that adds the newer graphics, terminals, and skulls/effects is simply an overlaying modifier to the classic engine. That's why it can be toggled on and off on a whim. If the classic engine wasn't there, that graphics engine wouldn't be able to do anything.

However, to add credits and challenges would require the Reach engine to be integrated in with the classic engine, which is complicated if not impossible. Reach is an independent, standalone engine, with its own physics and other advanced settings. It would conflict with the classic engine in every way, to toggle between them would be changing the fabric of the game. It just couldn't overlay with the classic engine without seriously modifying either one.

Hope that makes some sense.

Edited by Veedrock