Some Tips for Career Mode

I am about 2/3rds through the career, and like many others in the forum, I was also having a lot of trouble at first. Now that I have been winning more regularly (although certainly not on the first try most times since I need to see the course first), I can give a few tips below that may assist others with this game:

(1) Go into options and change the camera angle to the farthest away 3rd person view. I found this to be a lot of help because you can get a little more time to see the turns coming up and adjust your speed and angle accordingly. At first, I was using the default closer-in third person view and felt like you don't get enough time to adjust your speed and angle.

(2) Don't just mash on the gas all the time during races. You will either lose control in a turn and spin out or crash, or you end up taking unnecessary jumps that can be avoided. In general, when I hit a jump, I let up on the gas immediately to better control the landing and get going again full throttle. Make your jumps as short as possible so you can get back on the ground and moving. There were several instances in races where the AI opponent was ahead of me, made a huge jump, and I did a small jump and overtook the opponent.

(3) Turning is the hardest part of the game and take your time with it. Using the left thumbstick to control your body's positioning helps a lot. Push up-left and up-right with the left thumbstick through turns to give it that extra cornering ability. You can cut off two or three opponents ahead of you if you take the turn tighter. If you have a very sharp turn coming up, tap the left trigger as you gas through the turn, and you will do a quick slide through the corner. Be careful not to press the left trigger too long though, or you will spin out your sled and slow down.

(4) Use the right sled for the right track. For the Hill Crosses, use the best/upgraded Summit models. For the snow crosses, use the short MX/Adrenaline type sleds to get better maneuverability. You really don't need to upgrade your sleds early on. I did so early on because I thought I needed to in order to win, but I was losing early because I was just not controlling the sled properly. As you get later in the game, the challenge ramps up slightly, and if you already have your $50,000 achievement, go ahead and spend away.

(5) Be sure to choose your driver carefully. I found the driver with the average stats to be...well...average. Choose someone with good stamina and you will see a slight difference in the control quality, especially in longer races. Also, when going for the various stunt achievements, wait until you get a mid-range 800+ M X short track sled and then go into Single Race with Jack Yapp (he has the best strength and ferocity ratings). Using that character and even just a middling sled will nab you every stunt achievement. I can't take credit for this tip, as an FYI. Someone else in these threads (KILLSHOT666) was kind enough to post this tip about the character choice tip.

(6) Don't get frustrated. It is easy to get pissed because this shitty game is cheap and you can get knocked off your sled for some really dumb stuff, but once you really take your time with it, the game gets easier. Again, I am only 2/3rds through the game so I am sure it gets tougher, but these tips have helped cut down the restart times a lot.

These threads for the game are pretty dead right now, so feel free to message me anytime for those of you who rent it later and need any tips on the achievements. Also, this game is not a 1 or 2/10 for the full 1000. At a minimum, I call this game a 3 or 4 out of 10. Be warned for those of you renting the game.

Edited by HalfEVILmonkey

• 3 months later...

If anyone else has played a forza game the control tactics are a lot like it. Like he said you can't just go flying through the course with the gas down, but I have seen so far that you don't really need to use the brakes. And once you get the feel for when and how to adjust your body positioning turning will be so much easier.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...