Mahjong Medals Guide

Xenolith666

Microsoft Mahjong Medals Guide

Here's a quick guide to attaining the 20 medals in the WP8 version of Microsoft Mahjong. There are 2 achievements tied to earning 10 and 20 medals as seen below. You will also earn other achievements as you go; they are noted in the guide.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/achievements/2911/16.jpgGaining Recognition 10http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/site/gp-g.png

Earn 10 Medals total across a Windows 8 device and your phone.

http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/achievements/2911/17.jpgMatchmaking Legend 10http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/site/gp-g.png

Earn 20 Medals total across a Windows 8 device and your phone.

1) Castle Crasher: Completed the Castle puzzle without using undo and where your first move is a reshuffle.

The Castle puzzle can be found under the 'hard difficulty' puzzles. Once you load the puzzle; use your 'reshuffle' immediately and then complete the puzzle without using an undo. The green 'reshuffle' icon is found in the bottom left corner of the screen.

2) Space Train: Completed the Train puzzle using the Cosmos theme 5 times.

The Train puzzle is also found under the 'hard difficulty' puzzles. Before you start; change the theme to "Cosmos" (scroll to the right twice to find the theme choices) and finish the Train puzzle. You can use undo's and reshuffles.

3) Climbing the food chain: Completed the following puzzles in sequence: Butterfly, Turtle, Ray, Dragon.

Simply finish the 4 maps in succession: Butterfly (medium), Turtle (easy), Ray (hard), Dragon (hard). You can use undo's and reshuffles to finish. If you fail a puzzle you'll have to restart from the beginning and finish them in a row.

4) All the right moves: Complete 10 puzzles on Hard difficulty without using a reshuffle or undo.

Just complete whatever puzzle you feel most comfortable with on the Hard difficulty. You can choose from the following; Nautilus, Castle, Crossing and Train. It will not count if you use a reshuffle or an undo, you must finish the puzzle in one attempt.

5) Can't win: Reach "No More Moves" three games in a row on three different puzzles.

**Can't Win medal has been fixed on the WP8 as of 11/12/14**

You must fail 3 games in a row on 3 different maps. I would suggesting using maps with high stacks of tiles, or expert puzzles. It is advised to use your reshuffle first, as it increases your chance for failure; you can use undo's if it helps you make bad matches. If you have puzzles you've failed before the patch that are still in the 'Recently Played' tab, you can open them again and the game will fail them again. This will count towards your total.

Also, if you fail 1 or 2 boards and then you have trouble failing a 3rd, you can back out of the puzzle and start a different one and try to fail that. My counter never reset when I tried this after the patch.

6) The Real Tail End: Completed the Nautilus puzzle where the last match you make contains a tile from the tail end of the spiral.

The tail end is on the left side of the Nautilus, basically on the bottom row. Also, the tail end is stacked 3 tiles high.. so remove the top two to reveal what the last tile is and try and save it until the end. Should you find that you have to use that 'tail end' tile to make a match before you finish, you can use your reshuffle. As long as you have a tile in that final spot; a new tile will be placed there.

7) Dragon Slayer: Completed the Dragon Puzzle without using a reshuffle or undo.

The Dragon is the first 'expert difficulty' puzzle. Just complete it in one attempt without using a reshuffle or undo.

8) Photo Finish: Completed a puzzle within three turns after using a reshuffle.

Choose any puzzle on any difficulty you wish and make your moves until you have 3 matches left (6 total tiles). When you reach this point just use a reshuffle and then make the final 3 moves.

9) Go Wild: Made three consecutive matches with wild tiles.

There are 8 wild tiles per puzzle (4 of each color); so 4 possible matches. They are colored differently from normal tiles.. when you first start the game, a tutorial page will show you what the wild tiles are depending on what theme you are using. You basically need 6 of the wild tiles to be showing so you can make 3 matches in a row. **You will also unlock an achievement for completing this medal**

http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/achievements/2911/10.jpgUltimate Matchmaker 10http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/site/gp-g.png

Match 3 sets of wild tiles in a row.

10) Well Traveled: Completed a puzzle while using each of the four different themes.

Simply change the theme (which is on the main screen) and finish a puzzle using each one. The themes are: Tranquility, Cosmos, Autumn Glade and Underwater.

11) Little Wingman: Made 100 matches.

Once you make 100 tile matches this will unlock.

12) Mighty Matchmaker: Made 1000 matches.

Simply make 1000 tile matches.

13) You're basically Cupid: Make 10,000 matches.

This will take some time, but with all the other medals and wins you have to attain for achievements it will come eventually. I think the 'Complex' puzzle has the most possible tile matches.

14) True Expertise: Completed four different puzzles in the expert category.

Considering there are only 4 puzzles in the expert category; and an achievement is tied to it as well.. this should come naturally. The expert puzzles are: Dragon, Ray, Complex and Bramble. **Please see Medal 17**

15) Super Speed Runner: Complete 25 puzzles in under 3 minutes each.

Most of the 'easy difficulty' puzzles can be completed relatively quickly. If you are struggling with this you can abuse the 'hint button' to no end. To access this menu during a game, tap the screen (but not on a tile) and a side menu will pop up; the 'hint' icon is the lightbulb.

Otherwise you can use the 'back button' trick. When in a puzzle, hit the 'back button' on the phone and it will exit the puzzle; you can now enter back into the puzzle (your progress is saved) but the clock stops. You can then map out your next moves, rinse and repeat. (*you can also use this to finish a puzzle under 2 minutes for the respective achievement*)

I've found the 'Fortress' puzzle goes the fastest (for me at least); obviously you can use whatever puzzle you wish.

16) Quick Thinker: Made 5 matches in under 15 seconds.

This should come through natural play; just make 5 matches as fast as you can.

17) Master Scuba Diver: Completed 4 expert puzzles using the underwater theme.

Simply change the theme to 'underwater' and complete the 4 expert puzzles. It is recommended you complete this and Medal 14 at the same time.

18) Man of the Hour: Acquired at least 60 minutes total play time on each difficulty.

This will come naturally; you can check your time accrued on the 'Statistics' page. Enter whichever difficulty stats you wish to see and scroll to the bottom and you will see "total game time".

19) Wind Waker: Using the Tranquility theme, matched the following tiles in sequence: N, E, S, W.

Load up the Tranquility theme and a puzzle of your choosing; and match the directional tiles in order of North, East, South and West. There are generally twice as many of these tiles compared to most numbers. Each direction has 4 tiles each. Just make the matches in order of the medals' description to unlock this.

I have noticed that the 'Castle' puzzle on Hard difficulty seems to have twice as many directional tile matches.. so if you're struggling try this puzzle.

20) Pro Landscaper: Completed the Bramble puzzle 20 times.

Bramble is an 'expert difficulty' puzzle. You can use undo's and reshuffles if you have to; just as long as you complete the puzzle 20 times. If you didn't do it already; you will also get the following achievement (it is recommended you do these at the same time)

http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/achievements/2911/6.jpgForce of Habit 10http://www.xboxachievements.com/images/site/gp-g.png

Complete the same puzzle 20 times.

Edited by Xenolith666

good guide. I would be more descriptive for wind walker. Also it might be good to include the win 8 10 medals as they contribute to these achievements. Some of them are much faster than working on these medals.

I updated the wind waker to be a touch more descriptive.. i can't seem to find the windows 8 version medals.. i don't have a windows 8 device besides my phone

I updated the wind waker to be a touch more descriptive.. i can't seem to find the windows 8 version medals.. i don't have a windows 8 device besides my phone

Oh OK. Well if you want to add them I will list them here. Otherwise, they can just serve to help others in the comments.

1. Speed Runner - Complete a puzzle in under 3 minutes
  2. Turtle Tamer - Complete the Turtle puzzle for the first time
  3. Newbie - Complete the turotial
  4. Tail End - Complete the Nautilus puzzle without reshuffling or using an undo
  5. Close Call - Match a pair of lightning tiles with only one move left before they explode
  6. You're Basically Cupid - Match 10,000 tiles
  7. Save the Best for Last - Clear the board with golden tiles being the last match on the board.
  8. Faster than Fast - Complete the Match Count Daily challenge with at least 1 minute left on the clock
  9. A Little Help, Please - Complete an entire puzzle using the "Show Available Tiles" option.
  10. All The Right Moves - Complete 10 puzzles on Hard difficulty without using a reshuffle or undo

Though it is possible to meet the requirements for some of these medals while playing windows phone (a couple of them are actually acheivements on WP), the progress will not sync so they must be done on Windows 8. Once you complete the medal however, it will sync with the medal counters for the achievements on Windows Phone.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

For the Wind Walker achievement, the tranquility theme for me has a bunch of Chinese looking characters. I can guess which set of 4 they are, but to me they look like faces more than letters and I can't tell which is which. Am I missing something?

• 2 years later...