Is there a manual save feature and im not seeing it?

tpb

One thing I really liked about Bioshock was that it was difficult, but I could save whenever I wanted... Have they removed that and now its just an autosave game? Or is it that I just cant find it in the menus (entirely possible).

Really? I guess that's better than nothing... Im kinda a hoarder in games and want to conserve ammo, etc... (damn you resident evil for making me this way. lol).

Not the end of the world but would have been nice if they had included it again. Thanks guys :)

'Twas a dick move getting rid of manual saves (all games need them IMO), but alas we must 'deal with it.'

See i'd disagree with you there... manual saves just allow you to save the second you do something good and continue there. Makes it way too easy and takes the challenge away.

See i'd disagree with you there... manual saves just allow you to save the second you do something good and continue there. Makes it way too easy and takes the challenge away.

Not a classic FPS gamer I take it? You were born and raised in the checkpoint only era of games, ala CoD weren't you? See you'd understand if you were like me. Older games were designed so that the player makes use of them not for an advantage, but for planning. Sure that brings an advantage, but advantages are good, unless you're some kind of elitist. Also just because they are there, doesn't mean you have to use them.

Not a classic FPS gamer I take it? You were born and raised in the checkpoint only era of games, ala CoD weren't you? See you'd understand if you were like me. Older games were designed so that the player makes use of them not for an advantage, but for planning. Sure that brings an advantage, but advantages are good, unless you're some kind of elitist. Also just because they are there, doesn't mean you have to use them.

Hahahahaha please, I've had almost every console available since the megadrive, and I've played every genre of fps you can throw at me. So dont assume im some random who was raised on cod.

Its my personal opinion. I find manual saves to be tedious and simply a way for people to just get out of a hard fight by saving every time they do something good. It was one of the things I didnt like about fallout.

I find auto saves and checkpoints to simply be more rewarding because you know you've accomplished it. Can you imagine the final battle if you could manually save in between waves?

It was one of the things I didnt like about fallout.

I lost all respect for your opinion after this sentence. Fallout is an RPG. Do you know how tedious it would be if you couldn't control your saves or choices? Very. There is a reason for this system. I bet most people like you hate manual saves because you forget to make them and then bitch because the game didn't hold your hand.

Manual saves would make 1999 Mode to easy because someone could just save right before entering a battle.

Thats... kind of the idea.

I lost all respect for your opinion after this sentence. Fallout is an RPG. Do you know how tedious it would be if you couldn't control your saves or choices? Very. There is a reason for this system. I bet most people like you hate manual saves because you forget to make them and then bitch because the game didn't hold your hand..

Ugh... Didn't explain that right. I understand the use of the manual save system in an RPG like fallout, I used it obviously. What I didn't like about it (and the point I'm putting across about Bioshock) is that's it is the perfect example.

If you were at a difficult part you could literally just go save, go 5 feet, save, go another 5, etc etc.

Ugh... Didn't explain that right. I understand the use of the manual save system in an RPG like fallout, I used it obviously. What I didn't like about it (and the point I'm putting across about Bioshock) is that's it is the perfect example.

If you were at a difficult part you could literally just go save, go 5 feet, save, go another 5, etc etc.

What is wrong with that? Some people aren't as talented at games so having a manual save system would allow people to play as they see fit. If you don't want to abuse the save system then don't. Just because its there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I've played fallout, the newest two are more of a PFS than a RPG in my opinion.

Anyways, people don't need manual saves for all games, this has enough autosaves that I believe everyone can get the hell over it.

That being said, the complains here are pointless, this is a topic ASKING if there was a manual save or not. There should have been a single post in here, with something along the lines of "no there isn't" and that should have ended it.

Now it's you two arguing with each other, which is pointless. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, they don't all match, and no one cares about yours.

Let me ask you guys this? Why in the fuck doesn't the autosave just overwrite itself over and over again like any normal autosave? Instead I'm seeing nearly 30 fucking auto saves on my hdd and I have to click on each one just to see the date and delete the older ones.

Also save anywhere doesn't make the game easier unless you abuse it, that's a stupid argument in and of itself. Anyone who disagrees must love this autosave mediocrity.

Let me ask you guys this? Why in the fuck doesn't the autosave just overwrite itself over and over again like any normal autosave? Instead I'm seeing nearly 30 fucking auto saves on my hdd and I have to click on each one just to see the date and delete the older ones.

Those autosaves are used in order to replay chapters of the game when you're done you can load a checkpoint and play from there, when you delete the autosaves you delete all those checkpoints.

I'm not sure why it goes about it that way, other games don't do that and allow games to do checkpoints, this one for some reason doesn't. They fudged the system really good for this.

The rest of your comment was useless so it was removed.

Those autosaves are used in order to replay chapters of the game when you're done you can load a checkpoint and play from there, when you delete the autosaves you delete all those checkpoints.

I'm not sure why it goes about it that way, other games don't do that and allow games to do checkpoints, this one for some reason doesn't. They fudged the system really good for this.

The rest of your comment was useless so it was removed.

I had a feeling this is why it is the way it is, but regardless, I don't like having an excess of 30 saves and not knowing which ones I can and can't delete.

Either way it was a poor call on IR's part. They should have just allowed us to save anywhere and avoid this nonsense. Now when I finish the game and only want to keep the latest save file as a back up to the cloud and my usb stick, I'm going to have to search through 100 saves to find it I bet.

Stupid move either way.

I had a feeling this is why it is the way it is, but regardless, I don't like having an excess of 30 saves and not knowing which ones I can and can't delete.

Either way it was a poor call on IR's part. They should have just allowed us to save anywhere and avoid this nonsense. Now when I finish the game and only want to keep the latest save file as a back up to the cloud and my usb stick, I'm going to have to search through 100 saves to find it I bet.

Stupid move either way.

I can get over the fact that it only autosaves, it has enough of them that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone. But the fact that it creates a new save every time is right proper stupid.

At the end of the game I think there's exactly 30 saves, I think when you go back into an area, it resaves over that autosave for that same area, like when you go into the good times hotel or whatever it is, if you constantly dart between leaving and entering, there's an autosave in the good times hotel as well as in ... hmmm ... whatever that place is called, I believe it replaces the good time hotel save everytime you reenter the hotel, same when you leave, everytime you leave it replaces the save for that area as well.

I'm not sure why they created so many, there should be a check point thing set up like in most games, for example Gears of War, when you beat it there's a single save and you can go to any checkpoint in the game as you wish, this should be set up that way too. I'm not sure why it isn't, it's not like it's some technical breakthrough that only a few companies have made.

I can get over the fact that it only autosaves, it has enough of them that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone. But the fact that it creates a new save every time is right proper stupid.

At the end of the game I think there's exactly 30 saves, I think when you go back into an area, it resaves over that autosave for that same area, like when you go into the good times hotel or whatever it is, if you constantly dart between leaving and entering, there's an autosave in the good times hotel as well as in ... hmmm ... whatever that place is called, I believe it replaces the good time hotel save everytime you reenter the hotel, same when you leave, everytime you leave it replaces the save for that area as well.

I'm not sure why they created so many, there should be a check point thing set up like in most games, for example Gears of War, when you beat it there's a single save and you can go to any checkpoint in the game as you wish, this should be set up that way too. I'm not sure why it isn't, it's not like it's some technical breakthrough that only a few companies have made.

Thanks for clearing a lot of that up for me, I really appreciate it! :)

It's not like it's going to take anything away from this epic game after all right? I just wish it was handled differently is all. Going to start a fresh run through the game tomorrow been very busy this weekend so it's a travesty I havn't started the game yet.

The way the save files appear on your hard drive is a complete mess. Hopefully they can address it in a patch but I'm not holding my breath. I've never seen another game do what they did. There are probably thirty plus files, no titles, you have to click on each one and it shows the time and date. Very stupid. Even deleting them one by one is a chore, not to mention if you have two games going (1999 mode) or another user on the console with their files stacked.

I wish they hadn't gotten rid of them either. I wanted to get off yesterday, but I had to wait almost an hour to hit the next checkpoint, but I fought a hard battle right after the last checkpoint that I didn't want to redo.

PS: I see now that I could have simply gone to a previous area and it would have saved. However, that was impossible, because the previous area was in an unreachable place.

I can't believe there's no manual save. They intentionally left it out for some odd reason. I don't get it, it was in their last game. As for those of you saying it would make the game too "easy" for you... uh, don't use it? And how would that make the game "easier"? If it prevents me from having to replay 10 minutes of exploring or going through a battle I already made it through, then it sounds good to me.

I can get over the fact that it only autosaves, it has enough of them that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

This!

I can't realy understand all the bitching about no manual saves and don't remember seeing threads like this on Halo for example.

As long as the checkpoints are utilised well, i prefer them over manualy saving. Just gimme a checkpoint before every firefight and AFTER cutscenes and im fine.

Yes it does, but only with the major chapter select checkpoints, not so for the checkpoints in between (like the one right before the first handyman fight)

But the fact that it creates a new save every time is right proper stupid.

Not realy imho, it's just retarded that they didn't name them by chapters.

I think it has something to do with your gear, upgrades, loot still laying around and so on.

They can't just send you into a chapter with a default set up in a bioshock game, sure that works for Gears or Halo.

So they have to save your progress somewhere.

Would you prefer that they've put it all into one file without access to it except chapter select?

Or even left out the chapter save points and just had one last save?

Imagine the backlash IR would've got if they'd pulled that off.

I think here are quite a few people happy about the ability to revisit parts of the Story and also have their upgrades and stuff.

Like i said, the naming is the actual problem, not that we got multiple save files, when i think about it.... nowadays we should be thankfull for that.

On a side note, noone here had a save file, like, before each and every major Final Fantasy cutscene?

I always started a new save file afterwards so i can rewatch the awesome render sequences if i want to, but maybe that's just a left over when stunning renders were still a rarity in games.

Anyway, i'd love the next final fantasy to do that for me.

Bioshock almost got it perfect imo.

There are a few minor flaws in it.

The Checkpoints in downtown Emporia are missplaced and you might happen to loose a hour worth of looting.

The naming is utter bs, and the fact that all my saves are overwriten by 1999 is crap. Now i just can't change the difficulty if i wanna let a friend play the last chapter or whatever.

Edited by Sabrelord

The way the save files appear on your hard drive is a complete mess. Hopefully they can address it in a patch but I'm not holding my breath. I've never seen another game do what they did. There are probably thirty plus files, no titles, you have to click on each one and it shows the time and date. Very stupid. Even deleting them one by one is a chore, not to mention if you have two games going (1999 mode) or another user on the console with their files stacked.

They won't fix the way the check points are, that would require a large rework and if they did all your saves would be void and you'd have to redo it to reobtain a proper set of saves that were named correctly.

Not realy imho, it's just retarded that they didn't name them by chapters.

Like i said, the naming is the actual problem, not that we got multiple save files, when i think about it.... nowadays we should be thankfull for that.

The naming is utter bs, and the fact that all my saves are overwriten by 1999 is crap. Now i just can't change the difficulty if i wanna let a friend play the last chapter or whatever.

I thought that the saves were actually named by where you were in it IE like it would be named finkton, memorial garden, etc. but without chapter numbers (I don't remember I deleted my first two save sets because I didn't have any desire for them anymore)

I really hated the whole 1999 mode rewriting my normal save set, really uncool. however having 60 saves for a single game sounds a bit unnessary as hell. though I think 30 still is, they should be able to have some way to have a single save with all this information still regardless of the gears and such issue, there should be some way to do so.

I think there should be 2 saves, one save that has all the checkpoints in it like other games do, and another save that ties to it that has your equipment and stats that changes as you play obviously, it should be set for 2 for each game mode IE easy, normal, hard, 1999, whatever 2 saves for each. I would think that wouldn't be that hard to do.