So why do people love COD so much?

gmorra

I like them because the campaigns are always fantastic, and that's why we buy games, for the single player campaign.

Multiplayer is a great bonus, It's (if you get a decent host) highly responsive, good graphics, exciting game modes and fun to play.

I just bought my first CoD game ever today, what a coincedence :) I liked the CoD4 single player so I thought I'd pick up WaW, but I tried the multiplayer and I liked it too. I did pretty well my first couple of rounds, nevermind the fact that it's the 'new players' playlist >.> I like all the options when creating your own class, and the challenges look neat too. Nothing too revolutionary but it all works very well.

I've always liked the way you can use iron sights as opposed to the camera just zooming in a bit on the crosshair. (Think CoD was one of the first FPS games you could do that in).

Nope. Not even close. The first game that used iron sights I can think was Operation Flashpoint, and it was released on 2001, so the idea of iron sights has been around.

I was really surprised how much people praise the singleplayer. Most of my friends who have the game only praise multiplayer, and agree with me that sigleplayer is not so good. Well maybe foreigners like to run on scripted tight pipe with enemies respawning all the time.

Nope. Not even close. The first game that used iron sights I can think was Operation Flashpoint, and it was released on 2001, so the idea of iron sights has been around.

I was really surprised how much people praise the singleplayer. Most of my friends who have the game only praise multiplayer, and agree with me that sigleplayer is not so good. Well maybe foreigners like to run on scripted tight pipe with enemies respawning all the time.

I see what your saying but I still the singleplayer is great. For one the enemies don't respawn more often then they do, it's overall about using cover and the surrounding area to your advantage and planning out your path through an area. So while there's only one way to go through a level, each area can have a variety of ways to tackle it. Not a huge amount of course, but still enough to keep it interesting. Plus the stories and set pieces are pretty epic.

Just a simple question, I don't really understand why it has such a hype. I never hopped on this bandwagon so I don't really get it. Is it becuase of the graphics or gameplay? I dunno?

I'm not being sarcastic either! I really want to truly know.:)

It's really addictive, apparently. I wouldn't know, I just happen to suck at it. (even though I got 1000G in CoD4, I still think I suck. That 1000GS was a fluke)

All online multiplayer is boring as hell. It's always the se after 5 games. It's the same shot over and over.

I hate it. But the single player is good. Same with Gears for me. But then again online mutliplayer is always the same shit. Run and gun and hide. Reheal. Run and gun then hide. Reheal. Oh you won the game. Good job.

And to the people that say it's because we suck is why we don't like it is bullshit. Yeah I might not be good because I don't sit there for hours and hours playing it.

Because of the realism compared to Halo IMO

Halo has a science fiction feel to it , you got spartan lasers , floating vehicles called, powers to make you invisible, etc

However Call of Duty is like , as 4 is called, modern warfare

Most FPS fans will love it as opposed to people who have other interests like me

Completely.

It's the most popular of shooters and shooters are probably the most popular genre. Comparing it with other popular FPS and TPS might help

1. Weapon effects are more realistic, shocking, satisfying than Halo (mechanical weapons cooler than enargy equivalents)

2. Sometimes the futuristic games can be overly soft (everything in Halo was beautiful and colourful, and the grunts are just childish). COD you can blow off limbs, stab people, burn them to death, all amongst ruined buildings

3. More freedom of movement and fast paced than Gears

4. Easier to get in a game than either Halo or Gears

5. More DLC to keep the games going after launch (than for instance Gears)

6. Established control system and fan base

I think because FPS fans love it so much, and talk about it so much, if you communicate with the community at all it is almost impossible to not want to try it. Peer pressure I suppose.

I'm sort of on the fence about this series, really. I liked Call of Duty 3, COD4 made me somewhat angry, and COD: WaW makes me angry because I can't beat the first level. Not because I'm bad at it, but because it always glitches halfway through and says I don't have the neccessary map packs to continue.

All in all, COD3 was definitely my favourite.

Wow, great post guys and thanks for them. You have all inspired me to give this game a try...

...yes it's true, I have never played this game. It always just seemed like another US military cliched type FPS with nothing different to offer but the same run n' gun linear FPS with a different paint job. That and I heard the campaigne was short which for me sucks because I don't really give a damn about mulitplayer and such.

But....

...now I really feel the need to give it a try because it seems to me like it is one of those games that has something about it that you can't pin-point but love soo much! I got the exact feeling with Blacksite: Area 51 and I honestly can't tell you why I loved it sooo much but I really truly did!

So thanks once again everyone!:drunk