Warranty question about used systems

lozerbick

My system red-ringed recently and it was older than 3 years so it wasnt covered under the Microsoft warranty anymore. Instead of buying a refurbed system from Microsoft for $120, my fiancée bought me a barebones used system from a store.

The manufacturing date for this used system is 1/12/2009, but when I registered it on the Microsoft it said it was past the 3-year period. If I call to dispute the warranty, will they reset my warranty starting from the manufacturing date?

This is kind of a gray area honestly.

The dates that xbox.com gives based on the serial numbers are 100% wonky. With my recent red ring they first told me it was past three years, then it wasn't, then it was, and then it wasn't. So don't always go by what the website says [unless it's in your favor].

I know Microsoft can and do cover used systems. I'd referred plenty of customers who'd bought a used system to Microsoft support and they assisted them just fine. I just wouldn't necessarily wave that in their face if you do, in fact, have to call them. They're usually a lot more apt to listen if you tell them it was gifted from a friend or family member as opposed to telling them you bought it from a retailer / pawn shop used.

Also, in addition, sometimes getting your system repaired is just a war of attrition. We bought a friend of mine a used 360 back when Halo 3 came out. His finally crashed this past winter. Well past the three year mark on his system, but after two or three calls to support, they finally took his system back and fixed it for him. Always be persistent with them. Period.