Price of next gen games.

Kite87

your from america... game prices are the same for you.? :p

I'm aware. But the console itself is way more expensive than the 360 was at it's launch and even if the game prices went up in other countries, I'm still not surprised. I'm actually shocked the games are staying the same price in the US.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware. But the console itself is way more expensive than the 360 was at it's launch and even if the game prices went up in other countries, I'm still not surprised. I'm actually shocked the games are staying the same price in the US.

Taking inflation into account, the Xbox 360 2005 launch price today is something like $50 cheaper than the Xbox One launch price. And the Xbox One launch price includes the Kinect,

incorrect, the console is of comparable price in fact the premium 360 back then costed 399$, only the basic version costed 299, so the console itself without kinect would have been sold for, likely, 399$

also the RRP has not changed at all for games

Although the RRP is £49.99, there's no doubt that retailers will soon look to undercut each other and we'll soon see Xbox One games for the same price we currently see for 360 games. Perhaps not at launch, but maybe 6 months to a year down the line.

Also important to consider that many online stockists in the UK are already closer to the £39.99. ShopTo and Argos have some good prices already listed.

Will be interested to see what the likes of GAME, HMV and BlockBuster charge!

Although the RRP is £49.99, there's no doubt that retailers will soon look to undercut each other and we'll soon see Xbox One games for the same price we currently see for 360 games. Perhaps not at launch, but maybe 6 months to a year down the line.

Also important to consider that many online stockists in the UK are already closer to the £39.99. ShopTo and Argos have some good prices already listed.

Will be interested to see what the likes of GAME, HMV and BlockBuster charge!

argos have their games listed at £61.99 or £54.99. there are only 3 games worth £43.99. and i really hope other retailers choose normal prices

argos have their games listed at £61.99 or £54.99. there are only 3 games worth £43.99. and i really hope other retailers choose normal prices

No game would ever be worth £61.99, I highly doubt that price will stick. Not that Argos are the best place to buy from most of the time. (Sometimes a deal will pop up on hotukdeals)

You bloody plonkers the console isn't due out for months when it gets closer to the date you'll see a drop of £49.99 to £39.99. If i remember correctly wasn't 360 games about £45-50 when it was first released? Possibly testing the waters. If people buy the games at a higher price that will become the standard if you say fuck that and nobody buys them it'll go straight back down now stop worrying eh.

But then again this only affects day one buyers. The only thing I'm getting day 1 is that absolutely sexy pad. That's gonna be a right beauty for my pc and it's emulated games :D

No game would ever be worth £61.99, I highly doubt that price will stick. Not that Argos are the best place to buy from most of the time. (Sometimes a deal will pop up on hotukdeals)

I'm not sure I could ever justify paying £61.99 for a video game.. unless I told myself I wouldn't even look at another game for a month ;)

Swear Argos had 5 or 6 titles listed at £43.99 a couple of weeks ago, must have imagined it!

I'm not sure I could ever justify paying £61.99 for a video game.. unless I told myself I wouldn't even look at another game for a month ;)

Swear Argos had 5 or 6 titles listed at £43.99 a couple of weeks ago, must have imagined it!

There are definitely a few games i would have paid over what i paid for them. Games such as Borderlands 2 and Battlefield 3. The amount of time i have poured into them is unreal.

Having to pay £429 just for the console, then £50 per game is completely ridiculous. You're talking almost £500 ($750) just to get up and running. I won't be paying that price and hopefully it'll come down after Christmas. I'd pay £400 max for a bundle edition.

I pre order my Xbox one and a couple of games at Game just to guarantee getting one at a midnight launch. There current prices online is £55 which is more than the rrp. My experience is they usually charge more in store. I'm hoping they drop the prices in line with other retailers before the launch but I won't hold my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

And before anyone says "OMG THATS A RIP OFF" It's no different on Steam and other digital distribution for new releases.

That's something I always find funny when digital games are discussed, someone goes "ZOMG STEAM DOES AMAZING SALES" which is true but otherwise they cost close to, if not full, price (depending on if it's AAA or not).

Digital games will cost just as much as a normal game at launch. 60 dollars.

And before anyone says "OMG THATS A RIP OFF" It's no different on Steam and other digital distribution for new releases.

So much for them trying to make things better for us... which is what they said their goal was with online distribution this coming generation. What with manufacturing, packaging, and distribution costs, $60 is acceptable for a brand new game. But with a digital copy those costs don't exist, which means they're just pocketing that money. Why not pass those savings on to us?

Saying "it's no different than Steam" doesn't make it right. If we start seeing massive sales like Steam does that might make the pill easier to swallow, but whether that will happen or not remains to be seen.

So much for them trying to make things better for us... which is what they said their goal was with online distribution this coming generation. What with manufacturing, packaging, and distribution costs, $60 is acceptable for a brand new game. But with a digital copy those costs don't exist, which means they're just pocketing that money. Why not pass those savings on to us?

Saying "it's no different than Steam" doesn't make it right. If we start seeing massive sales like Steam does that might make the pill easier to swallow, but whether that will happen or not remains to be seen.

Do you work for a Developer/Publisher? or know what costs they are paying personally? or have any sources to your statement?

If so, please share and enlighten us :)

Do you work for a Developer/Publisher? or know what costs they are paying personally? or have any sources to your statement?

If so, please share and enlighten us :)

No, no, and basic knowledge of economics.

EDIT: Quick google search brought up a Kotaku article I remember reading about years ago.

What Your $60 Really Buys

http://the-games-master.com/game-files/2010/02/Anatomy-60-dollar-video-game.jpg

Seven dollars of a $60 video game purchase covers expenses for games never even sold. That's according to a breakdown of retail game cost by an on-demand games service.

OnLive, of Palo Alto, Calif., says that $7 covers, on average, "returns." That's the cost associated with returning unsold inventory - essentially, sales that don't meet expectations. By this analysis it is equivalent to the royalty paid to the platform holder - Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony.

By far the largest portion is to the publisher, nearly half of it. As it should be. But 25 percent of a game's cost is the profit to the seller. That is a very nice margin, and it - plus the fudge factor on the returns, hint at how discounts on some new games can be justified even at release.

SOURCE

Edited by dakisbac