can this replace a gym?

iiPaDFooT

I canceled my gym membership --- $45.00/month --- and now I'm just playing these fitness games on Kinect:

-- UFC Personal Trainer

-- Your Shape: Fitness Evolved

-- EA SPORTS Active 2

-- Jillian Michael's Fitness Adventures

-- Self Defense: Training Camp

-- The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout

As long as you push yourself (sometimes tough without the gym environment), you'll do good. These games are definitely not a good replacement for weights or road running, but they will test your endurance and strength at times. And, as long as these "fitness" games keep coming out, I'll stay away from the gym to save the cash.

(NOTE: I am in really, really good shape, so my opinion is certainly biased. If I ever felt like I was losing a step, though, I'd get back in the gym real quick!)

I canceled my gym membership --- $45.00/month --- and now I'm just playing these fitness games on Kinect:

-- UFC Personal Trainer

-- Your Shape: Fitness Evolved

-- EA SPORTS Active 2

-- Jillian Michael's Fitness Adventures

-- Self Defense: Training Camp

-- The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout

As long as you push yourself (sometimes tough without the gym environment), you'll do good. These games are definitely not a good replacement for weights or road running, but they will test your endurance and strength at times. And, as long as these "fitness" games keep coming out, I'll stay away from the gym to save the cash.

(NOTE: I am in really, really good shape, so my opinion is certainly biased. If I ever felt like I was losing a step, though, I'd get back in the gym real quick!)

like I said I already don't get to a gym anymore so it's not like I'll be gettin any less weight training than I already am, and ill definitely keep running. but I'm just not motivated to do anything anymore working overnights. I'm hoping just turning on some music and going for the achievements will keep me going for now. I just needa find a place to set up my kinect now. I don't have much space in my bedroom. the only reason I even have a kinect is cause when I bought my new 360 they were sold out of the ones without kinect. how much space would you say I'd need to make sure the sensor picks up everything, ground, standing, etc.

... These games are definitely not a good replacement for weights...

You can set the EA Sports Active and UFC up to use weights, [all it really does is give you credit for burning extra calories], but if you do use weights [10 lb in each hand for me] it adds a serious burn and feels great when you're done.

I work overnights, sleep in the day, so I don't have time to get to a gym. can this be a good replacement for a gym? all I really do right now is go running cause that's all I can do.

if you do tv workouts & vids. this is much better.

i use all my active games to workout to. heres an idea;

i do ufc, self defense training camp. for workouts. find most workouts generally boring.

so use dancing games. great for cardio,fun & works out every muscle.

i have over 20 kinect games. most are energetic, ie KS extra. i havent done a gym in decades & in great shape!

i was a fitness instructor back in the 80s. i teach karate now.

with all the tv workouts out there. this is really no different. so stop paying expensive gym fees for no reason.

the only people who do gyms now are lazy people. they need the encouragement.

which you could organise on xbl :). get a bunch of us together & talk to eachother as we workout. simple as that for suport group :)

You definitely need to have a space that's between 6-8 feet away from the sensor for best results... And probably about 4' side-to-side.

this is exactly how big my apartment is.

kinect works great! so ya you can get 6' close but i stand at about 7'. kinect on top of tv adds a foot distance.

i have 4' each side = 8 feet accross total. have no proablems sxcept ufc pushups. i have to face kinect & my head & shoulders are red.

other than that, it works great!

• 1 month later...
...the only people who do gyms now are lazy people. they need the encouragement.

Sorry dude, but this is simply an ignorant statement. Gyms serve a purpose to motivate people and provide them exposure to various types of equipment and exercise routines they otherwise would be unaware of. We dropped the gym last fall, be ause we are fortunate enough to have room for a squat rack, bench, elliptical, bike, power tower, Kinect, etc., in our basement, but many are not. But i have to say that the 5 years the wife and I spent going to the gym every morning changed our lives and set on on a path to better fitness and health. We were hardly lazy and worked our asses off! My wife even considered becoming a CPT and competing in fitness competitions. My 2 cents.

• 2 months later...

Buy some dumbbells and you´re ready to go! I have been training since i was 16-17 (22 today). I never been fat, i had the opposite problem, i was extremely thin. To build muscle for me is a real pain in the ass as of today i´m pretty happy:) I´m now, from being the most thin dude on the beach to being the one with, not most muscles but certainly top 10%. I have never hit the gym. Just used a bench and dumbbells all the way from the start to now. I love to workout my muscles however i hate to run, biking, walking and so on. And if you don´t do cardio training at all the chance is to get fit overall but with that little beer bully. And here kinect is my savior. It´s the only thing i used for cardio sence it´s release and i love it. Have been using all of the games for variation and still are:) And ufc is one of the top games, it can really give you a run.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...