How to beat the game in under an hour.

JaxTH

This is my playthrough of Sonic 2. It's not my best run (I made tons of mistakes and even died once, which is actually good for you people who are gonna watch this...) but I still beat the game in under an hour. Included in this is beating Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in under 35 seconds and also beating Chemical Plant Zone Act 1 in under 45 seconds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpupu5MAJs]YouTube- Sonic the Hedgehog 2[/ame]

I don't go for any Chaos Emeralds in my run. If you want those then refer to these two videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Idu3xLGeo&feature=player_embedded]YouTube- Sonic 2 - All Chaos Emeralds on Emerald Hill Zone (Part 1)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaRjidM9YN4&feature=player_embedded]YouTube- Sonic 2 - All Chaos Emeralds on Emerald Hill Zone (Part 2)[/ame]

Watch. Learn. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very beatable in under an hour, just run your first stages fast and it'll give you a great buffer. I just finished the regular game, did my 2 chaos emerald achievements first, then went back and got my conquering time and finish the game, and 2 fast time achievements. The 4 stage vs. achievement is easiest done by yourself with 2 controllers.

Still working on the Xbox Live Racer achievement. If anyone is trying to boost, feel free to message me and we'll knock it out.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this achievement and I must say it's easier and harder than I expected. I thought I may struggle to get under an hour but I easily finished it in under 45 minutes. However, it was difficult/frustrating at times because I was trying to use a speen run video as a guide and the person who recorded it was far better than me.

Here are the videos that I used:

Part 1 - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb6ORAW3-MQ]YouTube- Sonic 2 - SPEED RUN - Part 1[/ame]

Part 2 - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8n1rDRPpTY&feature=related]YouTube- Sonic 2 - SPEED RUN - Part 2[/ame]

Part 3 - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpryYBlPoJA&feature=related]YouTube- Sonic 2 - SPEED RUN - Part 3[/ame]

This guy finished the game in 18:12 (according to his video) so if you aim for at least quicker than 3x his times on each level you should make it.

Personally, I aimed for 2x and managed it on every level except for Metropolis Act 3. He used little glitches in the game to get past certain parts more quickly and in that level I just couldn't seem to get the glitch to work. However, as long as you've had good times for the other levels you should be fine.

Also, take everybody else's advice of saving often. I must have been saving every 5-15 seconds in game time, just to make sure I was running through the level as quickly as I could while sticking as close as possible to the time of this guy who again, is far better than me. In fact, he's probably far better than anybody else ever. It's quite unreal :p

Just finished this one up, basically you just have to finish each level in under 3 minutes. Which for most is very easy, I ended up doing it in around 40-45 minutes, while messing up quite a lot. Save every time you get a hit on the final 2 bosses, as you will have no rings so you don't want to keep dying/restarting and adding more time.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this, this is much more helpful than the regular speed runs posted in the guide (like 18 min one). Yours is more realistic and you go routes most people can handle. This will help let people feel more at ease while they play instead of reloading a save 20+ times trying to do it perfect like the video for 18 minutes. That video is not a guide, but more of a show-off video which is extremely hard to mimic. I stopped at Chem Plant 2, as at the start he seems to be able to have this door open (I have no clue how, I tried exactly what he was doing) and just by moving to the left, was able to spin down instead of straight through a different route. Again, I tried for maybe 45 minutes with no luck. So instead I just beat the level regular. Thanks for posting this video, it serves as a reminder to aim for maybe 45-50 minutes, not 18 which is quite difficult for anyone to follow.

I stopped at Chem Plant 2, as at the start he seems to be able to have this door open (I have no clue how, I tried exactly what he was doing) and just by moving to the left, was able to spin down instead of straight through a different route. Again, I tried for maybe 45 minutes with no luck. So instead I just beat the level regular.

I had the same trouble, but as I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to beat the game unless I was very close to his time I kept on trying. I tried doing the level without that shortcut and it took ages.

I think it just had something to do with how fast he got there. Like, I think it's in 7 second on the game clock or something that he reaches that door, and when he pushes against it he can get through. I was making it there usually around 3/4 seconds after him and it never opened. Eventually I did it in the same time and the door opened saving me loads of time on that level. Obviously if you got the achievement without that though it was unnecessary ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting this, this is much more helpful than the regular speed runs posted in the guide (like 18 min one). Yours is more realistic and you go routes most people can handle. This will help let people feel more at ease while they play instead of reloading a save 20+ times trying to do it perfect like the video for 18 minutes. That video is not a guide, but more of a show-off video which is extremely hard to mimic. I stopped at Chem Plant 2, as at the start he seems to be able to have this door open (I have no clue how, I tried exactly what he was doing) and just by moving to the left, was able to spin down instead of straight through a different route. Again, I tried for maybe 45 minutes with no luck. So instead I just beat the level regular. Thanks for posting this video, it serves as a reminder to aim for maybe 45-50 minutes, not 18 which is quite difficult for anyone to follow.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wish they had the time appear on the save..

Does the time accumulate if you reload saves and keep retrying areas? Or is it an in-game time

Don't know how I didn't earn this on my first play through when I went for the Chaos emeralds.. Earning the emeralds burned time, but thought playin as Super Sonic would save me alot of time in other levels?

meh

• 3 weeks later...

well if you wanna get the achievement the easy way.........All you have to do is play a level and get a good time then press pause and save. Rinse and repeat for every level. To beat the game in under an hour you will have to beat every level in 3 minutes, but you should not exceed 3 minute times tell after oil ocean. I just got the achievement doing this. It is not the legit way, but it is the easy way for people who aren't crazy good and sonic. This way if you happen to die just load from the beginning of the level.

• 4 weeks later...