What was your single most infuriating moment of COD2 Veteran?

edw211

For me, it would have to be the Silo level where you have to clear out 6 buildings. I managed to clear out building A and duck behind the stone wall and got engaged in about a (I shit you not) hour-long firefight with the constantly respawning Nazi's... problem was... I didn't realize they respawned until I looked at the clock and realized I hit the 60 minute mark... I had thought that I could just bait them out of all the buildings and blow them away, making clearing out the houses easier... so yeah.

That single realization that I just wasted the past hour of my life and still had just as many Nazi's to kill compounded upon all the previously bottled up frustration I went through with that game on Vet to produce a wave of pure, unadulterated fury.

Thankfully, that's over now, and I can count COD2 as another notch in my still-bare 100% belt. Overall, not too frustrating an experience. Nowhere near as difficult as finishing COD: Classic on Vet was. I'm working on Vetting COD3 right now, which seems to have ramped up the difficulty a tad from COD2. Getting General is gonna be a bitch though.

I'm interested in hearing what your single most infuriating moment is/was. Think of it as that oh-so-rewarding "good laugh about it afterwards" you probably kept promising yourself in between cursing your balls off like I did.

Happy cheevo hunting,

-Edw211

Edited by edw211

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd really like to complete all the COD games on my gamercard, which would be pretty easy if it wasn't for god damn COD3 and it's ridiculous General achievement.

I finally beat COD3 on Veteran the other day, which I've heard is the worst, so I'm hoping it's smooth sailing from here. Still debating if I want to bother 10th prestiging on World at War. Though, I don't have to worry about that for awhile, since I'm still working on COD4: Modern Warfare. Gonna leave COD3 and its horrible multiplayer for later.

I absolutely love this series for its Nintendo-hardness on Veteran and it's innovative gameplay. I just picked up WAW today and completed my collection, so now it's just a matter of finishing them all.

Fortress Stalingrad - There is a part when you have to take out a tank; that can magically see you through buildings and walls that it hasn't spotted you move into... If I had smokes, this would have been simple BUT yeah, you guessed it, I had none lol. Everytime you get opposite of the tank, it will move away from you... meaning although you're crawling out of site, the tank KNOWS where you're moving as it can see you - even though it can't. However if you run at the tank, you're dead in seconds... if you crawl under it's cannon... it can hit you with it, despite the fact you're stood against the side of the tank where it's impossible to be hit. Took me 40 minutes to take the fucker out :uzi:

I hear ya on that tank part. That's the one that is always on the opposite side of the square to you and keeps moving. Pain in the ass, but I had smoke at least.

Most bloomin annoying bit for me was the final part of the North Africa campaign with the AA gun defense. I didn't know I had to run to the gun and get in straight away and start shooting down the planes so I picked off the remaining Nazis. So i'm lying prone next to the gun when Checkpoint Reached pops. Then i'm immediately blown to hell by the planes flying over. Reloads the checkpoint, I get 2 yards and BOOM. Welcome to a Greek hell! I had to restart the level (which starts with the ambush with the panzerschrecks). Joy.

wow, crapy check point lol, i took out the nazi before the check point so it gave me about 10 sec before the planes killed me lol, i kept looking for them on the anti gunner but couldnt find em, turned out they were infront of me haha.

anyways, im not liking the non-stop-spawning, i think its ok in some parts that you can kill em and it suppose to be too many of them(like in the war) but when theres 4 guyz that keep spawning is annoying you kill em, they spawn, booo.

My game was glitched on this one lvl were you have tanks in a city like thing, were the check point the guyz go, "Look ouut, its a tank!!" "oi! those are ouwwer tanks." and when i followed them there were non-stop-spawning infront and behind me at all times, i even cleared a corner and checked to make sure NO ONE could get behind me and low and behold, they spawn behind me! i got so mad i stopped playing, i finally decided to play it again some time later after i cleared my cache and it didnt happen when i tried again so hopefully ill get the full 1k soon

• 2 weeks later...

for me the most frustrating part was on the town square in the afrika mission. The first checkpoint i got fairly easy (the ambush) the townsquare i now know by heart. I probably did that checkpoint a hundred times. Im never touching the game ever again.

Everyone goes on about defending Hill 400, D-Day and The Silo but hands down, the only part of the game that had me ready to throw my controller through the screen was capturing objective E (the German Headquarters) in The Battle for Caen. I died so many times it was unbelievable.

It wasn't actually too bad once I got the method down, but I spent hours trying to go round the hedge to the right and advance through the gap with the help of smoke grenades. If I actually got anywhere near the house without getting killed (which was very rare) I would just get owned by the sodding Germans coming out of it, all of this without a single checkpoint.

After an age of fruitless trying I decided to go down the left through a building. Lo and behold I actually got a checkpoint just before assaulting the house and the Germans downstairs didn't seem to spawn as much when I came from that side. I'd recommend this route to anyone who's having trouble with this part.

Unfortunately though, my troubles weren't over as once I'd done the downstairs which was bloody hard i had to go and take the first floor as well, which was an absolute ball ache as the Nazis would just camp up there and fill me full of holes as soon as I venture up the stairs. All this happening as my allies just stand downstairs and do nothing as I repeatedly run up to my death. Absolutely horrible, I got lucky just spamming the smoke grenades and camping, as I noticed that they seem to make the enemy AI go a bit mental and start rushing you so you can just pick them off.

Godawful mission, but felt great once it was done!

• 2 months later...

Having just completed the game tonight I can now say that I wholeheartedly agree with Flugruger. That last checkpoint took me forever!!! There were a number of parts where I died but I eventually devised strategies of how to overcome the challenge that I was facing. Glad to finally be done!

House E sucked! I might have given up if I hadn't read Flugruger's post a few days ago about getting a checkpoint in the house to the left. I still hadn't done house A, and after FINALLY clearing out house E, I didn't get a checkpoint - probably because its supposed to be the last one you clear. Anyways, I was nearly shitting myself trying to get back to house A without dying, hoping to get a checkpoint.

Feels good to get the full 1000, but this was still way easier than World at War.

This house in France at the end of the level ... made me almost went crazy ! Must have tried it about 20 times, trying new tactics. Finally i just smoked everything there, ran upstairs and shot all the guys by the doors who had followed me. First floor was conquered by the A.I. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus.. I'm right where you were at OP. Fired this game up after like a 4 year absence. Have been going through older games, finishing them off. Figured I'd give this one a go.

Restarted where I had left off -- The Silo. Managed the first part no problems... got into House A, after a few tries of figuring out where everyone was at. Theres a guy on the top floor -- You get hit a few times and it gives you time to back away and "heal", but this guy on the top floor... he hits you like twice and you're done... and he's the LAST guy in that house.

Anyways, got past that and did what the OP did, kinda hung out behind the wall. Killing off enemies, I'd move out towards the crate & die. I'd stand pat and die. I died like 30-50 times just at this part. Finally, took the disc out and realized why I stopped playing it so long ago. 2 hours of frustrating hell, and I only managed to move about 100 yards. No more.

Ok... I went back at it about 30 minutes after I wrote my message and beat 'The Silo'. After the first 2 houses, the last few were pretty easy in comparison.

Worst part -- in the silo, I cleared all the mortars and the tanks had arrived... climbing down the ladder, one of my AI buddies gave me a nudge and I fell to my death. Had to redo the mortar part again. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Beat the 1st 2 D-Day missions today, combine that w/ The Silo last night and I finished D-Day. The 2nd mission wasn't very hard at all, and D-Day (1st mission) gave me some initial problems, but once I got rollin' it was manageable.

I have 3 missions left and I'm done. The last 2 of Hill 400 and Crossing the Rhine's mission. Might try CtR in a lil bit.. need to chill out. =]

**edit** Just beat it!! Woohoo. Crossing the Rhine was pretty damn hard. Got lucky w/ the 2nd tank, he kinda just came around a corner w/ no troops. Feels good being done!

Edited by Eggnogga

• 2 weeks later...