why this game completely failed (in my opinion)

Violent Jmann

when I first heard about this game I was really excited was really looking forward to it. Repeating all the missions and multiplayer modes again, but this time in HD.

when it came out, I went out and got it. I was pissed when I loaded the first mission. It didn't feel like Goldeneye to me. They replaced Pierce Brosnan for Daniel Craig. A big mistake. Fans wanted a HD classic I only did one mission couldn't stand the change, I did look at the achievements and they were just as diabolical.

Now all the had to do is pull the game and re do it at least. I would have been happy with a classic mode where we could play as Brosnan. Playing as Brosnan should have been an option.

I hope the next Goldeneye remake they do is thought through very carefully and that they use the classic actors instead of the new ones.

Not having Brosnan killed it for me, I feel people didn't want to play a classic with Daniel Craig. Who doesn't even look like James Bond as he has blonde hair.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally playing this game after years of owning it. I think it errs too much on the side of maintaining the N64 look so it appears rather primitive for a 2011 game. Lot of bugs like enemy shots hitting me through walls (as opposed to barriers that degrade with multiple hits) and unexpectedly clipping through solid objects. I do want to set up a second screen and run the N64 version at the same time though.

Addendum: I shouldn't bother adding to an old thread about an old game but I feel a need to go on the record with this. I've now been playing for a week and it's joined my select list of games I'll never play again. I'll finish it out of sheer stubbornness but man is it a crappy pain in the ass. Hey, how about even more of getting swamped by waves of enemies in a confined space? I don't care if that's how the N64 version was; it was a weak cop out in 1997 and a weak cop out in 2011.

Edited by Gilbert Prime
Additional commentary

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

There is many reasons why this game was to "fail".

1) Nostalgia

Nothing will ever be able to replace the memories you have with the original Goldeneye. Be it the levels, the "impressive for the time yet ridiculously funny now" animations of the ennemies, the story, but more than anything else the simple feels you get when you revisist it and remember your childhood. This game by changing a bunch of aspect kills that in a way.

2) Daniel Craig

Obviously a matter of liscencing. They can't just stamp Brosnan face on and thats it. They have to get permission (and pay) the guy. Craig was still under contract (and still is in 2018) as they made the game, so using him was a no brainer. They could had go out of there way to get Brosnan, like they did Sean Connery in the PS2 game From Russia with Love, but to them it was probably not worth it. I heard something about Brosnan saying NO to come back too... Same issues for Famke Jensen and Sean Bean, altough there is no excuses for giving them the most generic boring face ever. Alec look like a car seller ...

3) Decent game, but no cult status

Goldeneye was released at the right time in the right place. It blew everybody over. The remake is not a bad game, but compare to AAA titles like the COD of the time etc it does look a bit like a budget shooter. Nostalgia aside, this game was not meant and could never achieve cult status as the original.

4) Multiplayer

Nobody care for a Goldeneye multiplayer anymore. It was great back in the days because thats all we had pretty much. It was revolutionary. In a COD dominated world, why would we play the inferior Goldeneye remake? Especially since they tried making it feel like COD pretty much. If they had release the remaster version of the original then maybe out of nostalgia we would had played it a bit but this game was doomed to be empty 3 months after release...

Anyway, there is nothing much to ask. This game was never meant to become a huge hit as the original version. I think personally it served its purpose... It follow mostly the story, i do recognize the locations from the OG game even tough there heavily modified since the hardware permit it. I had fun playing the game personally even tough it will obviously not make my top 20 best game of all time list lol.