The campaign seriously sucks!

TTD187

Were they drunk when they made this? I have it on the easiest difficulty because if I put it any higher, the guys kill me even faster. Duh. But the amount of guys that's there is stupid and you finally accomplish something after driving through all the guard points and unmarked guard points to finally get killed and you can't even save at that point so you go through the whole thing again! I've never been so frustrated. The game is a pathetic excuse, why would they make something like that?? Please tell me!

• 2 weeks later...

The game is a bit repetitive, and yes, infinite respawning guard posts sucks, but the fact you can save at anytime eliminates the legitimacy of blaming the game. I understand you are entitled to your own opinion, but you are basing yours off of some miniscule issues to an otherwise solid game. I admit, Far Cry 2 is nothing like the last two, and is not as good as the other two, but I can't really say the game is bad.

Having a Malaria attack causing you to crash your vehicle into a tree at high speed only to be ambushed by 4 angry men in jeeps with 50 calibur mounted machine guns. Your own vehicle catches fire from excessive gunfire, you jump out and hear the loud rev of a engine. Splat! You've been hit by a enemy car and it's time to reload your last game-save.

Priceless.

But really, I played alot of the multiplayer when it first came out and I'm only going through the campaign/story now. When it's not total bullshit like variations of the above, I like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend looking at some youtube gameplay videos. Originally I was about to give up on this but found that I just wasn't playing it "right."

Take a look at some vids, give it another shot, try different weapons (hint, the sniper is awesome for thinning out the herd before you rush in), and always keep moving. Move, move, move.

This game to me is like Robotron 2084 (2D arcade game from 1984) that is done in 3D. You cannot stop moving, you are constantly being surrounded.

Hope you get a chance to sink your teeth into it.

I'm playing on normal with no problems really. Sometimes I die, yea, but it's never really that frustrating. Pro tip, don't rush into where a load of enemies are, they shoot you, duh. Hold back and pick them off individually. Pretty basic FPS strategy.

I agree here. Yeah the guard post respawns got annoying but overall i loved this game. For one it's just flat out beautiful in 1080p.

And imo it's the most realistic feeling game i've ever played. Everything from scouting an area out before charging in from using a map to navigate the world just felt awesome once i got the hang of it.

It took some getting use to but once i did i really loved it.

At first I freakin' HATED on the respawning guard posts, but you have to admit: if those guard posts were permanently destroyed, the game would get pretty lonely pretty quickly!

One thing that might have been better is that guard posts respawn only once per day, for instance, so that in a given day once you clear a spot, it's clear until the following morning.

If they did it that way, it might be interesting to have a minigame mode: "Clear all guard posts in one day." Or even an ... achievement!! :)

As I wrote on the xbox forums years ago, if you find this game boring, just pick up your pace: try and power into a mission area and finish a given mission in as short a time as possible. Don't hang back and pick people off: just rush in and mix it up.

If you do that I think your boredom will go away. Heck, even if you're not ON an official mission, pick ANY one of the "named areas" of the map and power into it, try and clear everybody out as quickly as you can.

Or try and do a named area with just a pistol... or just with flamethrower. It changes things up when you have to constantly stay out of sniper and rifle range and run right up to people and set the entire place on fire.

Or... do it all with the machete!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I dont think the game is hard at all. OK, im playing at easy, but i havent died yet i think. Just use the sniper or a shotgun, and they are down in one shot.

I got 430G's, and have not been playing it for over a year. Now i took it back again, im up at 500G, with the Ruthless and Goodnight Sweet Prince, and im asking myself.

Do you want to play a lot of boring hours to get the last max 150G (im not going for 221 damn diamond cases)?

No im not. Not right now. If you could fast travel between your safe houses, or something else so i didnt have to walk 10 minutes every got damn mission. Then i actually would enjoy it. I like the jungle and desert thing, the story is OK to.

But to walk that much, all the time. Damn it's boring.

Maybe i should try the MP, but i dont have high thoughts about it..

• 4 weeks later...

^ And you're asking yourself? What exactly? If the next sentence is a carry on that is not the place for a fullstop or a fucking paragraph.

I'm playing on easy and i havent died yet

'scuse me for being the give away but that bold part is a big giveaway.

I bought this game for 3 quid about 6 months ago, i've put off playing it at all because of what i read here....40hrs of wandering around doing collectables before i get a storyline if i go after achievements, if i dont its a second playthrough and still 40hrs of walking around before i get a storyline...

Fuck me they designed this game well enough to actually put off an achievement whore who actually owns it! I hate collectables, esp ones that take more time than the main story...

In know full well i will never bother with the MP, i never do if its a boosting situation, i dont care that much for GS, i'll sit and do singleplayer stuff alot, but not waiting on some random to help and quit once they get done and leave me stuck.

• 1 month later...

I rather enjoyed this game. Yes collectibles suck ass, respawning guard posts, enemies that pursue like dogs on heat and endless driving make this experience all dull....but still, i loved the setting, the story, the open world nature, multiple approaches to completing missions, the visuals, the weapons degrading was a nice touch (lent a sense of self control and survival) and the buddy system was cool too.

If you really hated this game, well, no one's holding a gun to your head. I'm pretty sure that Halo, Cod, battlefield or any other FPS will satiate your needs.

I got my satisfaction out it. Bam!

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite games of all time, I've played through the campaign on PC multiple times, 360, and on PS3. I can play it over and over and over. Heck, the collectibles don't even annoy me because you actually can use the diamonds for something. As for respawning bad guys, just find new ways to kill them, mix it up and keep it frest, lol. I've played through on hard without much problem (just a couple parts, like the boat defense at the beginning of the 2nd part of the game). I did try "infamous" recently, and yeah...that's tough!! My only real complaint is that I wish stealth was more a part of things. I really enjoyed sneaking into camps to assasinate the targets, and leave killing no one else, but I wish there was more opportunity to do things like that I suppose (and it's wayyy too easy to alert enemies, lol_ I mean, I'm driving their jeep, and the notice I'm their target 100 yards away...I should be able to get closer before they notice I'm not one of them) What I like about this game too, is even having played through the campaign 1/2 a dozen times, I still find new things. The last time I played I found a new passageway through a forested area that allowed me to wipe out a checkpoint by suprise. Cool stuff. This was actually the 1st FPS I ever played :D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had Far Cry 2 since January 2009 and I just can't seem to get into it. I remember the lead up to when this game was going to be launched, with Ubisoft bragging about how they had the most realistic looking fire effects and I was quite excited about getting it.

I don't know what it is but I just can't ever seem to grasp what is going on. I get where to go to pick up missions, but they all just seem really random and not related to anything story wise. I find the driving really tricky, especially when your character turns his head on his own because it's hard enough to see the road as it is. Almost everything about the game feels really awkward. I keep coming back to it but time and time again I find myself getting bored after about an hours worth of play time.

I'm kind of put off buying Far Cry 3 after this, but everybody seems to rate it so highly.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing Far Cry 2 furiously for the past few weeks, not allowing myself to play anything else until I finish it. The end is very near! I've finished all the collectables/side missions (the ones I can be bothered with, anyway - no diamonds) and all I have left to do is 4 factions missions and the end of the storyline after that. I feel that a few minor additions could have made this game totally epic:

• Fast travel between unlocked safe houses
  • No malaria
  • Longer respawns for guard posts

If they'd just removed some of the repetition and annoyance caused by the above, it would have made the game much more enjoyable I reckon. In saying that, it's not been all bad, and I've really enjoyed some parts of it. Sneaking about is great fun, as is getting into position and sniping your target from distance before disappearing back into the hills. Plus, setting stuff on fire is brilliant.

I'll still be happy to move on to something else though!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Having a Malaria attack causing you to crash your vehicle into a tree at high speed only to be ambushed by 4 angry men in jeeps with 50 calibur mounted machine guns. Your own vehicle catches fire from excessive gunfire, you jump out and hear the loud rev of a engine. Splat! You've been hit by a enemy car and it's time to reload your last game-save.

Priceless.

But really, I played alot of the multiplayer when it first came out and I'm only going through the campaign/story now. When it's not total bullshit like variations of the above, I like it.

Who's decision was it to add malaria and realistic gun jamming? So silly.

Lets not forget, spent 1 hour driving to a mission, complete the mission within 2 minutes of arrival. Spend another hour driving back.

• 1 year later...