Pros and Cons of downloading a game onto the 360?

BS411

So I never really took the time to download any of my games right onto my 360 hard-drive and I'm thinking that I probably should start with some of the newer games i'm getting.

So can anyone tell me the pros and cons of doing so? I've heard that it makes the game load faster but i'm not sure if this is true or not.

Thanks.

If the game gets scratched it still plays if you have it installed.

If you install it, it takes up memory space.

Yeah that's the pretty basic stuff but I want to know the pros and cons for playing the actual game.

Sorry I should have specified that.

It runs smoother, less noise.

^^This^^ and faster load times, in most cases. Also since your drive shouldn't be spinning all the time you should run a little cooler as well. No real CONS when it comes down to it really, aside from the space factor.

Edited by CouchOrnament

-Less ware on the dvd drive which will extend the life of it.

-Faster load times.

-Makes the Xbox less noisy.

-Less heat going through the Xbox because the dvd drive isn't running.

I recommend installing a game to the hard drive if you plan on playing that game a shit ton. If you're just playing a random game for 10 minutes then I wouldn't bother installing it.

Unless the game is halo 3 or something, there are no cons to installing a game granted you have the space to do so. The benefits vary game by game, i know Smackdown vs Raw 2009 load times are twice as fast or even more so when installed. Plus less noise, spinning ect for all games.

Edited by hydrosugar

There are some games, such as Halo 3 and Oblivion, that run slower when installed. Newer games these days are fine, as far as I'm aware.

With regards to Oblivion I have heard this before yet my experience was different. When I played from disc the load times where slow and the game would crash a least once per session. When I loaded it on the load times where much faster and I didn't see a single crash.

there are no cons, only pros, DO IT, INSTALL IT NOW!!!!!!

I also recommend installing but I have noticed one CON. The more retail games I have installed the longer it takes for all the information to appear in the games library on the dashboard. Simple way around this is to only install the games you currently are playing and delete them as soon as you are finished.

Edited by Arduous Wolf

also, i believe it reduces the load times for the said game. the main reason i download to HD (only reason actually) is if the game is damaged and constantly skips / freezes.

It runs smoother, less noise.

i had a buddy tell me this last night while playing COD4, i was complaining that i dont like how loud this game is in my console. literally once you get off the dashboard my console goes into overdrive heavy metal concert noise, then if i pop in 100 different games it will be fine. can anybody confirm that it really does reduce the noise your box makes while playing a game?

actually MW2 was loud like this also, so im thinking i should prolly just install every COD game i play. its pretty much the only MP i play, and therefore i will be on the game hours at end.

You should install all your games.

Load times are irrelevant imo, and I haven't noticed a difference. But if you install your game, it won't run off the CD meaning you increase the life of those moving parts. You reduce the heat generated by those moving parts and therefore increasing the overall life of your Xbox.