Warning: This game is NOT an easy 1000

While I'm grateful to the achievement guide for saving me from what would have been the mistake of doing the other modes before the campaign, I think the guide underestimates the difficulty of this game for a number of reasons:

1. If you're new to flight games or even if you're a seasoned flight sim veteran, it takes a few missions (at least it did for me) to get used to flying the plane and using the follow cam at the same time. I can do it like a pro now, but it definitely takes some practice, and is certainly not a piece of cake.

2. The campaign missions can be a real bitch as far as getting Ace rating is concerned. Rabaul Raid, Top Secret, and Berlin are probably the hardest. Rabaul Raid requires you to pretty much kill everything yourself in a very unforgivingly short timeframe. Top Secret has you flying at breakneck speed through an ice canyon with some pretty treacherous turns that will destroy you if you're not skilled at turning. And, Berlin has you once again flying down a river at top speed while having to take out four radar stations that require some high-speed accuracy with your rockets. So, the campaign is not TOO bad, but it's not a walk in the park either. There is also a reconnaissance mission where you basically have to fly blind through a sandstorm and find three hidden German camps. That can get really fucking annoying.

3. This game is a bit of a time investment. You will need to get through the campaign and Ace every mission. Then, you will need to complete twelve additional missions in the mini-campaign. Six are bombing missions, and six are dogfighting missions that require you to kill 20 enemy planes with no wingmen. After the mini-campaign, you must do the Arcade mode. In Arcade, you select a plane and need to kill three waves of twelve planes each. You must do this with each of the 32 planes available to you to get the survivor achievement. So, in essence, you must kill 36 planes flying 32 different planes yourself. That will take awhile. Still after that, you will need to complete the Ace Killer mode, which is the same thing as Arcade, but you only need to kill one plane identical to yours with more advanced AI.

So, before you get this game, don't be fooled by the 3/10 difficulty rating. I'd give it about a 5 or 6, personally. The gameplay itself is fun and engaging, but you will likely be irritated beyond belief by the constant and repetitive radio chatter of your squadmates, as well as the campaign missions I mentioned.

Edited by edw211

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...