Actiovison Threatens To Drop PS3

Virtual Terror

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow," he continued. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony."

And that from the guys who sell peripherals who often cost well over an hundred dollars to buy. Activision is really getting too big for its breaches.

Realistically, Sony is in a bad place. The price on the PS3 is hurting them and they obviously didn't learn their lesson considering the price tag on the PSP Go. But Sony is an important player and it would hurt the industry as a whole if the PlayStation brand was to disappear. As many people have said before, competition is healthy and consequential for the end consumer. Believing otherwise just show a poor understanding of how this industry works.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow," he continued. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony."

And that from the guys who sell peripherals who often cost well over an hundred dollars to buy. Activision is really getting too big for its breaches.

Realistically, Sony is in a bad place. The price on the PS3 is hurting them and they obviously didn't learn their lesson considering the price tag on the PSP Go. But Sony is an important player and it would hurt the industry as a whole if the PlayStation brand was to disappear. As many people have said before, competition is healthy and consequential for the end consumer. Believing otherwise just show a poor understanding of how this industry works.

Well given your area of work i will take that as very credible. But i don't think it will be the end of the world. The PS2 dominated last gen and still had great games.

Well first off lets be real, it is nothing more then a threat. Not the 1st one to ever be issued to a company and of course it won't be the last. To drop a whole console would cost them (Activision) lots of money because of the titles that are already in development. Also with a huge console selling title like God of War 3 just around the corner, they are in no way gonna drop support. Sony will keep investing money into the PS3 till it makes them money they are to big of a company not to. So those of you who are thinking oh no Sony could become the next Sega, think again. People never thought that their was warrant for Microsoft to release the 360 do to the total $5 billion dollars in losses just on the the original, but look at it now. And as for the price cut that everyone thinks PS3 needs will happen but, only when either Sony makes a model with a memory card size hdd so they can compete with the 360 Arcade System sales or the Blu-Ray they are using either becomes cheaper tech. wise or they just decide to use cheaper (less reliable) Blu-Ray parts. But either way I think the best thing they can do to save the system is some how figure out what they need to do to get a model on the market that is $199.99 - $249.99 by Christmas time and they will be fine and see a sales increase of at least 60-70% during the holidays.

do you get all your information from wikiepedia?

Infinity Ward’s highly acclaimed (and thoroughly excellent) Call of Duty 4 has just passed the nine million mark in sales since launching in November. No really - nine million. If you take into account the length of time it has been on shelves that is a pretty serious return on investment.

http://www.ps3vault.com/cod4-sales-pass-a-milestone-2785

you really need to do some more research.

The PS3 dieing would be a bad thing. Sony has better first party titles, and all the third party titles are just as good has Xbox. To put wii in the same league with these is just trying to justify why you let your wife buy one. Only the first party titles are any good and those are iffy(i'm looking at you wiifit). If we have only the xbox and the wii, I think, well get better looking game with less gameplay. Right now the PS3 is the best bluray player on the market, that also does web browsing, they let you pust another OS on it if you want, and you could play games every once in a while. About the last time that one console did well for video games was with the NES generation.

do you get all your information from wikiepedia?

http://www.ps3vault.com/cod4-sales-pass-a-milestone-2785

you really need to do some more research.

The PS3 dieing would be a bad thing. Sony has better first party titles, and all the third party titles are just as good has Xbox. To put wii in the same league with these is just trying to justify why you let your wife buy one. Only the first party titles are any good and those are iffy(i'm looking at you wiifit). If we have only the xbox and the wii, I think, well get better looking game with less gameplay. Right now the PS3 is the best bluray player on the market, that also does web browsing, they let you pust another OS on it if you want, and you could play games every once in a while. About the last time that one console did well for video games was with the NES generation.

No

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/06/05/call-of-duty-4-more-successful-on-xbox-360-than-sony-ps3/

Call of Duty 4 has sold way more on the 360. And another thing every one has had diffrences on this topic and been constructive. Yet you just come across as being obnoxious and dilibertly confrontational.

Any more of it for the sake of this forum im not going to bother responding to you.

You all realise that this is never going to happen, CoD 4 sold a nice 4m on PS3, are they really just going to throw that away?

Ok, what you've posted is conflicting information that has yet do disprove Munkeh.

Most Developers will tell you that to develop for the Xbox and the PS3 is very similar, while they have to rewrite the whole program for the wii. That's why you see a lot of big name titles on the 360 and PS3 and not the Wii. For a developer to just drop a system altogether is rediculious, I could see them droping exclusives, but not everything for the simple fact tha sales of one would cover the cost of both.

It's not that I dislike the wii, I just feel that it can't be gaming when a 2 year old does it for fun and a 92 year old does it for excirsice. I do like some of Nintendo's first party titles. Is there anyone here that doesn't like mario?

Edit. Wrong place for this thread.

Edited by jimi_stephen

I do!

You all are fucking idiots. Its a console, so stop talking about it like its something you stick your willy in. Competition is a good thing, its what drives the industry and pushes Microsoft and other companies to develop new and awesome things. To want a Console to die just because you cant afford it is extremely dumb.

And you wont see big name PS3 exclusives on the xbox because they weren't developed with that system in mind or its restraints in mind. MGS4 alone pushes Blu Ray storage to the max, which is 52 gig. Box's play regular DVD's at 8 gig, do the math if you can.

I dont believe it... someone actually made sense in this thread :o

And seriously whoever thinks that the PS3 is gonna "die" because Activision wont support it anymore are stupid because apart from the odd good game and the IW CoDs all the PS3 will miss are the endless amount of Guitar Hero's... which with peripherals sell for half the price of a PS3 so I think the head of Activision is a cheeky bastard as well...

Ok, CoD 4 sold 4.34 m on PS3, which is outstanding as far as sales figures go on any system. Sure the 360 sold 7.47m (which is huge) but that's besides the point. The point is is that the PS3 is not a sinking ship by any means.

Fast fact: according to the same website below, Halo 3 sold 9.73 m and GOW 2 sold 4.92 m, while MGS4 sold 4.04m and I couldn't think of and find any other exclusives that sold more than 2 m.

source: http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=call+of+duty+4

Anyways, like others have said, the PS3 is NOT going anywhere. You people need to come back to reality.

I agree with the "needs competition" crowd. Don't get me wrong, I love my 360, but the main reason for me not picking up a PS3 is the price tag. I played some of their exclusive titles, which were pretty good, and I loved God of War on PS2 so would probably enjoy GoW3. I have said some bad things about Sony before, but competition is healthy in the gaming industry. Without it, what reasons to exclusive developers really have to make the best game possible for their systems? Money? Yeah, but nowadays a great name will draw a lot of people in, and with dlc lately they can bring in even more money. In the end, we have our Xbox's and they have their PS3's, but all the bickering aside we are all still people who love to game no matter what console we do it on.

But either way I think the best thing they can do to save the system is some how figure out what they need to do to get a model on the market that is $199.99 - $249.99 by Christmas time and they will be fine and see a sales increase of at least 60-70% during the holidays.

100% Agreed PW!! I think the blu-ray selling point is losing its charm as I've seen several stores with $149-$199 blu-ray players.

Seriously Activision will drop Sony when pigs fly out of peoples asses, ie: never going to happen. While the ps3 may not have an as large installed base as the 360 in north america they still do have quite a bit of consoles out there, and for a money hungry company like Activision purposly throwing away money is never going to happen.

Well seeing as we are all still in recession apart from India and China, Sony has reported losses in all parts of their current line up and I wouldn't be surprised if they closed down for a while.

If this happens. It like that one Youtube player sayed. haaaaa you have lost the prices is right. And I hope APPLE can join in afther the death of SONY. And then we can have real contest between the titans.

If it were as good as 360 I would get the Apple too.

Edited by master_shake_350