Similarities and References

BTroxell

Usually. OP's contribute to their own topics. Usually.

As for similarities... I'm drawing a blank. Yeah there's reference to different authors and Verizon but that's all I can remember.

Edit: Oh! Lord of the Rings.

Edited by no remix

I am not sure if this is what the original poster had in mind, but the Night Springs television show in the first episode is an obvious reference to The Twilight Zone. The show's introduction to the show takes a page from Rod Serling's episode introduction and narrative. There is that and the episode itself, "Quantum Immortality," contains a Twilight Zone type twist ending.

I just started episode two so I am intrigued over the content of future in-game television shows.

Whilst the references to quality television may be sublime, the use of product placement is not. But I will grant that referring to Verizon, Ford, Energizer, et. al. does lend a certain verisimilitude to the story. I guess my complaint is that it is just so prosaic given the whim and imagination of the Alan Wake saga (to date).

Go rent Secret Window with Johnny Depp in it. This movie is almost exactly like Alan Wake.....welll up until the taken starts attempting to rape you every time you take a stroll through the woods. Its also a great movie, so give it a try and see for yourself. ^_^

Edited by Miss Allen86

Well since this thread is general game discussion a spoiler warning should be implied, but.....

****SPOILER ALERT*****

My favorite reference was Odin and Thor when you see them for the second time in the mental ward, Thor using the plastic hammer to hit crap with, then later when you see the nurse knocked out there was a regular hammer lying next to her, so classic. I loved that.

And the other was Nightengale sarcastically calling you every author that was referenced in the rest of the game, like a reference guide in the game itself, that was funny.