Anyway To Recover A Corrupt Xbox USB Drive?

IncensedCape

I turned on my 360 before and the dashboard said that there were no profiles available on the USB drive, so I went to the 'Memory' bit of the dash and the Xbox is acting as though there is nothing on there. It asked me to configure the device as if it was brand new. All saves, my gamertag, DLC, etc are gone.

However, I plugged the drive into my PC and 'My Computer' states that there is only 368kb available out of 14.9GB. I used a data recovery program and it does seem that the Data files are still on there but can't be accessed. It recovers 'Data0000', 'Data0001' etc up to 'Data0016' and the filesizes add up to around 14.9GB. I've included a screenshot with this post.

Does anyone know if I backup these Data files onto my PC, use the Xbox to format the drive and then copy the Data files back on, will my files come back? If not, I really don't think I can be bothered starting every single game from scratch and will probably sell everything and go back to PC gaming. If anyone can help, thanks!

I wouldn't bet on that working. I imagine when the xbox sub-partition is created all the stuff saved into it later is intimately tied to that partition. They would probably do this so you couldn't just add bogus code to any file you dropped in there like savegames that unlock loads of cheevos etc. This would probably apply to the files you mention also, they would be treated as "foreign" files and ignored or deleted etc.

Have you tried all the USB ports on the 360? Tried it on another 360?

The xbox has encrypted the data so only its visible on the xbox.. You need to turn on hidded files on your pc to be able to view the data.. and then it'll be encryped.

If you know a modder/hacker.. he can probably tell you a program to use to pull all your files off the USB.

But!.. before you do that, have you tried pulling it in and out or putting the usb in a differnt usb port? my usb was acting up like this a couple nights ago and it didn't wanna detect anything.. so i removed and put back in and it found it.

Well it wouldn't hurt to grab all the files off the stick and copy them to a PC. Get another uSB stick (or format the problem one), set up a new xbox partition then stick it back in the PC and copy those files back on.

It could just be that the xbox partition bit is broken but the files are OK.

Well it wouldn't hurt to grab all the files off the stick and copy them to a PC. Get another uSB stick (or format the problem one), set up a new xbox partition then stick it back in the PC and copy those files back on.

It could just be that the xbox partition bit is broken but the files are OK.

I think you're right and that this is what's wrong, as the data files are still on the stick and the recovery program did mention a corrupt partition table.

Have a look here pal.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/99953-how-to-uncorrupt-profile-from-a-banned-xbox-360/

I'm not saying that your profile was used on a banned xbox etc but looks like a easy to follow guide for un corrupting a profile. It might help it might not. Good luck!

Cheers for the reply, but I don't think this is the issue - in my case there are no corrupted files, there's just nothing left on the drive at all lol. Even if it was, I wouldn't risk using anything from that site, I'd rather start all my games over than risk a gamerscore reset.

Pardon the French but FUCK YEAH, that actually worked! So glad I don't have to start about 50 games again...

Edited by AOS Puck

Glad to hear you got it sorted. For the future I recommend backing up the image of your USB - that way if it does get corrupted you can restore it easily. I use this program.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm making a backup as we speak, don't want to have to deal with this again!

my usb drive got fried after I tried using it on my laptop, when i plugged it in the screen went all flashy and blinky untill I removed the usb drive.

tried it on 2 different 360s and 4 different computers, it's dead.

You could try what I did, I was also convinced that everything had gone. 'Obtain' a copy of Easeus Data Recovery, use the 'Complete Recovery' option then backup the files in a folder on your desktop. Use the Xbox to configure the drive so that it is wiped clean. Plug the drive back into the computer, go into Control Panel and Folder Options. Enable the viewing of hidden files and folders and protected files, go into the 'Xbox 360' folder on the drive and delete the 'Data' files (the amount will vary depending on the size of the drive, I had 16 of them on a 16GB drive). Then, copy the backed up Data files onto the USB drive and everything should be back to normal. I attached a screenshot of the files to backup in the program, although I noticed that this site has resized it and you can't read it, lol.

Edited by IncensedCape

is there a way to fix a xbox HD that was formatted by accident? it was formatted to read as a 16GB flash drive and i accidently formatted it hoping it would go back, but it didnt and now it's just a blank 120gb hd that the xbox will not recognize

I'm not sure if you can return the disk back to how it was but it might be possible. At the very least it should be possible to rescue savegames etc off it. The rest you will have redownload after you recover your gamertag.

You could try these programs:

Xplorer 360

Xport 360

only found them from a quick google so take all the usual precautions etc.

• 2 months later...

[quote=

Pardon the French but FUCK YEAH, that actually worked! So glad I don't have to start about 50 games again...

O great Wizard Please Enlighten me in how you fixed this for I have foolishly followed in your footsteps

O great Wizard Please Enlighten me in how you fixed this for I have foolishly followed in your footsteps

From what I read, it looks like he used a data recovery tool (He used Easeus, which I can vouch for as I used it to partition my PC's HDD & it's free <3...but I doubt it matters what you use, if you already have one) to back up all the data on his USB to his PC, then he formatted the stick on his xbox, and copied all the stuff from PC back to USB.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You could try what I did, I was also convinced that everything had gone. 'Obtain' a copy of Easeus Data Recovery, use the 'Complete Recovery' option then backup the files in a folder on your desktop. Use the Xbox to configure the drive so that it is wiped clean. Plug the drive back into the computer, go into Control Panel and Folder Options. Enable the viewing of hidden files and folders and protected files, go into the 'Xbox 360' folder on the drive and delete the 'Data' files (the amount will vary depending on the size of the drive, I had 16 of them on a 16GB drive). Then, copy the backed up Data files onto the USB drive and everything should be back to normal. I attached a screenshot of the files to backup in the program, although I noticed that this site has resized it and you can't read it, lol.

ARGHHHH IT ALWAYS WANTS ME TO FORMAT ON MY XBOX IT NEVER WORKS WHAT EXACT FILES DO I COPY AND WHERE EXACTLY TO?

is there a way to fix a xbox HD that was formatted by accident? it was formatted to read as a 16GB flash drive and i accidently formatted it hoping it would go back, but it didnt and now it's just a blank 120gb hd that the xbox will not recognize

use xport 360. you can find it on google and unlike explorer, it has only one version that is constantly updated to work with bigger hdds it also now has an undelete mode so that might help and you can also use it to back up your entire hdd and restore it from there as well. i've had to use it after my brother corrupted everything on my 120gb (dont ask how, i still havent figured out what he did) and no you won't get banned for using this or modio or usb xplorer. modio is also a gamesave modding tool. don't use the tools and you'll be fine. just the functions: open a save (also opens profiles,pictures,etc.), open from a device, and explore a device. if you need help with using modio or xport 360 pm me. you can find modio on game-tuts.com and i dont remember xport's product page so try googling version 2.12. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm making a backup as we speak, don't want to have to deal with this again!

I think he did, haha.

I have this same problem... trying recovery right now but cant view your image because I have not posted 5 times I guess.... hopefully I can get this figured out, I cant seem to see more than 4 files on my usb drive even with folder options set to show everything in win7... modio, xport, xplorer dont show the drive as being xbox 360 usb stick...

So basically, I did a raw backup of entire disk img and have that backed up, im using recovery wizard for complete, but all i see is data001 type files what should I be seeing..

my problem started when I went to loading screen playing game from dvd and installed to usb drive, (loading was taking forever off dvd)... screen froze and when I realized nothing was happening I reset... no profile, no data no nothing... hopefully I can backup and restore

attempting recovery right now, when I put the usb drive back into the xbox it said data loss test failed and I couldnt use, put back into computer, formatted and put back into xbox and passed all checks with flying colors... hope this works... wish me luck

no such luck, attempting some other stuff... man I hate this...

recovering the data and trying to find it with any program i can, modio or anything... everytime i put it in the xbox it shows a few files and a .tmp file all corrupted.

• 3 weeks later...

So I searched these forums for help today when I was trying to solve my own problem with my USB Partition seemingly corrupted. The methods explained here didn't work for me, but led me to a different forum that had something that did work for me. I wrote a reply there, and wanted to post it here too just in case anyone was having a situation very similar to mine.

In my case, I didn't need any recovery software or hacks, and it was fairly quick once i knew what i needed to do. i thought it might be useful to folks, so I wanted to put it here too. thanks for the info; it got me on the right track.

This last week Microsoft released an update for the Xbox 360 to allow use of USB Flash Drives as a large memory card -- up to 16GB. It can be used for game saves as well as download content -- which is great for those of us with the original 20GB hard drive still.

On your Xbox, select "My Xbox" then "System Settings" and choose "Memory". When you select your USB stick, you can choose "Configure Now" to erase the memory card and use the entire drive for you XBox -- up to 16GB. If you choose "Customize" you can select the amount of space you want to use, so you can still store other data on your flash drive. (When it is setup, 512MB of space is reserved for System usage, and the rest is available for use.)

If you want to store your profile and game saves on your USB drive, you can backup the files on your computer. Also, you can install games and save download content. As a test, I installed Forza 3 to my 16GB drive and the game menus -- especially cycling through all the cars in my garage -- are far more responsive. I plan on keeping one stick for just my profile and game saves (and maybe Rockband songs to take with me) so I can easily back up my saves now.

Backup/Restore how to:

When you setup your flash drive, it creates a folder called "Xbox360" and a series of files. "Data0000" is the system file, "Data0001" seems to be some sort of error checking file, and your save space is split into 1GB files starting with "Data0002" and continuing in sequence. You can copy this entire folder to your computer (or burn a backup). To restore, setup a new memory stick with the same space allocated. For example, if you used all of an 8GB stick and you need to restore to a new 16GB stick, you must manually select the same size as you created on the 8GB stick. Next, use your computer to overwrite the files starting with "Data0001" -- do NOT overwrite "Data0000" which is a system file. Then plug the drive back into the xbox and all your data should be viewable.

I just wanted to thank you for your post, you saved me from quite a bit of grief and headaches. I made a 16GB partition on a harddrive i use for work around when they first released this update, and it had been fine up until recently when the drive started acting up and getting slow. Suddenly my Xbox wasn't able to recognize the data and ignored the partition, asking me to make a new one or wipe the drive, even though I could clearly see the Xbox360 folder and files intact.

I searched around a ton of forums and was even chatting with Xbox Tech Support about this. I came upon the "repartition your drive" method on a different board, but it wasn't working. what did work for me was the mention you made that you SHOULD NOT overwrite the Data 0000 file when overwriting the new data files and to start the rewrite from Data0001. It didn't work for me until i followed this method.

Also, the second thing that helped was the tidbit about space -- i chose to allocate the full 16GB through the customize route rather than configuring and wiping the drive because that's what I did when I set up the problem HDD originally. When i was first trying this out, I kept trying the full wipe option with no luck, so I think you have to definitely have to emulate what you did when you first set up the partition.

After explaining my situation to the tech support guy, he told me that my data was probably fine, but the file that file that the xbox uses to recognize the partition seemed corrupted and that there was no way to fix that, so there was no way to read or retrieve the data through the Xbox 360.

I told him that i was considering backing up the data, wiping the drive and copying it over, and while he mentioned it wasn't recommended to do this cuz data might get corrupted down the line sometime, he said he'd probably do it himself if it was his save data, and that I should move it to the main HDD on the 360 immediately if I was able to recover it.

He didn't mention anything about keeping the newer Data 0000 system file though. I wonder if that's because Microsoft considers that tampering in a way, and they don't wanna talk about the in-and-outs of how this all works for fear of aiding people that wanna hack the machine or whatever, but he gave me some legitimate advice that led me to here.

In my case, I had a spare HDD that i already wiped a while ago, so I transferred the data from the problem HDD to my computer, then i set up the partition on this spare HDD, then copied the necessary files over onto it, and it worked just fine. That way just in case something went wrong, the original files are still intact.

I'm extremely glad i came across this post -- I had my Borderlands and Mass Effect 1 and 2 game saves on that partition, amongst other game saves important to me, and thanks to you, i was able to get them back and put them back on my main HDD -- this thread saved my ass. Signed up just to thank you, and to tell anyone in a similar situation to try this out before giving up. THANK YOU!!!

• 1 month later...

Well, to those of you who were like me and desperate for a solution and all your internet searching didn’t work for you, here’s what I recently did and it’s worked twice for me (once in October 2011 and again Jan 2012).

First of all, I have a modded console and my profile has been banned from Xbox Live for a few years but I never go online anyway, so it was no big deal plus without a live account, I couldn’t recover my gamer tag anyway.

Second, what was happening to me (like so many others) is that I’d be playing just fine but once I did anything new that saved something to the hard-drive, (like if I’d get a new achievement or even make setting changes and saved them) my gamer score would become 0, none of my changes would save and my avatar and wallpaper would disappear when I returned to the dashboard. The only way to clear it was to sign out and sign back in or turn off the console and restart it. Everything saved would be lost but it’d go back to what I had before playing.

From what I understand, some consoles don’t clear the cache, even when you manually try to clear them under System, memory from the dashboard. So here’s what I did:

THE FIX: I found the easiest way to update the system cache was to make changes to your Avatar! I know this sounds crazy, but it honestly works! When your console sees your profile, it saves a cached version so it doesn’t have to keep reloading it. By making a change (it should be a big change, so remove all your extras accessories or add lots of extras, whatever it takes to change your profile file-size. If you have earned any game awards, use those!) I added the Portal 2 Awards to my avatar and because they made my profile grow by about 100Mg & that was enough!

You can also do it with changes to the Wallpaper but it has to be an image large enough (or small enough) so the console see’s that a change has been made and so the cache has to be updated as a result.

I know this sounds kinda crazy, but if you’re desperate like I know I was, you should try it. It only takes 2 minutes. For many days I didn’t know what to do until I was annoyed and just made changes to my avatar and suddenly I noticed the free disk space on my hard-drive went from 6GB to 5.9 GB and that was enough. I started playing again, and it worked!

I don’t know what causes this issue in the first place but I’m happy that for those of us who can’t recover a gamer-tag at least can try this to fix it.

So give it a try. If it doesn’t work, I’m sorry but at least it’s a quick easy thing to try, and even recovering gamer tags or using the flag removers take longer.

Good luck.