Initial impressions

One1 Man Clan

It's fast. That's the first thing you notice. The quickstep feature and the faster base movement speed make sure.

Story mode was lame, online is greatly improved, and some of the bonus modes are really hard to the point of insanity.

Overall its awesome. The new mechanics will take time to get used to(critical edges are straight forward, but brave edges allow for craziness that i can't do but that the computers love to throw in my face.

I like it, and it definitely isn't quite the same. I'll agree it's faster, that's for sure. Though to me, it feels like combat is more segmented into blocks, with stop-and-go, rather than the fluidity of past or other fighting games. There's plenty of changes that make things harder to do, but are for the better overall, such as not being able to grapple immediately out of guard. I also, unfortunately think that it feels like whomever lands a combo first, wins, instead of the traditional trading of blows, it's gone down to who can lock-up who first. It feels harder to land (pressing A (G in-game terms) as you hit the ground to stand up immediately) or just recover from attacks in general.

I do and I don't like the new flashy critical and brave edge combos. I'm sure they appeal to people of the Super Street Fighter type, but I'd rather not have them.

AI seems to have gotten better which is a plus. I earlier tried running arcade with Viola, on easy, and got raped repeatedly by Nightmare on the 6th round, who I swear was not acting at Easy level. (with all his BS combos, and non-stop attacks...I hate you Nightmare!)

I also have to agree Story mode is a waste of time. I have yet to try online but I hope for the best.

Edited by HeavenSoldier

My impressions so far:

This game is not quite up to the standard of previous titles. Arcade mode lacks cutscenes, the roster is somewhat disappointing (Who cares about Enzio?), Storymode is the worst of any series...I HATE playing sword/shield characters and it's lazy (Drawn) cutscenes are atrocious. Graphics are about the same as SC4. Not sure what to make of it honestly. The death of a franchise? The extensive weapon variety is gone. From what I can tell character endings are gone. I just finished two arcades with two different characters and no ending whatsoever. SC5 focus's all it's energy into online mutliplayer and that's the ONLY category it improves over SC4.

Edited by Vermillion Haze

I agree with most of the above comments. There isn't much fluid to your movements. Although the game itself is fast, getting high combos is almost unheard of other then special attacks. Very Block - hit - block...repeat.

The story mode was really lame. There is no excuse for drawn cut scenes between fight to progress the story. The animated cut scenes (far too few) did look amazing though.

All in all...much more geared for the multiplayer experience. Not regretting this buy, but not as happy with it as I was expecting.

Not to mention the game is no longer about the characters and weapons but about how big a combo you can get. Makes me wonder when SC went back in time and became Tekken. Not to mention changing charaters movesets by removing common moves to nerf chasracters. One good example is maxi no longer has a standard sweep kick. In every other SC it was hold down and kick. I guess that made it to easy for whiners to get beat by a Maxi player that knew what he was doing and incorperated a sweep after a move to start a chain. Now holding down after most toher moves gives you his stomp. You can only sweep now after the start of a combo. I understand adding moves but not taking out basic moves. Also now guard impacts have nothing to do with block. Saw Nightmare and Killik both do a "special" GI with special animation that last for about 2 seconds, way longer than GI animations.

I dunno about the rest of this forum, but I play fighting games mainly for the story. Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Soul Calibur - I want a story that's in-depth. I really want to KNOW the characters.

This game threw all that out the window and focused the story on only a d-bag, a cry-baby who rivals Hope from FF13, and occasionally a guy who's a werewolf, just because he's a werewolf.

I would've like to know how Ezio got roped into this fight from fighting Templars (maybe using Soul Calibur to bring about their order over humanity?), the interesting master-student relationship between Taki and Natsu, how Voldo ended up working for Dumas, how ZWEI became a werewolf and how that affects the dynamic of his story (is it a curse? Is that the reason he's fighting the... ugh.... malfested?)

Sure, all of that may have been explained in some other media, but the proper place for this would've been the game! If I at least got a small cutscene for each character after Arcade mode, I would've been over 9000 times more forgiving of this game.

Oh yeah, lets not forget to mention the "gender"/style changing in the "lead" character Patroklos. He goes from using Athenia style (combo of Lizardman, Sophitia, and Cassandra) to wielding the mighty Soul Calibur, which turns him into a woman obsessed with revenge against Mitsrugi. Every character that has either gotten the Soul Edge or the Soul Calibur, whether in cannon or not, keeps their weapon style with the exception of some upgraded moves specifically for that weapon. Even Omega Phyrra. But Alpha Patroklos goes from Athenian style to Setsuka's style, a character that isn't even in the game to represent her style.

My impressions so far:

This game is not quite up to the standard of previous titles. Arcade mode lacks cutscenes, the roster is somewhat disappointing (Who cares about Enzio?), Storymode is the worst of any series...I HATE playing sword/shield characters and it's lazy (Drawn) cutscenes are atrocious. Graphics are about the same as SC4. Not sure what to make of it honestly. The death of a franchise? The extensive weapon variety is gone. From what I can tell character endings are gone. I just finished two arcades with two different characters and no ending whatsoever. SC5 focus's all it's energy into online mutliplayer and that's the ONLY category it improves over SC4.

You hit the nail on the head. Though, I like Enzio. This is definitely 2 steps backward for the franchise. I have a sinking feeling that they are going to give us the missing features/characters via paid DLC.

I'm glad there are finally some fan reviews up, I don't believe any web site reviews anymore after playing saints row 3....such a bad game.

I haven't really been excited about this installment since it has been announced because it just looked like an expansion of soul cal 4, and it sounds like the game really isn't that great, I will probably wait until it drops down too $20 at gamestop. :(