Glitched DLC Achievements Being Investigated By 343i

Fragarach Luin

I've seen quite a few threads being started on here that mention various achievements from various map packs being glitched and unlockable for quite a few people. Rather than make a new thread complaining about it and asking for self-fixes, I thought that a newsy sort of update on the situation might be better.

Right now, after reading various forums and doing a fair amount of boosting myself, it seems that the specific achievements that glitch for people are the DLC map-specific achievements that are cumulative:

Pigs Can Fly

Hello Nurse!

Ashes to Ashes

I See You!

Size is Everything

Clever Girl

Bird of Prey

Ironically, it seems that the more likely you are to have earned an achievement legitimately on a map that isn't in the correct DLC, then that achievement is more likely to have glitched for you. A Waypoint user named Hurricane Matt posted a plausible reason for the glitches in THIS thread, and so far the explanation fits every circumstance I've heard of in which an achievement glitches.

Thankfully, though, it appears that 343i is paying attention (finally), because they've begun responding fairly regularly in the thread I linked, so if, like me, you've had an achievement glitch, then your best bet is most likely to monitor that thread and hope that a patch gets released. Since this is likely to be an issue that will only grow over time as more people gain access to the DLC multiplayer through the new GOTY edition, it stands to reason that 343i will find it in their interest to update the game very soon.

• 5 weeks later...

None of my achievements glitched for me and I've gotten all the DLC ones. I bought the GotY edition in December (I hadn't downloaded any DLC before this), and I hadn't played Halo 4 for a long time before that (the last time I played was after the Majestic DLC came out), so I never got any updates after Majestic until I downloaded all the DLC and got the latest update.

Also, since I really don't play online for fun (I really suck so I boost almost exclusively), I had never fulfilled any requirements for a certain DLC achievement before playing my first DLC game. I had never disintegrated anyone, never killed anyone with Promethean Vision or with Active Camo on, never done an "Airsassination", never healed anyone with the Regen Field, and so on, so those requirements never accumulated on any map except the ones they were meant to when I played that specific DLC.

After reading about the glitched achievements, I was cautious when I played DLC's. I first played Bullseye/Champions, and I specifically went for only those achievements. I made sure that I never used a Forerunner weapon or did anything that was a requirement for an achievement for a DLC that I was not playing. Then I did Majestic, then Castle and finally Crimson. I had no issues with unlocking any achievement because I never fulfilled a requirement for another DLC achievement other than the DLC I was playing.

I was one of the lucky ones since I hadn't played any DLC before the last update, and like I said, I was cautious and very aware not to fulfill any requirements other than the DLC I was working on.

I really hope 343 fixes this for everyone's sake, but at this point, over a year later, I think it's unlikely. They really screwed the pooch with this and by not having standard permanent DLC playlists. People supported this game by purchasing the DLC. 343 is really not a fan-friendly company, a complete 180 from how Bungie was.

They posted a new thread about the glitch DLC achievements.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst236154p4_Halo-4-Achievement-Issues.aspx

I would recommend going over to that thread and posting your problem, since they think it's only a few players having the problem.

Size is Everything glitch on me, even though I now have 90+ kills with a detached Machine Gun Turret on Shatter.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that bugs me about this whole thing is that there are new post about the issues almost everyday about the problem people are having and this has been ongoing for months now, and we still have know idea if they are actually working on anything, I'm still hopeful for a patch, but 343 has really been a let down as of late.

• 2 weeks later...
Well keep waiting as they've been "investigating" this for over 6 months without any new information being released.

Yup. I feel silly now, reading my previous post and seeing the hope I had that this would be quickly fixed. Sadly, these days it seems that 343i is more concerned with regulating the forums, so that no posts containing even a hint of negativity toward them exist, than they are with even dropping a line on whether or not they have determined this to be an issue they'll put effort toward fixing.

I really am a bit in awe of how deep their fingers must be jammed in their ears at this point. In the thread that 343i created in regards to the problem, they've posted 3 times, and 2 of those times was to tell people what they can and cannot say in the thread. Meanwhile, they've managed to find time to censor 14 posts by various complainants, but not once have they managed to inform us of whether or not they mean to fix the now obvious glitch. This really is a grievous misstep of customer service, even if the glitches are eventually patched.

Edited by Fragarach Luin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Someone recently asked B is for bravo from 343 about the issue and the response was:

"This is something we're still actively investigating. I know it's painful, and it is something we're certainly aware of and prioritizing."

They say they acknowledge that the problem is there, now lets hope we can get a patch for the problem

the actual question is listed here

The shit thing is if you've done one legit ( maybe even multiple times) and haven't gotten it, you're going to have to luck out again to get it or boost it. I've NOT gotten 2 with JUST trying to get them legit and have completed the tasks a few times.. nothing. I bet when they fix it, I'll never be able to reenact the task needed...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today B is for bravo posted in the halo 4 achievement glitch thread on the waypoint forums:

"Hey all,

First off, thank you all for posting detailed reports of the achievement issues. Some of you may have seen my replies on the forums and Twitter, but in the event that you haven't, please know that this is something we're still actively investigating. We know it's painful and frustrating, and it is something we are still looking at, and not at all ignoring. I hope to have a more concrete update in the near future. Any official updates will be comminicated via this thread and other official Waypoint / Halo channels.

Bravo"

So we still have to wait and see for result, its coming close to a year now when we first started seeing post about the issue, maybe they'll have it fixed before the MCC comes out, but who knows

here it is on the forums: here

Edited by Angrym0nkey
adding a link